FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: carolina rigs  (Read 3466 times)

jibbs

carolina rigs
« on: Jul 26, 2011, 06:39 PM »
boys the carolina has been hot in new hampshire these days...lots of bass in the 20 to 25 foot range and they are gobbling up the brush hogs...just curious if there are other fisherman taking advantage of this technique...type of rod you like, main line, leader line, size weight, and lure, etc...i have been using a 7 foot falcon low rider with 15lb pline as my main... with a 12 lb 36 inch leader...i fluctuate between half ounce to three quarter ounce weight and my favorite plastic is a zoom brush hog...i just purchased some zoom flukes and lake fork ring fry's to try...what a great alternative to the drop...hope the fishing has been great in your part of the country......good luck
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

bassandbucks2

Re: carolina rigs
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2011, 10:41 AM »
The Carolina rig has been working well in Central New York this year as well. I honestly never really used the old "ball and chain" very often, always preferred Texas rigging. Carolina rigging always felt odd compared to the Texas rig. I wasn't having as much luck Texas rigging  this year so I decided to Carolina rig one day and was pleasantly surprised with the results. I've been using a 7'4" medium-heavy BPS Extreme rod and a KVD quantum reel spooled with 14# BPS. For a weight it's been a BPS tungsten 3/8 oz. Then it's a craft store red plastic bead and barrel swivel with about a 20" leader, also 14 # BPS line. Then a 4/0 gamugastu EWG hook with a Zoom 6" lizard, watermelon red. the depth range has been 12-16 feet. I haven't tried the brush hog yet but will on my next trip.

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2011, 10:45 AM »
I do some carolina rigging, but not a ton, it is underutilized in Ontario for sure. I picked up a few BPS kits for carolina rigging and use them, easy to throw together. You want a rod over 7ft for sure, and with some good backbone

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2011, 11:54 AM »
A great and underutilized technique in my area. Try it with a senko some time ;)   

pipes18079

« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2011, 05:02 PM »
This is the one technique that never seems to produce for me been making sure I through it ever time I go. last year I had on decent day on Swains with it.In fact last year i draged up a lake trout in Winnisquam with a lizard. 

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2011, 08:21 AM »
I've had success on a weedy lake fishing the weed edges along points during the summer.  I use a 3-4' leader though to let my bait ride a bit higher off the bottom and when fish pick it up, they don't feel the weight.  I use 50lb. braided line as my main line with a 10-12 lb. P-Line Fluoroclear leader an a 7'4" medium heavy fast action rod.  I've also done well using a lighter spinning set up, 12 lb. braid/8 lb. fluorocarbon with lighter weight on a medium fast action spinning rod, just enough weight to get it to the bottom.  This works when the fish get really finicky.  I haven't used it much this year because I've been fishing different bodies of water where this technique wouldn't be my top choice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.