FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New Gander Mountain store in Johnson City!  (Read 6193 times)

slipbob

New Gander Mountain store in Johnson City!
« on: Aug 25, 2004, 02:07 PM »
I drove down to lovely Endwell this weekend from my home in the Albany area to visit my folks and as I got off of good ole Route 17 for the Oakdale Mall exit, I spied heaven.  Yes Heaven.  I saw a brand spanking new Gander Mountain store.  My girlfriend had to take control of the wheel as I almost careened off the ramp to head towards it.  Well not really, but it was something I knew I had to visit.  It had just opened last week I guess so I headed down there later to shop for some fishing goodies.  After an hour there and about $150 bucks I had myself a new rubber net and a whole bunch of new lures.  Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!   All I can say is, it's a great store and those who live nearby are lucky.  It's my first visit to one of these outdoor superstore things because they still don't have one in the Albany area.  :'( :'(   and I was impressed.  So much selection and so many pretty colors, the lures I mean. :P  I don't know what my point is here, but anyhoo go if you have the chance.  If you have been to Bass Pro or Cabela's this store is probably small by their standards but when you have been stuck with lamo Dicks and Wally mart this seems so cool.

Cider

Re: New Gander Mountain store in Johnson City!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2004, 03:14 PM »
Geez, I was just home last weekend to go to the Walton Fair (Del. Co.) and I saw the flyer in the Sunday Press about it opening.  I thought their grand opening was for THIS weekend.  If I had known that they were already open I would have gone the 45 min to get there from home!!

Polar

« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2004, 03:30 PM »
A Gander Mountain beats out Dick's Sporting Goods anytime.The one up in North Tondawanda is real nice too.The one in Erie P.A. is not worth the bother real small not much of nothing.(basically if I was to the Erie one first never would want to go to another Gander)

seaweed01

« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2004, 07:00 PM »
Going to go there on Friday. My wife and I each got a $10 gift certificate in
the mail so have to spend that (and probably a lot more). I'm looking to
seeing the new store, all I have heard about it is good.

venisonman

« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2004, 08:12 PM »
Hey Slip,

Gander is working their way towards you. One opens in Cicero(Syracuse) in about 2 weeks. Then Utica, I believe in October!
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2004, 09:10 PM »
I saw the new store in New Hartford. VERY nice looking...cant wait until it opens!

-Zach

devil-man

« Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2004, 11:09 PM »
Hehe...
It's a lot better than ordering on-line, isn't it?
Hands (and eyes) on shopping. Did you check out the $500 reels, Slipbob?
Leave your credit cards at home!

buzz bait

• save the walleyes
« Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2004, 11:30 PM »
i been there a couple of times realy impressed i hunt and fish they got just about evry thing i need [want] for both . one great thing about it i can see it from the house less than 1/2 mile away or can that be a bad thing ::) a five minute walk . i figure the money i save on gas just spend it there.  ;D

Cider

« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2004, 10:01 AM »
Hey Slip,

Gander is working their way towards you. One opens in Cicero(Syracuse) in about 2 weeks. Then Utica, I believe in October!

???  That is farther away from the Albany area than the one in Johnson City isn't it?  Unless you jet over on I-90...

Slipbob - It's a good thing I didn't go anyway.  After dropping $500 at Cabela's the last week or so for a new treestand, arrows, and various archery accessories... let's just say that the wife has the ole wallet under lock and key!  It would've been painful to go into GM without any dough!!

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 26, 2004, 03:27 PM »
Well, I've been able to keep my spending to $50-75 per trip at Gander in Tonawanda, NY  ;D.  Unfortunately, I go there a couple of times a month on average  :o!
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

Cider

« Reply #10 on: Aug 26, 2004, 04:34 PM »
Hey Slipbob - was GM in Johnson City running any special deals on FL-18's??  That is one of the few remaining major purchases that I have left to make.  At least that's what I tell my wife anyway!!!  ::)

venisonman

« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2004, 05:12 PM »
Cider,

The distance from Albany  to Utica is probably about the same as to J-city. A little easier ride , though , since it is all highway. Seems like Albany- Schenectady should be next. They opened Buffalo...then Rochester....then J-city...now Syracuse and soon .....Utica
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Cider

« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2004, 05:20 PM »
A little easier ride , though , since it is all highway. Seems like Albany- Schenectady should be next.

Well, that's what I meant about going across I-90...but I-88 from Albany to Binghamton area isn't a bad ride either.  So, I guess it would be a toss up.

I hope they open one in the Albany area.  It seems like the east coast gets neglected with all the sporting goods superstores.  Dick's have been around for awhile, but I personally don't find them to be very valuable.

I am hoping that Cabela's is going to start spreading on the east coast soon.  They recently went public with their stock options (we bought up a bunch) and then they announced a new store right after the stocks were put on the market.

Deposit

« Reply #13 on: Aug 27, 2004, 06:29 AM »
I've herd roomer that over the next several years they will be working their way up the east coast...my father works for a company that designed the store in PA and says they have a contract for one in virginia and talk of other in new england

OTIS

« Reply #14 on: Aug 27, 2004, 08:41 AM »
Cider, how did you find out about Cabalas going public, and how's the stock doing?  I checked their web site and it says the Utica store is opening Sept. 2004, can't wait.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.