FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Big water perch....  (Read 14874 times)

Spencerville

Big water perch....
« on: Jul 04, 2020, 04:56 AM »
I see some action has been working around Michigan city, has anyone been out of New Buffalo? Going to try to fish Monday. Maybe hit Indiana and the Michigan side....

fishcrazy

Re: Big water perch....
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2020, 07:56 AM »
You should be able to find them anywhere shallower than 25. Good luck. Some days you have to work a little harder than others. Watched a few guys catch steelhead on a perch rig.

LundProv

« Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2020, 09:25 PM »
I heard a generalization on a text forum today that claimed the perch are biting from Hammond to Michigan City and all the way up to South Haven.  I would be surprised if you were not successful with this stable, hot weather.

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2020, 08:08 AM »
So is the perch bite related to water temp.I noticed the temp in Michigan city is 75 and 50’at st joe I’ve always done good when it’s 60-65 any ideas?

abishop

« Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 2020, 10:40 AM »
With the south winds and warm temps for the next 2 weeks the perch should start to group up and move shallow. Ought to keep getting better every day. I have to wait till next week to get back out.

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2020, 10:50 AM »
So is the perch bite related to water temp.I noticed the temp in Michigan city is 75 and 50’at st joe I’ve always done good when it’s 60-65 any ideas?

For me 67-72 degree surface water temp has always been ideal. With fish snapping in the skinny water. What the actual water temp is in 15-24 f.o.w., idk. Lol.

The teenage boys jumped in for a swim the other day. We were in 10 foot of water. They said 5 foot down the water was cold.

The surface water temp was 78 degrees in that 10 f.o.w.
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

Spooled85

« Reply #6 on: Jul 05, 2020, 11:47 AM »
Fishing was horrible this morning lots of boats out and not much catching at all. Ended up with two keepers in 4 hours ! Water temp was 73 this morning. Only marked one big pod. And everything else was scattered

abishop

« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2020, 02:34 PM »
With all the boat action this weekend I am wondering if they have been scattered. Just my 2 cents.

Spooled85

« Reply #8 on: Jul 05, 2020, 06:04 PM »
With all the boat action this weekend I am wondering if they have been scattered. Just my 2 cents.

The boat action I've seen this weekend isn't any different then any other perch season. I was told today chiefs bait has sold 600 lbs of minnows in 5 days. I would think by Wednesday it should be on fire as long as we don't get a big blow or alot of lightning with the storms they are calling for

staubsaugen

« Reply #9 on: Jul 06, 2020, 07:12 AM »
Buddy and I went from MC yesterday (Sunday) with similar results as others. We managed to scratch out a dozen fish. Definitely found some fish, but they were reluctant to bite. Hope to get out again soon!

bigr

« Reply #10 on: Jul 06, 2020, 07:29 AM »
I've never fished the big lake but years ago I had buddies that would buy several dozen soft craws and use for perch. Is minnows the bait of choice or would craws including white meat from tail be better if I could get them. Fat heads or shinners? Thinking of heading up for a new challenge. Won't be for a week or two.

fishcrazy

« Reply #11 on: Jul 06, 2020, 07:59 AM »
Soft craws always a good choice   Ah the old shiner or fat head debate. I like baby shiners. Some days fat heads work best. Mix it up

bigr

« Reply #12 on: Jul 06, 2020, 10:00 AM »
Just picking peoples brain here. Do the shinners or minnows need to be very lively or just fresh looking since it's hard to keep them alive this time of year. If you could get any bait, craws or fish or other what would you experienced guys choose? Here's a couple more what might seem like dumb questions. Keep in mind I'm I've never fished the big lake and I can't really find answers in the Indiana reg book on lake Michigan waters. Number of hooks per line and I'm guessing a perch spreader that may have as many as three single hooks is considered one bait if they are made as such. So three hooks on a single pole with as many as three poles per person. Is a trout stamp required to fish for perch OR trout if you do not keep the trout?   

Spooled85

« Reply #13 on: Jul 06, 2020, 10:56 AM »
I've always used shiners or fatheads both have always worked for me they are not that hard to keep alive I have an insulated bait box with a pump and I never have minnows died in the heat I even bring mine home leave the area later running and change the water every day with ice in it and I can save my bait till the following weekend. You don't need a trout stamp to fish for them most everybody who fishes the lake goes to chiefs bait and tackle on highway 12 and buys The Perch killer rigs or make there own. they have them in a single hook with a blade and some beads kind of like a crawler harness you would use for walleye or they have them as a 2-foot leader with two hooks with a fly tied on them and about a quarter ounce weight clipped to the bottom just lowered off the side to touch bottom real up half a turn you want to be close to the bottom.

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #14 on: Jul 06, 2020, 10:44 PM »
Bait of choice... pinchers from soft craws. If i cant get those then baby roaches is a close tie with shrimp.  After that. Rosy reds. Then finally i will buy fathead minnows.

As far as the minnows being fresh or lively. I prefer mine to be rather fresh and lively. But have a buddy i fish with regularly, and he uses the dead roaches and does just fine.

So, i dont throw the dead ones out until we are done fishing. I maintain them with ice while fishing and an aerator. Will even keep them over night for nexg days adventure if i know im going back.
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.