FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Big Carp Chronicles  (Read 14036 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Big Carp Chronicles
« Reply #90 on: Sep 16, 2021, 04:34 PM »
Well, today anyway. Back to mowing fairways tomorrow, have to fix what the newbie did Tuesday. Saturday is another story.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #91 on: Sep 18, 2021, 08:30 AM »
Went 2 for 3 this morning.

Top fish was a slug. 28” maybe 20#.

While I was setting up the carp rig I shot some pack bait into my area. Launched out the method feeder and hair rig and was adjusting the rod in the alarm when I had a huge hit. Hadn’t set the bait runner yet and it snapped the line. 30 lb braid. Lost the feeder, hair rig and fish. Good thing I was actually holding the rod. Probably would have lost that too.

Beautiful morning!
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #92 on: Sep 18, 2021, 02:29 PM »
Ugh!!!!
Ordered the wrong reel. Thanks to Amazon it’s no problem. They already sent a shipping code. All I have to do is take the reel to a ups store and show them the code. Don’t have to package it or anything. Free returns. Correct reel is on the way.

My bad.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #93 on: Sep 19, 2021, 08:15 AM »
4 for 4 this morning.
Set up at sunrise. Beautiful morning! First fish was about 3 minutes in.

This one was a fat one. Really thick in the middle.

Nothing really huge but a fish every half hour just about by the clock.
Would have stayed but my method feeder came apart and I didn’t feel like rigging up again. I’ll fix it at home and re-rig.

Fun morning carpin’.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #94 on: Sep 21, 2021, 01:29 PM »
Nice..
 But what’s a , method feeder?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #95 on: Sep 21, 2021, 06:12 PM »
Basically it’s a slip sinker that holds a pack bait.

So…you have your feeder on the line and attach a hair rig with a swivel. You set the hook and baited hair in the the cup, fill it with pack bait and press the feeder into the cup. What you end up with is your hair rig smashed into the pack bait on the feeder.

When you toss it out your baited hair rig is sitting right on top of a pile of chum. There’s a little more to it but that’s the basics.

All I can tell you is it really works like magic.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #96 on: Sep 21, 2021, 06:32 PM »
New to me..  But pretty cool..  Saw some monsters on sunday .  Havent caught one in a few years and I know there fun..     As good as salmon and less crowds .....   8)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #97 on: Sep 21, 2021, 06:40 PM »
Better than salmon. Don’t have to come up excuses for not eating them.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #98 on: Oct 09, 2021, 08:27 AM »
Tried to carp fish my spot on the canal this morning. Got there and set up only to realize I’d left my pack bait home. Put everything up and went back home to get it. Just got set back up and the packet boat fleet started passing. At least 20 of them over the course of an hour and a half.

Then they opened and closed the locks about 10 times. It drops the water in that section more than 6” every time. The currents just sweep the bait away.

Packed back up and came home. I’ll give it a try tomorrow morning.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2022, 05:40 PM »
A new season…got out this morning. Typical spring fishing. Fussy….fussy….fussy. Got the big skunk even though they were all around me.

There’s another day to come.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #100 on: Jun 30, 2022, 08:05 AM »
Can’t believe the carp are still spawning. They’re coming out of it though. Got one this morning.

There were a bunch around but they were still wallowing in the weeds.

Got a channel cat too.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #101 on: Oct 24, 2022, 01:17 PM »
Well…since I’m re-retired again…..I’m fishing.
Got2 nice ones this morning.

This one was a tank.

This one was springtime fat.

Could have stayed all day and caught more but I ran out of pack bait. Made a new batch of pack bait for tomorrow. I’m going to fish them for the next few warm days then go find some panfish for the freezer.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #102 on: Oct 24, 2022, 01:19 PM »
Nice ones..👍👍

PikeKing23

« Reply #103 on: Oct 25, 2022, 03:55 AM »

Here is my pack bait recipe, lol. Probably overkill.
Do you make your own boilies too?  I have made only 1 batch that has caught fish. Not even sure why those worked and the others didn't.  Still fun trying to find the magic mixture!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #104 on: Oct 25, 2022, 10:24 AM »
Holy moly that’s a pile of stuff for pack bait. Mine is plain panko, strawberry jello, corn juice and some ground up sweet corn. If it doesn’t pack and break down the way I like, I add a bit of flour. Simple and it works.

Tried several boilie recipes. Didn’t have any luck with them. I use field corn soaked in vanilla and water and a silicone corn kernel soaked in straight vanilla. My secret weapon is Pro Cure in sweet corn flavor. I coat the corn and hair with it and it stays for a long soak.

Went 1 for 2 this morning. First one got me into the weeds and rolled the hook out. Second was another good sized fish. Maybe 15 lbs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.