FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: River fun.  (Read 6482 times)

lowaccord66

Re: River fun.
« Reply #15 on: Jul 09, 2018, 03:37 PM »
You sir nailed it. The rod is where its at.

Rod is absolutely worthless if you pick a fish on 3x tippet and snap cause you suck playing your line or lack a solid drag.  You could have a $3000.00 blank and it would be toilet paper.

Now if your chasing dinky 9" stockies then sure...

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #16 on: Jul 09, 2018, 03:44 PM »
Nice catch with the new gear.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

filetandrelease

« Reply #17 on: Jul 09, 2018, 03:52 PM »

Nice pics thanks for sharing

zwiggles

« Reply #18 on: Jul 09, 2018, 03:58 PM »
Not to mention in the past two weeks 3 trout over 20" have been caught and released one bow was 24"

That sounds like a nice fight!

Got a pic of the bow, or any of the other holdovers?

Funny how, especially in the northeast, the big rainbows always seem to be in the rivers...

Garufi518

« Reply #19 on: Jul 09, 2018, 05:50 PM »
Didn’t your boy catch a huge bow earlier this year give the people what they want a nice big smoke shkw

boondox

« Reply #20 on: Jul 09, 2018, 06:07 PM »
Until you have a steelhead at the other end.  Then you def need a good reel.  The drag on my Orvis Encounter is not that smooth and it was a pain fighting a steelhead on a low end reel.

Drag is not always needed for steel head look at center pin reels..  most don't have drags .  but are as smoth as can be.. and have to be lightly palmed to land steel head.. I found some of the low end reels are just as good as high end..  except if buying a cheap $30 cabelas die cast reel..   versus a Ross momentum etc. There are reason that reels $30  and the Ross $500 aprox.. but seen a few reels that sell for around $150 and less that have had some d**n good drags in them!!  like a Ross Cimarron , a old florida fly reels fresh water reel model fw456... and orvis  cfo 123 size click and pawl drag reels. To name the smaller reels I got..   now compare the 150 to a 30 cabelas the 150 is way better..  but compare the $150 to a $500 reels there not much difference.. in the drag. All that's left is large arbor versus standard arbor, machining etc..  in those prices but that's how it goes..  the more expensive reel is meant to be a show piece not fished hard if you ask me.. more of a conousour type reel if you will..

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: Jul 09, 2018, 07:27 PM »
Ya boondox I agree and I looked at all of those too. 
That sounds like a nice fight!

Got a pic of the bow, or any of the other holdovers?

Funny how, especially in the northeast, the big rainbows always seem to be in the rivers...

I think I posted them if you want to go back through and look.  Granted those were all spin fish the so point being I nail one on 3x..Ill need drag.

The other aspect Boondox is one mans cheap reel is another mans expensive reel and vice versa. 

http://www.farmingtonriver.com/river-report/

Some examples on why you need a good drag if you fish this river.  Its unique because the river almost never goes out of temp so the trout not only holdover but reproduce naturally. 

filetandrelease

« Reply #22 on: Jul 09, 2018, 07:38 PM »
Back in the day we used Palm reels , mostly scientific angler for salmon and steelhead, some of us even used the martin 72s and did ok 😉 and if we needed a little more drag we taped our fingers on the other hand , I still use a palm reel to this day , and I still have a Martin 72 with the solid spool in perfect working order and somewhere a SA new in box lol

lowaccord66

« Reply #23 on: Jul 09, 2018, 07:41 PM »
Ya if I palmed a fish at this stage in the game I'd just be leaving it with jewlery.  I'm not that good...heck I was happy enough just to hook a few. 

I think Lance is going to come down and pin some soon.

filetandrelease

« Reply #24 on: Jul 09, 2018, 07:50 PM »
Ya if I palmed a fish at this stage in the game I'd just be leaving it with jewlery.  I'm not that good...heck I was happy enough just to hook a few.

I think Lance is going to come down and pin some soon.

You under estimate your self , I’m 62 and still hobbling around , I don’t do much of that anymore kind of lost my Hunger for it
Do you stay at altmar outfitters

lowaccord66

« Reply #25 on: Jul 09, 2018, 08:21 PM »
I haven't fished the salmon river yet.  I have stayed at Shane's a few times but we were always out trolling Ontario.  Seriously though Ive been using 5x because I dont have the finesse to hook a big one on 3x.  I just break off.

boondox

« Reply #26 on: Jul 09, 2018, 09:19 PM »
Back in the day we used Palm reels , mostly scientific angler for salmon and steelhead, some of us even used the martin 72s and did ok  and if we needed a little more drag we taped our fingers on the other hand , I still use a palm reel to this day , and I still have a Martin 72 with the solid spool in perfect working order and somewhere a SA new in box lol

Those old scincetific angler reels are the reels people use to gut a square out of the back side of the frame..  and pop rivit a thick piece of leather to.. they use it as a break to Palm the reel harder mainly for lager steel head.. same with those Martin reels I even seen thIs in a book a few year after I found out about it.. they would push there thumb threw the hole pushing the leather agaist spool..

filetandrelease

« Reply #27 on: Jul 09, 2018, 09:54 PM »

lowaccord66

« Reply #28 on: Jul 10, 2018, 05:47 AM »
Great pic Fred.

Baitbucket

« Reply #29 on: Jul 10, 2018, 06:43 AM »
  Seriously though Ive been using 5x because I dont have the finesse to hook a big one on 3x.  I just break off.

Shad are a BLAST on the fly rod when they are around. Allan and i got into a bunch on the CT river a few years back on the fly rods. Good times on a 5wt lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.