FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lost fishing line...  (Read 1831 times)

rivereddy

Lost fishing line...
« on: Aug 24, 2019, 07:14 PM »
Friends live on a small lake in southern Illinois.  Along with the usual kingfishers and Canada geese, they have been blessed with a pair of bald eagles and several great blue herons.  A few mornings ago they noticed a heron down near the docks that was in obvious distress.  When they approached it the cause was readily apparent.  A loose wad of fishing line had bound its legs together and nearly cut through one of its wings.  The bird died shortly thereafter.

Much has been said about slobs trashing launch areas, waterways, and ice -  and I know there is no way to make them quit.  It's just who they are.  I would ask however, that next time you see a wad or "run" of line along the bank, just pick it up,(There might be a $7 dollar lure on the other end) and dispose of it properly.  You just might prevent a kid from thinking fishing is gross, or save yourself the pain of a bound up prop, or keep a property owner from posting his access, or maybe even save a fellow fisher, who just happens to be a bird.

fish on,

rivereddy

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
Re: Lost fishing line...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2019, 09:23 PM »
That is sad....but you're also correct about the slob fishermen (??) I think probably .most true sportsmen would make sure they would pick up loose line and garbage...we also need to make sure that we ourselves dispose of especially fishing line properly...thanks for posting.
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2019, 09:09 AM »
I had someone leave a fishing line with a hook on the end on one of my ponds years ago. Apparently a robin decided to line it's nest with the line. Unfortunately it got the hook into it's neck and I found the bird hanging dead from the nest. Probably fought it and fought it until it was exhausted. I took a picture but can't find it. It's really sad.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2019, 10:00 AM »

Couple years ago I watched this eagle kill this heron out in front...h2l

seamonkey84

« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2019, 11:17 AM »
I always make it a point to pick up litter and loose line. It astounds me how many times I’ve come across what looks like an entire reels worth of line just balled up or strung all over the place.

Couple years ago I watched this eagle kill this heron out in front...h2l

Very cool, getting rid of competition and a big meal at the same time.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2019, 12:54 PM »
You tell that eagle he is most welcome at my trout ponds if he takes out the Great Blue Herons! Then I wouldn't have to buy a $100.00 permit to do it myself!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

icefisher47

« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2019, 03:23 PM »
i Don’t understand how people can be so non caring and leave fishing line and trash all over the place. When I go fishing I always take a extra trash bag to pick up excess line and trash left by other people.
Take a kid fishing

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2019, 07:24 PM »
We live in a culture where some people only care about themselves or mommy picked up after them.

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2019, 07:30 PM »
We live in a culture where some people only care about themselves or mommy picked up after them.

I agree, lots of lazy people out there anymore. I've picked up all kinds of trash ranging from worm containers to wads of line.

filetandrelease

« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2019, 05:37 AM »
 Over the years I’ve picked up line from trout streams , launches , and while casting from shore ,along with other 💩 😡

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.