FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Skeeter Reese Rods  (Read 16782 times)

BBK

Re: Skeeter Reese Rods
« Reply #15 on: Jun 24, 2010, 06:16 PM »
Aren't the normal trigressive s-glass rods like over $200?  ;D

E-Glass and S-glass.

Skeet's are the only tri-gressive s-glass.

The ones snagger is talking about are straight fiberglass; heavy, awkward, thick, and no sensitivity. The skeet rod solves all of those problems.

slipperybob

« Reply #16 on: Jun 24, 2010, 06:59 PM »
I like the specs on the Tri-gressive S-glass but still somehow can't get pass the colors of the rod.  I already dislike the St.Croix LT rods for that blue blank and chrome guides, although they do have a very nice price point.  One also have to figure that the American market isn't always the only market.  The Japanese market can have some really wild colors in both rod and reels becuase it's all about signature/trademarks.  Skeet Reese, endorsed products - will have something to say "Look at me!"

I do find it kind of weird that his reels are Abu Garcia's and his rods are Wright McGill.

The guides on the spinning rods are kind of small.  Kind of designed for small ultralight reels only and for more of a bite detection telegraphing.  Putting a larger reel on it and feeling line slap and resistance on the guides kind of is a turn off.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #17 on: Jul 08, 2010, 07:17 PM »
E-Glass and S-glass.

Skeet's are the only tri-gressive s-glass.

The ones snagger is talking about are straight fiberglass; heavy, awkward, thick, and no sensitivity. The skeet rod solves all of those problems.

You want sensitivity, by a boron rod, I still got a 1983 Boron "Elite" 5' 8" medium heavy action from Bass pro , 80 bucks back then, indestructible and sensitive. Is there really a 200 dollar glass rod?  :w00t:
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

slipperybob

« Reply #18 on: Jul 10, 2010, 08:27 PM »
Boron is more of a marketing sham than Tri-gressive S glass.  That's all opinion.

If your rod is made of boron back in 1983, then it muse be a sprayed on boron particles to fuse into the graphite.  In other words it's more of a graphite rod.  Maybe it is, maybe it isn't...As we all know, broom sticks are more sensitive than fiberglass rods.  ;D  I like my broom sticks way more than my fiberglass rods.  I just find it hard to swallow the infromation from Winston Fly rods.

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #19 on: Jul 19, 2010, 07:15 AM »
I do find it kind of weird that his reels are Abu Garcia's and his rods are Wright McGill.

I find it funny that the rods are $90 and the reels are $400, seems an odd pair

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #20 on: Jul 19, 2010, 04:43 PM »
Don't be hacking on glass. I have a couple glass rods that i will be buried with!

X fast high modulus graphite has its place and time, but sometimes you want to slow it down and soften it up. The Skeete Reese rods look to be custom wanna bees, but it is a way to get into micro guides and a split grip without dropping $500 on a real custom. My first impression was that they were good for a factory rod. The one I played with had excellent "soft but strong" action for cranks and spinnerbaits.

slipperybob

« Reply #21 on: Jul 19, 2010, 07:48 PM »
Well Skeet Reese has some new reels by Wright $ McGill called a Victory.  They'll sell for around $100-150 or so.

BBK

« Reply #22 on: Jul 20, 2010, 12:28 AM »
Well Skeet Reese has some new reels by Wright $ McGill called a Victory.  They'll sell for around $100-150 or so.

And are ugly as sin

slamboney

• hook em so hard they go cross eyed!!
« Reply #23 on: Sep 09, 2010, 11:25 AM »
Snagger, I wouldn't use an orange rod either. Tell your buddy not to ask for any Oneida Lake advice until he gets rid of that thing. 

I bought a boron rod 20 years ago, it exploded on my second cast and I never bought another. 

If your looking for a reasonably priced cranking rod, think I paid 59 bucks for it, bass pro makes a good one, although it is made in China like everything else.  I bought a 7'6" medium cranking stick this spring and love it, it just lauches your bait, good sensitivity, and plenty of give for fishing cranks.
shut up and fish

beachcomber

« Reply #24 on: Mar 18, 2011, 10:48 AM »
I have the Skeet Reese drop shot rod and love it. I am sure i would love the Mojo also just picked one up for senko fishing cant wait to use it

PJDNYfish

« Reply #25 on: Mar 19, 2011, 10:58 PM »
I was also looking into trying one of these rods. What would they be used best for crank and spinnerbaits? 

bassandbucks2

« Reply #26 on: Apr 27, 2011, 01:46 PM »
I purchased one of the Skeet Reese 8' flipping sticks as I wanted to try a little longer flipping stick. I haven't caught a bass on it yet as all my fish have come on lipless crankbaits. I had a 7'11" BPS Extreme flipping rod that I really liked my hooking ratio with but I had it break on me one day, took it back got a replacement and about a year latter broke that one. That's something that has never happened with all of the other BPS extreme rods I've used over the years. I think it was a combo of the length, using braid (no stretch) and stupidity on my part (trying to swing a little to big fish aboard). I'm hoping the Skeete Reese rod is a little more forgiving with the triglass. i wasn't crazy about the yellow but i looked at a St.Croix Mojo flipping stick and just couldn't get over how far up the blank the first guide was. I'm sure it's supposed to help when flipping but it just seemed "weird" to me.

bassandbucks2

« Reply #27 on: Jul 27, 2011, 10:32 AM »
I really like this rod. I've caught quite a few bass and a few walleyes on it so far.  It's light, very sensative and the extra inches really help when setting the hook with a little slack in the line. I think i'll be getting another one sometime in the future.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #28 on: Jul 27, 2011, 12:00 PM »

You want sensitivity, by a boron rod, I still got a 1983 Boron "Elite" 5' 8" medium heavy action from Bass pro , 80 bucks back then, indestructible and sensitive. Is there really a 200 dollar glass rod?  :w00t:

Snag, you and me are exactly the same man!!  I just can't get over the bright colored rods.  It just shows what the fishing industry is driven by.

also, I still have a couple of my dad's BPS boron rods.   They are pretty sweet.   here is some info on Boron Rods http://www.fishingloft.com/boron-fishing-rods.html

OTIS

« Reply #29 on: Jul 27, 2011, 01:56 PM »
I wouldn't buy anything with Skeeter Reese or any other "Pro's" name on it.  Those rods Skeeter Reese rods look like they are made in China.  Half of these guys are morons (Hank Parker for example).  Same goes for those carrot stick rods.  Carrots are for horses.  If you want a good rod buy a St. Croix or a G. Loomis, end of story.

As for boron rods, back in the 80's my father bought a couple blanks from Cabalas on closeout.  We had them tied up as bait casters (the old pistol grip style) and spinning rods.  The spinning rod is still one of my favorite rods.  I wish they still made the blanks.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.