FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: No Boat? Shore Fishing Tips for Bass  (Read 4358 times)

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
No Boat? Shore Fishing Tips for Bass
« on: Aug 24, 2011, 03:01 PM »
Bassjunky and I have posts on our blogs on shore fishing that I think would benefit both anglers new to the sport as well as veterans.  Here are the links:

http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/08/shore-fishing-for-largemouth-bass.html

http://bassjunkiesfishingaddiction.blogspot.com/2011/07/wife-has-yoga-on-mondays-and-belly.html

In addition to what we've written, do you have any tips that you'd like to share?

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Re: No Boat? Shore Fishing Tips for Bass
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2011, 09:29 PM »
I actually have a boat, and still shore fish a fair amount!! Thanks for bringing this up.

Fishing rivers in my area is a gigantic, but extremely rewarding pain in the butt. The rivers are either too high, too low, or too narrow to navigate safely. The kicker is the ridiculous smallmouth bass populations that are kept relatively safe from anglers by these conditions. You sometimes gotta fight for those fish pretty hard!

My tips...

1) combat or hunting boots! They will keep you safe from shoreline junk, keep you from rolling your ankle on a rock, provide good traction for climbing banks, and keep your feet dry. I wear shorts and combat boots all the time, so it is fine if you do it too. ;D

2) use a 5 gallon pail for your stuff. Pails are waterproof on the outside too... You can set your gear down in standing water without a care if it is in a pail.

3) Buy a map and scout!! You may not be able to get to the best structure, but you will be able to get to some of it. Keep a notebook with the water's features and how you get to it. A shallow oxbow may do you no good in august, but it will be a great place to return in the spring.

4) Don't be afraid to fish for "trash and uglies"! Shore fishing can be the very best way to catch carp, cats, bullheads and suckers. Night fishing for cats is too much of a pain to be enjoyable for me in a boat. I can pick out a piece of shoreline, strap on a headlamp, and fish till 2am and have a blast though!

These are a few of my hundreds upon hundreds of shoreline fish from this year....

Smallie, don't know exactly how big.... plenty big though.... I get into more of these than I care to admit fishing riffles in the spring.

Kids love suckers and they are sure fire hot action in the spring...

My favorite.... CATFISH!!! They don't get too big here, and only exist in the Mississippi, Snake, and St. Croix rivers in my area. Someday I will take what I have learned from catching these little guys up to the Red in NW Minnesota and try and catch some of those aqua pigs!!

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2011, 10:08 PM »
Nice post and great tips Skipper!  I love that 2nd pic, cracked me up big time!  Looks like the kids had a great time.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2011, 10:16 PM »
That pic is of the "Suckah Mafia".... I don't know where they come up with this stuff!

lewk24

« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2011, 05:11 AM »
yup that second pic is hilarious. great pics and info by everyone though, I have a boat and still fish from shore a fair amount. seems easier to keep the nefew occupied when he isn't stuck in the boat...

Luke

BoutTime

« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2011, 06:25 PM »
Great job on the blogs FB and BJ, I'll be reading!

One thing I'd like to add to the topic is wading. Its something I always do when Im not in the boat, and it gets me right down to the nitty gritty when fishing. I like to have options in terms of where I can fish, and Im all for going waist deep up untill the water temps drop to uncomfortable levels. Im not talking hip waders and boots either, shorts and sandals is how I roll.

One plus of wading is getting a better feel for the spot I want to fish. Its a great scouting method in terms of water temp/water clarity/bottom structure/sightlines/current/weed growth in a new piece of water. Getting up close and personal affords me some clear insight I may miss by simply standing on the bank. Sometimes I dont see a potential spot from shore, and getting out there lets you find them. Not to mention you have room to work without trees and bushes to hinder your casting, which is always a big plus.

FB touched on retreiving lures in his blog, and its worth repeating. I absolutely hate to lose lures and if I can get to it, Im gonna get it back. Plus, Ive found a bunch of lures other people have lost simply by wading and walking the waters. Im game for free tackle any day of the week!

The last and biggest reason I wade is because it just feels right to be IN the water to me. I love it. More control, more freedom to work an area and more options while getting up close and personal with your prey. And its a heck of alot more comfortable to be liquid cooled on a hot day!

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2011, 10:15 PM »
Yeah BT, wading rocks for sure.  There's nothing like a big smallie leaping above eye level when you're wading in his world.  It's very cool indeed.  Wading streams is fun, but a lot of people won't do it along lakes but you're right, wading expands your access, allowing you to cast without trees in your way. 

Unfortunately, some of the lakes in my neck of the woods prohibit wading... but, then again, there are some that do, and it's a great way to get to spots that others may not be able to get to.

BoutTime

« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2011, 06:50 AM »
And less poison ivy too!

BoutTime

« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2011, 09:18 PM »
Hey FB, I was reading in your blog how you clip your 2nd rod behind your back. I had thought of trying this in the past, but have never given it a try. I just lean my "other" pole on some nearby grass or weeds. I may try out your method this weekend though.

Im guessing you use a plastic clip? Seems like plastic would be better. I actually have one on my vest in the front, but its metal. Im going to scour around the garage for a plastic clip to use, I know I saw a couple on something somewhere...

slipperybob

« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2011, 07:01 AM »
One thing about shorefishing I do is sometimes taking time to scout the area before even tossing out my lure.  It lets me look more carefully at the water currents and the breaklines created by that.  Also taking time to notice the weedline and other structures that will create countour changes.  Mosty to figure out the best position to cast, but also to try to picture a bass's ambush points.  Then finally just aquatic activity, something like minnows feeding on a bug hatch nearby or the telltale of bass ambushing baitfish.  A lot of times, I try to keep a mental note so as to be able to do some nightfishing with greater success.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.