FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: lipless crankers  (Read 6245 times)

volume4130

lipless crankers
« on: Jun 13, 2011, 08:54 PM »
My buddy asked me to fish a small,local tournament with him this past weekend on a lake that I have never had good luck on.  Last few years I have had good luck throwing lipless crankbaits, so I felt confident throwing them at the tourney.  So I end up hooking up with 6 or 7 fish on the lure, but only landed 1!  They would be on for awhile, get semi close to the boat and then spit the lure in my face.  I was upset because 3 of them would have greatly helped our bag for day. 

Anyways, I've never really had a problem with hookups with that bait before, but for whatever reason, yesterday was they were not working for me...my buddy mentioned modifying the hook, by clipping off one of the barbs on the treble or even putting on single hooks.  Has anyone ever heard of this or do this with their crankbaits??  Maybe it was just an off day, but if a hook modification will help, I'm definitely going to do it!

Fishb4Family

Re: lipless crankers
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2011, 08:59 PM »
Mind if I ask what type of line you were using? What action was the rod, Im assuming baitcast? Might be as simple as changing out the stock hooks for some KVD triple grip mustad trebles. Thats what I do with my cranks and dont lose too many fish.

slamboney

• hook em so hard they go cross eyed!!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2011, 07:13 AM »
Use a rod made for a crank bait. They have move give that allows the fish to get a hold of the bait better. Also the softer action helps keep the hooks from getting ripped out.  I use bass pro's crankin stick. The medium or the medium heavy action in 7'6". 

Sometimes you just have a bad day though, maybe they'll hang on better next time. 
shut up and fish

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2011, 07:29 AM »
these two guys have it nailed. If you are losing fish, the two main culprits are your hooks and your rod.

If the rod it to stiff you will force the lure from the fishes mouth, if it is too soft, you wont be able to get a solid hookset.. both would result in a lost fish during a fight.

Same goes for the hooks, the KVD hooks are a great choice, just make sure you match them up well, so you dont alter the baits motion

volume4130

« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2011, 01:40 PM »
Thanks for the responses fellas.  I don't think its the rod, I've used them on a few different rods, Bionic Blades, Ugly Stick, Quantum...all MH baitcasters.  Its weird because this was the only day I've ever really lost fish on those lures...but then my buddy was saying a lot of people cut off one of the 3 barbs, or get a double or single hook.  Perhaps the stock ones are just getting dull.  I'll look into those KVD trebles too...

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2011, 02:38 PM »
I agree, either rod or hooks, or both.

I had the same thing happen the other day, lost 9 out of 12 fat smallies on a jerkbait because I was too lazy to bring my cranking rod (it needed me to change out the line).  I had to use my jiggin rod.  That'll teach me.

Another thing is that sometimes you can go up one size on the hooks and change them out without affecting the action.  I've done that on my Rat-L-Traps, changed out the rear hook.  But, in my case this time, that don't fix stupid!

Regarding the hooks, the fish use the weight of the lure as leverage against the hooks, and that's why they pop out.  The stiffer rod causes the hook holes to widen which increases their ability to throw the bait.  I seem to remember some lipless cranks that had a sliding hook where the fish couldn't get leverage.  Some people modify their lures to to this on their own.  I've never tried it, but it makes sense.  I don't know if those lures are stil made, anyone know?

jibbs

« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2011, 06:26 PM »
its was due to the fact that it was tournament day...lol...i have lost some big fish on tournament day with a lipless...then i changed over to mustad triple grips and problem solved...i use a a long rod with a soft tip and match it up with suffix monofilament...jann's netcraft sells triple grips in packs of 50...good luck
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

volume4130

« Reply #7 on: Jun 15, 2011, 10:17 PM »
its was due to the fact that it was tournament day...lol...i have lost some big fish on tournament day with a lipless...then i changed over to mustad triple grips and problem solved...i use a a long rod with a soft tip and match it up with suffix monofilament...jann's netcraft sells triple grips in packs of 50...good luck

Thanks Jibbs, I think the rod set up is ok,  I usually use braid with a flouro leader, both at 20 lb test, 6'6" MH...  so I'll try the new hooks, I'm gonna need a lot because I have a ton of these things, so the 50 packs are going to be to good.

slamboney

• hook em so hard they go cross eyed!!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 16, 2011, 06:45 AM »
Thanks Jibbs, I think the rod set up is ok,  I usually use braid with a flouro leader, both at 20 lb test, 6'6" MH...  so I'll try the new hooks, I'm gonna need a lot because I have a ton of these things, so the 50 packs are going to be to good.

You might want to try mono, braid has no stretch, which can rip the hooks out, also doesn't allow the fish to such the bait in and turn. A soft rod and the right line does two things: keeps the hooks from ripping out and lets the fish get the bait into its mouth.
shut up and fish

jibbs

« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2011, 07:04 AM »
You might want to try mono, braid has no stretch, which can rip the hooks out, also doesn't allow the fish to such the bait in and turn. A soft rod and the right line does two things: keeps the hooks from ripping out and lets the fish get the bait into its mouth.
i agree...you need some give in that line...not only will it rip the hooks out it will make the fish come to the surface right away...mono will allow it to give with the fish...by the way i missed a giant smallie on a lipless yesterday during a tournament...out of the money by a pound...it would of helped...live and die...fyi on the triple grips...do not put them on until you use them...i leave my naked (just split rings) so they do not rust or i can move them back and forth from  lure to lure...they are expensive so rust is your worst enemy
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

slipperybob

« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2011, 06:33 PM »
Also look at how the other fish that you've landed are hooked.  Is lure engulfted or merely only swiped on the hook?  Is it a solid hook bite where mouth is closed onto hook and both upper and lower jaws are hooked or merely only one jaw only hooked?  You just merely adjust your hook set to it too.  Sometimes I upgrade hook size on the lure, sometimes I add an additional splitring to extend the hooks.

Somedays, my hookup ratio is just lousy too.  No matter how I change.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

BoutTime

« Reply #11 on: Jun 21, 2011, 07:48 PM »
I vote dull hooks.

volume4130

« Reply #12 on: Jun 21, 2011, 10:10 PM »
While on the topic of lipless crankers...I just saw a picture of a new Sebile lipless crankbait that didn't have a back hook, and the front hook was a double facing up as opposed to a normal treble.  It's supposed to be make it more weedless.  This seems like a good idea...Has anyone used this lure, or tried something like this?  I might try it on a few of the ones I have, along with some SHARP hooks :)

slipperybob

« Reply #13 on: Jul 07, 2011, 06:56 AM »
It just depends on how the bass are biting for me.  Somedays, the bass don't ever need to touch that rear hook.  The just seem to bite mid-body and the belly hook is what catches them.  Somedays, the bass would barely swipe at the rear hook only.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #14 on: Jul 07, 2011, 08:48 AM »
In my experience, losing fish on any crankbaits normally happens when fish aren't committing to the lure completely.  Your color might be off a little bit, they might want it a bit slower or faster.  Kinda like what slipperybob is saying.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.