MyFishFinder Tips and Techniques > Fishing Equipment

My first rod

(1/3) > >>

princecraft:
This is the first rod and reel I ever owned.  My dad gave me this rod and reel when I was about 10 years old.  I am 78 years old now.  The rod is a true temper and the reel is a south bend.  The rod is an all steel square rod.  I did a little research on this and what I found is that the rod is about 90 years old and the reel about 70 years old.  I don't know how old it was when my dad gave it to me but I know it wasn't new.  I am trying to figure out if I want to keep it, sell it, donate to museum, or give it to my grandson.  Probably give it to my grandson.  He really loves to fish and really wants a bait caster. But I don't know if he would use something that old. 

Mac Attack:
You shouldn't use it to fish anymore.
Why take any chances it would get lost, stolen, or broken.
There is far better equipment for fishing.
On the other hand, your grandson would cherish it and probably pass it down someday to his kid or grandkid.

rgfixit:
Leave it to someone you want to have it.......in your will. Until then, hang it on the wall and enjoy all the memories it produces. Tell your grandson all the stories attached to it and where it came from. Leave it to him if it's appropriate.

I'm 70 and give considerable thought to how I want my collections to be handled when I'm gone.
If you sell it , you betray a trust.

Rg

zwiggles:

--- Quote from: Mac Attack on Jul 13, 2020, 02:40 PM ---You shouldn't use it to fish anymore.
Why take any chances it would get lost, stolen, or broken.
There is far better equipment for fishing.
On the other hand, your grandson would cherish it and probably pass it down someday to his kid or grandkid.

--- End quote ---

Do both! Show him/let him use yours first, and then give him something with modern tech. With any luck he will appreciate them both!

oatkasut:
I remember them!Don't have anything like that now, only a brittle bamboo fly rod my Dad put together. I never use it since it would break! Great memories.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version