FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Just for the white perch fans  (Read 6238 times)

roadkill128

Just for the white perch fans
« on: Apr 28, 2010, 08:27 PM »
was reading about them on wikipedia the other day.....and learned that they are not true perch, but lesser members of the bass family.  discuss.....
Opinions expressed here are my own, and do not reflect those of my employers.  Thank you, have a happy day and please drive through.

perchpounderny

Re: Just for the white perch fans
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2010, 08:32 PM »
arnt they also called a white bass???

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

roadkill128

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2010, 08:53 PM »
The white perch, Morone americana, is not a true perch but is, rather, a fish of the temperate bass family Moronidae, notable as a food and game fish in eastern North America.

uh oh better put the helmet and body armor on for when trap sees this one lol
Opinions expressed here are my own, and do not reflect those of my employers.  Thank you, have a happy day and please drive through.

roadkill128

« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2010, 08:55 PM »
arnt they also called a white bass???

Have heard them called silver bass...

saturnism

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2010, 09:09 PM »
I don't know much about them besides they are pointy little buggers and sure are good eating! Guess I thought I needed a spine that deep in my finger, otherwise why would it have ended up there?
The reason I talk to myself is that I'm the only one whose answers I accept.
-George Carlin

bmxrider11976

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2010, 09:17 PM »
yeah ive heard this. largemouth bass arent actually bass, and are in the bluegill family. pretty wild stuff
IN SEARCH OF BUCKETMOUTH

skidplate

« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2010, 01:44 AM »
And smallies are sunfish too.  Silver bass are the larger silver pointy things with horizontal lines. To me anyways.  We all just should learn latin to avoid further confusion.
There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it.
 Ron Paul

devo

« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2010, 06:27 AM »
Here we go again,  :P get out the popcorn!

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2010, 06:44 AM »
Monroe americana, r2d2, c3po...PANFISH. Throw it in the bucket with the rest of 'em. ;D
I believe drewdog said it best, "Eat them all"
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.

kchamp

• fish hard or stay home
« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2010, 07:05 AM »
white perch and silver bass are not the same almost look a like but you will see the difference when you catch them. AND WHITE PERCH TASTE LIKE CRAP, IF YOU HAVE SOMEONE YOU DON`T LIKE FEED THEM TO THEM.

iceplank

« Reply #11 on: Apr 29, 2010, 07:12 AM »
the white perch are a little more gray then the silver/white bass and the bass look like mini stripers with the lines being more defined..to each their own as far as what you like to eat. i have seen guys throw yellow perch on shore ( in Maine) and eat the whites and the largemouth.  I will take  yellows, gills, small eyes and crappies over them anyday. however i am a fan of C and R. They can be lot of fun and SLAM jigs!

roadkill128

« Reply #12 on: Apr 29, 2010, 07:50 AM »
I can honestly say I have never caught a white perch.  Caught a few yellow ones...they fight well, even the small ones.  Waiting for trapper to weigh in with his technical expertise on the science of catching and cooking them. ::)

saturnism

« Reply #13 on: Apr 29, 2010, 08:28 AM »
I just made white perch for dinner 2 nights ago and that very same night I made yellow perch too. They were made the same way and I dare anyone of you to tell the difference. I didn't cook them in the same oil on account of me being with child and having to be carefull as to where the fish came from. Honestly I think it's mind over matter but what do I know, I'm only cooking fish and game 4+ times a week.
The reason I talk to myself is that I'm the only one whose answers I accept.
-George Carlin

Captain1978

« Reply #14 on: Apr 29, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Saturnism... I would take the White/Yellow challenge. My cousin gave me the Yellow Perch/Walleye challenge  3x  to make sure I wasn't getting in a lucky guess. I passed everytime. Maybe it was just a lucky day since I caught the biggest fish too. Bring it on !!! ;) ;) Now if I fail you are the winner ! No prizes you just get to say " I told you so Captain dummy !!! ;D
El Capitano

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.