FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Big water perch....  (Read 14877 times)

bigr

Re: Big water perch....
« Reply #30 on: Jul 08, 2020, 05:56 AM »
Here's another crazy question. If a person wanted to fish from a kayak and winds stay from south southwest at low numbers like they are now and forecasted to remain about the same could I reach the perch waters easily enough and is there a point of entry that could make reaching the area easier, say like the Indiana dunes beach area.

Spencerville

« Reply #31 on: Jul 08, 2020, 07:57 AM »
I've seen guys on st. Clair couple miles out..  just got to peddle or paddle...

Spooled85

« Reply #32 on: Jul 08, 2020, 08:35 AM »
U can access from Michigan City Beach but I'm sure u have to pay and as many boats as are out there big and small u couldn't pay me to get anywhere near them in a yak ! And it is a good paddle

bigr

« Reply #33 on: Jul 08, 2020, 11:25 AM »
Pretty much cost anywhere you access doesn't it? If fish are being found in the 12 to 25 ft range I would think that means they are not far off shore and I've read that out in front of mt baldy is a decent location right now. The at the dunes would be an easy drag across the short beach and a very short paddle to reach fish I think. Boat waves should not be a problem as long as some idiot doesn't come barreling thru group of boat creating a 4 ft wake. Even then it would only be a roller and not a breaker. Just thinking out loud since fishing from a big boat for me would be a lot more work. I don't mind alittle exercise and as long as I'm not in yak more than a few hrs.

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #34 on: Jul 08, 2020, 12:07 PM »
There are a couple guys that yak fish the perch out of portage every year. Have seen 2 of them out there already this year.

There are a few guys that yak fish the steelies and kings when they come in, trolling.

I have seen guys park at the pavilion by the river walk in portage, and access with yaks from there.

If you are going to be fishing in water upto 25 foot by portage, just west of the ditch. You will be within a half mile of the shoreline.
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

tater140

« Reply #35 on: Jul 08, 2020, 12:09 PM »
I have paddled off the of the state park beach before and caught a couple of perch.  No idea of the timing with regards to weather was right... and only went out a quarter of a mile or so.  If I remember that would have been mid to late July a couple of years back.  Definitely possible to do... and a flag would be a good idea.  I do remember I had the wind push me down the beach more then i thought and it was a bit of work getting back. 

abishop

« Reply #36 on: Jul 08, 2020, 01:15 PM »
My son is going with a guy who booked a perch charter tomorrow morning. Havent seen any perch charters (didnt look), but most charters are after the chrome? How much does a perch charter go for these days?

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #37 on: Jul 08, 2020, 05:37 PM »
My son is going with a guy who booked a perch charter tomorrow morning. Havent seen any perch charters (didnt look), but most charters are after the chrome? How much does a perch charter go for these days?

They are going to be going with doug strempluski (spelling on that??) Most likely. I think he is like 75 or 100 bucks a guy. He is in the calumet river all winter long. He is a Retired carpenter i think?
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

redjones

« Reply #38 on: Jul 08, 2020, 08:58 PM »
Talked to a friend of mine a little bit ago he said they fished East of the ditch on the 7th and caught 20 that were in the 8'' range,got on the water around 6am.
Seems like a lot of smaller fish being caught now,hopefully the size picks up for everyone.

Greg

Spencerville

« Reply #39 on: Jul 09, 2020, 02:19 PM »
So... made trip up on Wednesday with my 12yr old.  Went out of New Buffalo.  Headed north past red roof about a mile or so... lines in...2 right off the bat then nothing...after an hr or so a boat pulled out and told me his spot was on ( 60yrds away)... we moved in and proceeded to catch. Ended our day with 4 hrs on the lake and ran out of minnows at 35 nice perch and 2 questionable fish at the cleaning table but I managed a couple more pieces of fish from them. Got out late... 830 MI time was home and in the pool with a mixer by 5pm. Didnt get any perch pics...sorry for that but we did do alot of sorting...I'm sure we could have scratched a limit with more bait.

bigr

« Reply #40 on: Jul 10, 2020, 05:22 AM »
That's called living the dream.

staubsaugen

« Reply #41 on: Jul 10, 2020, 10:14 AM »
Buddy and I took our 6 and 7 year olds out on Wednesday. Managed a decent mess of perch. Best parts were watching the young ones catching some, and just as we were pulling up anchor buddy's pole doubled over and drag started screaming. Well, after a good fight on the ultralight we managed to get an 8lb steelhead into the boat with no net. I had actually thought that morning to not bring a net just to tempt the fish gods. Guess it worked. We celebrated with a swim and lunch on the beach.

RoeBoat

« Reply #42 on: Jul 10, 2020, 02:15 PM »
Who needs a fish picture when you get a picture of your kid like that?!!  Glad you got some!  Was going to try this weekend but I guess it will wait will this north wind and cold front.  More steady hit coming though.

hounds

• If it were easy !!! Everyone would do it!
« Reply #43 on: Jul 10, 2020, 02:35 PM »
Steelhead on perch rod!!!  There is nothing better ;D  Did it take you down to the knot on the spool?

abishop

« Reply #44 on: Jul 10, 2020, 02:44 PM »
Got up at 2 30. Turned on the weather and with all the thunder and lightening and changing winds I decided to go back to bed. Did anyone venture out?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.