FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A local man drowned on the Pepacton Res.  (Read 2381 times)

Doover

A local man drowned on the Pepacton Res.
« on: May 25, 2004, 08:20 PM »
Two men fishing under the Shavertown Bridge Friday night, capsized their boat. A shore bound fisherman called the Andes Fire Dept. for help.One man was rescued. A NYSP SCUBA team came down from Lake George to find the other man's body.Brian

Cider

Re: A local man drowned on the Pepacton Res.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 09:15 PM »
I was home at my parent's (Walton, NY - 10 miles from the Pepacton) when it happened.  The town's fire alarm went off at 1:30 am Saturday morning.  I watched the Walton Fire Department rescue truck and ambulances go back and forth all weekend (I was fishing the west branch Del. river) as they helped with the search.

My brother told me that he had heard someone drowned.  We thought it was a guy we know at first.  Turned out not to be him.  We grew up fishing that reservoir and know a lot of folks who fish it regularly.  Still haven't heard who it was.

I was hesitating to post that news on here as I didn't have a confirmation of it yet.  I wasn't sure if it was a hoax or not.  My brother had heard it through a couple friends of his.  We read the local papers and listened to the news but didn't get any official wind of the accident.

The Walton Reporter comes out on Wednesdays.  I will call my parents and see what was reported on the accident and get back to you.

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 07:34 AM »
Prayers to the mans family.

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

Cider

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 09:26 AM »
Yes, prayers indeed.  Our hearts go out to those who suffered the loss...

Let's all keep in mind that when out on the water, whether in a boat or not, to keep safety foremost in our minds.  Especially when fishing at night from a boat as these folks were doing.  That is a very common practice on the Pepacton to chase big browns with sawbelly lights at night.

So, if you don't know how to swim, and are in a boat, make sure you are wearing a pfd.  You may feel silly wearing it, but feeling silly is better than drowning.

Make sure that there are serviceable pfd's for everyone aboard and that they are readily accesible (within arm's length reach) and that they fit everyone.  Also be sure to have a throwable pfd on board as well.  A signal/air horn and a flare gun are also very useful in the event of a tragedy.

In the unlikely event that tragedy should strike, try to leave somebody at the scene when you go for help or otherwise make a good mental note of the last place you saw your fishing buddy.  This will make it much easier on search and rescue teams and cut down on precious time to find the person in distress.

Make sure that you have bow and stern lights and that they are clearly visible from all directions.

Also make sure that you are familiar with the body of water and any underwater obstacles/obstructions that could prove dangerous to your boat.

Watch the weather!!  Be alert to strong winds, swells, and changing tides that could capsize or swamp your boat.  Be sure to have a compass and a navigation chart with you so that you can safely navigate your way home.

Last but certainly not least, keep the alcohol consumption to a minimum (especially if you are the driver)!  It is extremely important to have your wits about you so that if you should go over you can survive the fall into the water.

I'll try to get info/news from home on the tragedy and post it if I find it appropriate to do so...

bayonne

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 10:03 AM »
codolinces and saympathy to the family

crappieman12887

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 10:43 PM »
My prays and condolances goes out to the family, I too, have lost family and friends to water accidents.  I have also said that when you are around water you should know how to swim.  If you don't you shouldn't be there.  Again sorry about the loss, its just when I hear of accidents like these it brings back a lot of bad memories
Bill

fozsey

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 11:45 PM »
Prayers to the family from me and my family.

Brian

Doover

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 01:52 PM »
The body of a 27 year old Arkville man was found Tuesday night. It seems he was wearing waders and had a fish on when he tried to stand up in the boat.Brian

hawkeyejr

« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2004, 10:00 PM »
we had a boat capsize on the niagara wed. nite 2 firstb time boaters anchored off the side of the boat in the middle of the river and tipped over both rescued by another boater and the coast guard 3 time this year that the same thing happened in the same area

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.