FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Johnson Boat Motor Stuck in Reverse  (Read 2094 times)

Huckemeril

Johnson Boat Motor Stuck in Reverse
« on: Sep 07, 2004, 06:00 PM »
My 25 HP 1961 Johnson Boat Motor is stuck in reverse somewhere in the motor or lower unit.I took it apart but cannot figure it out.The shift cable works fine but I cannot get it in neutral or foward.Please Help???????

Deposit

Re: Johnson Boat Motor Stuck in Reverse
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2004, 01:48 PM »
there is probly a pine in there somewhere that is broken that move the grear from forwards to reverse. It may have broken off and fallen doen in the gear somewhere

crappieman12887

« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2004, 06:18 PM »
try unhooking the cable{shift ] and moving the link by hand if it works then you know it is in the cable but if not open the linkage inspectin widow on the foot to see if the brass connecter as moved or not if thats not the problem then the pin in the foot that holds the shift fork might have broke or is worn out ,also there is a pin under the [power head that connects to the shift handle that my be damaged[ hope the will help you find you problem bill

rudy

« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2004, 08:21 PM »
If that doesn't work, just turn your seats around.  At least then the boat will be stuck in forward!  Sounds like a worn shift pin.

av60

« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2004, 04:21 PM »
My 25 HP 1961 Johnson Boat Motor is stuck in reverse somewhere in the motor or lower unit.I took it apart but cannot figure it out.The shift cable works fine but I cannot get it in neutral or foward.Please Help???????

I have the same problem at times (tiller drive) I have found that a cam gets stuck not allowing the engine to get back into neutral.   I just override the cam follower and move the cam by hand. 
Hope it helps you out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.