FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cranberry Lake?  (Read 2294 times)

devil-man

Cranberry Lake?
« on: Aug 22, 2004, 07:18 PM »
A friend has invited me to go to this great little lake up in the mountains next weekend. I've never been there.
Does anyone have any words of wisdom?
I've heard it's an excellent smallmouth fishery. True?

jackbear

• Everday is a good day fishin'
Re: Cranberry Lake?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2004, 08:30 AM »
There is some info, mostly from Dog-fish, on Cranberry Lake in the Lakes forum...
see....http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=3023.0
grrr..... jackbear

devil-man

« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2004, 11:22 AM »
Thanks!

lumberjohn

« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2004, 11:42 AM »
Cranberry Lake is averages 6 feet deep and has a max depth of 38'. You'll find Brook trout, smallmouths, pike and some big rock bass. For brookies up to 16" try worms and muddler minnows trolled slowly behind wobblers. Bass from 10-18" try topwater plugs in early AM and evening and crankbaits, twistertails and the like during the day. Pike try red & white daredevils, laky ikes, and spinnerbaits around the weed beds.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2004, 01:48 PM »
I read in an outdoorsy magazine that Cranberrry Lake, some blob shaped lake in the northern Adirondacks has absolutely monstrous pike. Is that this lake?

devil-man

« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2004, 04:25 PM »
Hey Pasquatch, it probably is. It's definitely blob-shaped!
We had a pretty good (wet) weekend, no pike, though.
We did manage some smallmouth and rock bass, and had fun doing it.
I highly recommend this lake to anyone who wants to just "get away." There is very little development, the water is clean, and the scenery is awesome. They even have wilderness camping, and it's free!
If it wasn't so far I'd go up there again this fall...

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2004, 08:09 PM »
I heard four foot  pike were common, one of the best places in the nation to go for a true wallhanger, no?

lumberjohn

« Reply #7 on: Aug 31, 2004, 12:14 PM »
Pike were not native to Cranberry Lake., they were introduced illegally. They took to the lake and reports of 15 pounders are not unusual. There is no size limit on pike in that lake.

devil-man

« Reply #8 on: Aug 31, 2004, 03:42 PM »
Hey Lumberjohn- That doesn't surprise me. It definitely doesn't seem like a pike lake. That's probably why they did so well, lots of trout and smallies for forage...
Why do people have to go farking with nature like that?

dogfish

« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2004, 09:13 AM »
Devil-man
Glad to hear you had a good time.  It is a great lake.  I just returned from a hunting trip up in Northern Quebec and have not been around for almost 2 weeks.  I would have given you some pointers as to where to fish and camp, I lived on that lake for quite a few years.  The Northerns are new to the lake (Past 10 years).  How they got there????   There are rumers of people releasing fish into the lake?  Fact is there have always been Pike in the Gotch (outlet below the dam)  and also in what they call the "setback" in Wanakena.  There are places where there is only a 10 foot seporation between the setback and the Lake itself.  So it is possible that aquatic animals (ducks, herons, gulls, muskrats, beaver etc) could also have inadvertanly transfered Pike eggs or fry from one body of water to the other?
Dogfish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.