FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: action  (Read 8742 times)

Fish Farmer

Re: action
« Reply #15 on: Nov 11, 2006, 06:24 AM »
I'm going to try and get the boat on the lake this a.m. provided it starts and the wind doesn't.

Fish Farmer

« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2006, 07:46 PM »
I hit a couple of steelhead on Lewis, east of Rt.7. Both fish were around 18", adipose clip. One male, one bright female. I was using crawlers, water is low and clear. A better fisherman should do well, provided it doesn't get cold and ice up.

grasspikerel

« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2006, 11:15 AM »
Nice.  Sounds like they may be fall spawners?  Any signs of lamprey hits?  I haven't fished Lewis in years.  I'm starting to consider it again.  Thanks for the report.

Fish Farmer

« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2006, 11:52 AM »
Winter steelhead tend to run up the rivers in the fall to feed on salmon eggs and hold in the river until the spring. These fish coming back to Lewis are probably Chambers Creek strain, the same fish that return to Lake Ontario tribs. The male had one lamprey scar. This will be my go to river if it stays ice free.

grasspikerel

« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2006, 04:53 PM »
Do salmon move in there much?  I haven't heard of that, but I would imagine they would get in there.  I would imagine it would be decent nursery water for salmon and steelhead provided there are enough fish surviving in the main a lake to to provide a "run."  I only tried it once in April a few years back.  About 20 folks out there and no one catching anything.  I never went back, but now I'm interested.  I don't recall if salmon are stocked in there, I know steelhead are placed low down.

Fish Farmer

« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2006, 09:13 PM »
I heard of salmon being stocked in there a few years back, but it has really been the focus of steelhead stocking, down below Rt 7 and I think above the falls as well. Considering I have logged lots of time, about ten years ago in the springtime with the "domestic" Magog steelhead stock being the favorite and only three fish landed in several YEARS. I'll give log entries if needed. I gave up on Lewis many years ago.

The new steelhead stock is the real deal.

I've fished Lewis Creek twice this season and landed three steelhead which fight exactly like Lake Ontario fish but much smaller. Did I mention one of those fish was dime bright. Yes I am trying to promote this fishery ;D. Use a four or five weight fly rod or light spinning, keep to the bottom. And cross your fingers.

I'm wondering if the Winooski is worth checking out as well.

grasspikerel

« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2006, 07:46 AM »
Well as long as your promoting it, what's the window of opportunity out there?  They must move in the spring?

Fish Farmer

« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2006, 12:09 PM »
I would think from now until it gets really cold and the mouth starts freezing, fyi when I put my boat off of the creek last weekend the river was in the mid 30's, but the lake was mid 40's. I didn't take a temperature where I was catching fish. I would think this rain would get some fish moving around, if not new fish in the river, it would at least move what fish are in there now.

As for figuring out the best time in the spring, ice out in mid march/april. From my experience, the river runs high and muddy until about early April, about the time of trout season opener. I usually hear of fish being caught in the first couple of weeks of April, then the suckers start moving in, then by May the bass are moving in to spawn. Somewhere in the middle of that the lampreys move to spawn as well.

If the winter stays mild and rainy I'd hit it anytime.

grasspikerel

« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2006, 07:51 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'll definitely try to make it up there.  By the way, you mentioned the Winooski, do you know if they counted much at their trap and truck station?  I know they're using a new strain of Landlocks and of course steelhead and was wondering if they were passing more fish.

Fish Farmer

« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2006, 11:52 AM »
I haven't heard much about the fish lift on the Winooski this year.

Little Brown Dog

« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2006, 05:54 PM »
I've been over on ice shanty complaining about the lack of ice.  Guess I should have checked here!  See what the weather does this weekend, but I may give Lewis creek a try.

Fish Farmer

« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2007, 08:22 AM »
The last time I checked Lewis Creek in early December it was icing up and I didn't catch anything. This rain should open it up a bit.

You can also fish Otter Creek for pretty much anything from Rutland down to the Lake,  if you are targeting trout you must use artificials and practice catch and release.

lakergirl

« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2007, 03:30 PM »
hi guys....no action here  :'(   thinking about going up to basin harbor and fish the lake from the cement dock.   better than nothing!
jan

Fish Farmer

« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2007, 12:14 AM »
I have pretty much lost interest in trapping bait this season as well.

Little Brown Dog

« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2007, 07:28 PM »
I have pretty much lost interest in trapping bait this season as well.

Did you get some this year?  I got about three cups of pinheads from the Poultney, but that was all.  Also got some brook silversides, but had to give them to VT F&W.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.