FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Leech Lake Trip  (Read 1293 times)

Teacherpreacher

Leech Lake Trip
« on: Sep 10, 2020, 08:05 AM »
Since not much chatter on here today will share a happening while fishing Leech Lake last week.
We were fishing outside the wild rice patches. Sometimes 25 yards out, other times 100 yards out in 5-8 foot of water. Had to anchor with the constant strong winds.Real good weeds, cabbage and 2-3 different kinds. Lots of space in between. On 7 different occasions we had a northern grab a gill that we were bringing to the boat. I hooked a gill and it jumped clear of the water then a 2-3 lb Northern came shooting out of the water after it. Caught a 9" gill that a 6-7 lb northen had a hold of for a minute! They were hungry!
The rice was full of Teal and some Mallards. Saturday was Minn early Teal season opener and they were banging away.
Still lots of Cormorants on the lake. Several years ago the DNR came in and really knocked the numbers down. They also encouraged the locals to shoot as many as they could.
Of course they got pressure from the do gooders so they turned the control over to the local Indians. The Feds supplied them with plenty of ammo. While there last week we never heard one shot fired!?
Good Job???!!! >:(
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

Spooled85

Re: Leech Lake Trip
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2020, 10:00 AM »
Neat report . My wife had about a 35 inch northern grab a hill and come clean out of the water with it this past weekend. She thought it was the coolest thing. Man those cormorants really do some damage  I know the DNR in our area has found them dead before and dissected them and found over 30 or 40 small perch in one! We see them alot on the big lake while diver hunting

abishop

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2020, 01:01 PM »
Neat report . My wife had about a 35 inch northern grab a hill and come clean out of the water with it this past weekend. She thought it was the coolest thing. Man those cormorants really do some damage  I know the DNR in our area has found them dead before and dissected them and found over 30 or 40 small perch in one! We see them alot on the big lake while diver hunting
I thought that Chiefs bait on rt. #20 in Michigan City had a pic of one with its belly opened. I thought that there was over 100 small perch in its gut. EXTERMINATE- KILL THEM ALL.

Spooled85

« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2020, 06:41 PM »
Ya that was another one I seen. And chiefs is on hwy 12

abishop

« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2020, 01:21 PM »
Ya that was another one I seen. And chiefs is on hwy 12
I stand corrected, ty.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com