FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I need advice  (Read 1565 times)

TJ Bauer

• LIVE LIFE, FISH, BE SAFE, HAVE FUN
I need advice
« on: Jun 13, 2005, 11:25 PM »
I have a 1967 mercury 6.5 horse I am looking to sell it but it needs a water pump. I am wonder if I could make any money on it with a bad water pump or if I would be better off fixing it and then selling it. And another question would be what are they worth I bought this one with a boat and trailer but want to keep the boat and trailer and get a 15 horse for it.

Deposit

Re: I need advice
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2005, 04:41 AM »
Interesting scenario. I would imagine the engine is worth something, however you may run into problems if you have to replace the water pump. Actually finding one that will fit the older engine may be rough. I would believe that you would definitely make more with a working water pump. I have found that usually your local library has repair books on the older outboard engines which may help in trying to find a replacement. (usually the pump is a small impeller attached to the shaft in the engine)

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2005, 05:00 AM »
I had an old MERC and the parts aren't bad. Here is a website for ya.
http://www.oldmercs.com/
Now if you can do it yourself I would, I got killed on the amount of labor and it took the shop forever to get-er-done.
I know longer have her, what a headache.
Sorry not much help, but that website is a good one for old MERC parts.
Good luck.
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

FishDaddy09

« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2005, 10:01 AM »
A friend at work just did this with a mid 70's merc, a 40 hp. He said it was easy to get the lower unit off, but he turned the shifting shaft and had no reverse when he put it back together. He ended up paying a mechanic to fix it.  Some of the older and smaller mercs must have the power head pulled to change the impeller. Good luck

TJ Bauer

« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2005, 04:22 PM »
See the problem with this motor is that its not just taking the lower unit off the model came with a one piece case so to change the pump you have to pull everything threw the top which consist of taking the motor completly apart I have had it changed before when I bought it but had used it for duck hunting a couple of years so I am sure thats why it went so fast. I think it costed me $150 to get it fixed but I dont know what It would be worth after that I dont want to put $150 into it and then sell it for $175 but that might be what I need to do. Thanks Guys

TJ Bauer

« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2005, 05:34 PM »
Sorry, kind of excited because I dont have a motor on my boat right now. Just trying to figure out what I want to do.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.