FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Shaky Head Speak  (Read 12479 times)

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
Shaky Head Speak
« on: May 18, 2011, 09:18 PM »
OK, how many of you are into fishing with shaky heads & shaky worms?  Which ones do you prefer or have had success with, and why?  

In the past, I've done well teaming Chompers Football Jigs with Venom floating worms.  I've also done well with Zoom Trick Worms.  I'm looking at trying a couple other jig styles.  Here are the ones I'm looking at below.  Anyone try them and if so, how'd you do?

http://www.megastrikefishingproducts.com/shop/pro-series-shakey-head-jigs-grn-pump.html

http://www.omegacustomtackle.com/products.cfm/Jigs/The_Shaky_Foot_AKA-_Da_Foot_%284_Pack%29

Like I need more tackle  :rotflol: :whistling:

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
Re: Shaky Head Speak
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 09:39 PM »
Here's a good comparison video of a few brands of shaky worms testing whether or not they float:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_1BfYtffzg

BoutTime

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 10:30 PM »
Been meaning to try those shakey heads, but never have yet.

Maybe this summer I'll snag some.

TheDL

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 12:18 PM »
this might be a dumb question, but what makes a "shakey head" rig? from what I can tell it just involves a normal weighted jig head with a floating worm?  Looks pretty good, I'll have to try that
tight lines....

BoutTime

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 12:26 PM »
They seem to be more of a stand-up head that points down when resting on the bottom.

The floating grub tail would be above, and you can simply "shake" your rod tip for action.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 01:54 PM »
They seem to be more of a stand-up head that points down when resting on the bottom.

The floating grub tail would be above, and you can simply "shake" your rod tip for action.

Correct, in addition to causing your soft plastic to be elevated off the bottom, lure companies have been modifying them with weedless rigging like built in screw locks, clips, or fasteners so you can effectively rig your soft plastic weedless (almost Texas style).   Shaky (or Shakey depending on the lure company) worms often have a buoyant or floating tail to get that thing up in the basses face, or in some cases the entire lure floats (like Strike King 3X products).  That said, sometimes a good shaky jig head will allow a non-floating soft plastic bait to stand up off the bottom too.

This finesse pattern often compliments drop shot fishing, kind of the same line of thought when applying action only on the bottom instead of suspended or off the bottom.

BoutTime

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 03:48 PM »
Its fair to say someone could "hop" these rigs along the bottom to the boat then FB?

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 03:57 PM »
we've found two good patterns for the shaky head around here

early spring when the water temps are still in the 40's, working them through deep cuts that lead into shallow dark bottom bays - for largemouth

mid-summer  thru fall worked through the rivers along main river points and structure - for smallmouth

both times we use the shaky heads with zoom flukes on them with a steady, slow retrieve

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 04:17 PM »
Its fair to say someone could "hop" these rigs along the bottom to the boat then FB?

Yes...and really, there's no wrong way to fish them...  Let the fish tell you what works best. 

My favorite way to fish them, if you are fishing a particular spot and know fish are there, toss it in and let it sink to the bottom.  Try to jig the lure without moving it any distance, make that plastic shake and call those fish in.  Often they'll hit these when other presentations don't work.

BoutTime

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 04:37 PM »
Hmmmm, I could find spots to use these then.

Wifey wont like bringin home more tackle, but she just doesnt understand!

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 08:53 PM »
Wifey wont like bringin home more tackle, but she just doesnt understand!

:rotflol: :w00t:  I have to deal with the same problem BT!!!!!  I usually go to the Cheesecake Factory and buy her some cake to butter her up! ;D

BoutTime

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 09:26 PM »
LOL

Aint no Cheesecake factories up here in Maine!

jibbs

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 08:13 AM »
zoom trick worms for me..i like them around docks
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

fuldraw

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 08:27 AM »
LOL

Aint no Cheesecake factories up here in Maine!
[/quote

take a stripper trip to mass grab some cheesecake on the way and stop at cabelas on the way too ;D

BoutTime

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 09:09 AM »
Not sure how that would pan out FD, but it may be worth a try. Bahaha

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.