FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Good lure to replicate dragonflies?  (Read 8187 times)

Jay Fat City

• 24 States Down, 26 To Go!
Good lure to replicate dragonflies?
« on: Jul 31, 2011, 06:55 PM »
I was fishing a pond in Connecticut this Saturday and bass were literally jumping out of the water to nab these black dragonflies that were buzzing around. Some of these bass were three pounds and above. I had never seen anything like that before.

I was able to fool two bass by tossing a black Mann's hardnose frog to rising bass in the grass, but do any of you have any recommendations for matching a dragonfly?

Jay
Massachusetts * New Hampshire * Vermont * Connecticut * Florida * Washington * Oregon * California * New York * New Jersey * Utah * Arizona * Nevada * Wyoming * Montana * Idaho * Maryland * West Virginia * Virginia * Maine * Rhode Island * Colorado * New Mexico * Alaska

pipes18079

Re: Good lure to replicate dragonflies?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2011, 01:52 PM »
OTHER THAN CASTING FLIES YOU COULD TRY SMALL TOPWATERS THE SMALLEST POP"R"S AND TEENY TORPEDOS THOSE HAVE WORKED FOR ME IN THE PAST EVEN A  SMALL WEIGHTLESS GRUB

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2011, 01:54 PM »
tiny torpedo 

AquaAssassin

« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2011, 03:03 PM »
I would google it bro bc I have some soft plastics in one of my bass bags that are dragonflies. I wish they were still in the package so I could tell you who makes them.
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2011, 03:45 PM »

Break out the fly rod!
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

greensider

« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2011, 05:30 PM »
we ran into a lot of bass jumping out of the water for dragonflys allmost nothing worked then i tossed them a snagproof minnow just the right size i guess they killed it all day its now my go to bait when theyre hitting them thru the pads

Jay Fat City

« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2011, 07:48 AM »
we ran into a lot of bass jumping out of the water for dragonflys allmost nothing worked then i tossed them a snagproof minnow just the right size i guess they killed it all day its now my go to bait when theyre hitting them thru the pads

That's what these guys were doing -- jumping through the pads. I would have LOVED to break out the fly rod but those guys were deep in the muck.

Jay
Massachusetts * New Hampshire * Vermont * Connecticut * Florida * Washington * Oregon * California * New York * New Jersey * Utah * Arizona * Nevada * Wyoming * Montana * Idaho * Maryland * West Virginia * Virginia * Maine * Rhode Island * Colorado * New Mexico * Alaska

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #7 on: Aug 04, 2011, 04:31 PM »
The best dragonfly lure I have seen is the "River2Sea Dragonfly Popper".
I have never used them myself, but they look really life like. :)

WW

Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 2011, 12:57 AM »
That's what these guys were doing -- jumping through the pads. I would have LOVED to break out the fly rod but those guys were deep in the muck.

Jay
Just gotta go heavy. I built a 9/10wt for bass and pike. Beef up the leader and let it fly. Toss them a mousee if you want to have some fun ;D

I had a bunch more but my Grandson scarfed them up as I was tying them ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

BBK

Jay Fat City

« Reply #10 on: Aug 06, 2011, 04:19 PM »

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2011, 07:41 AM »
flys are a great way to go.. if you dont have a fly rod, you can by a casting bubble (essentially a bobber to allow you to throw flys on spinning gear). I use one all the time with success.

here is a blog I wrote on slip bobber fishing.. scroll to the bottom and you will see a casting bubble

http://bassjunkiesfishingaddiction.blogspot.com/2011/07/slip-bobber-bassn-and-crappies-too.html

my second option when fish are busting on bugs, is a Rebel Bumblebug or Crickhopper. both of these tiny crank baits float and have amazing bug detail and movement. I think the wings are a huge draw on the bumblebug. My biggest smallmouth today (6lbs) came off a bumblebug

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=39957&hvarTarget=search&hvarAID=&cmCat=2222206

Silentwarrior79

« Reply #12 on: Aug 10, 2012, 08:19 AM »
I know this is a little late but there are DragonFly spinners out there too. Made by Home of the Brave Outdoors.

jtk2

« Reply #13 on: Aug 10, 2012, 08:50 AM »
River 2 sea makes a dragonfly jitterbug. I dont know if i got a bad one but it always landed upside down...
id rather catch nothing by myself than alot in a crowd.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.