FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Worm Harnesses from scratch  (Read 13401 times)

blaque

Worm Harnesses from scratch
« on: Jan 15, 2007, 07:26 AM »
I know its a weak crowd out there this time of year, but thought i would pose the question anyway. Im goin to get into tying my own harnesses this year for trolling walleyes. Floating harnesses for the most part fished off 3 way rigs (bottom bouncers). Anyone who has any tips, tricks, suggestions, supply websites, etc.......feel free to chime in. Im all ears.  I tie all my own flies for winter steelheading so i know I have the patience, i just need the technique.

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
Re: Worm Harnesses from scratch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2007, 04:57 PM »
I started out with this company.
jannsnetcraft
Then started to get my float from bass pro and beads from different craft stores and wal-mart.
Or start with some kind of walleye spinner kit like this one.
Walleye kit
and then you'll have the starters of your own and will learn which clevieses, blades, and floats that you like.
I also just got a multi-color pack of hooks too that I can't wait to get some new harnesses going for this coming open water walleye season.
Next thing you'll know you'll have a bigg 'ol kit like this one or even bigger.

Fish On!
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

oldken

• oldken
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2007, 07:00 PM »
i use jans netcraft and also get some components from gander mtn. have been making my spinners for a number of years. also make my own bottom bouncers

vivlamored

• Gotta Love the Adirondacks
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 10:45 AM »
i use jans netcraft and also get some components from gander mtn. have been making my spinners for a number of years. also make my own bottom bouncers
Just about everything I use  for walleye except the rapalas and such i make myself. I make all my own jigs, bucktaild worm harnesses inline trolling sinkers, walking sinkers, sonar blade baits perch eyes bottom bouncers I love doing it. You end up with tons of stuff so i give it away to my buddies most of the time
Don't use your sick days when you are sick use them when the fish are biting. It all looks the same on your time card

TrekJeff

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 02:09 PM »
I see that Camo has some corkies in his box.  I also use them at times as well as wobble glows. They give a bit more action when trolling and of coarse gives a bit of floatation. 

Hollywood703

« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2008, 11:27 AM »
My Father use to make walleye harnesses when i was a kid.(under 10 yrs old).....Just some line, some beads hook, Spinner balde (and the clevis type adapter to hold it to the line) and thats it.....I actually just looked at one when i was around 19 and started making variations of it.....Once you get good, they cost under $.50 a piece to make.There are a lot of Harnesses that can be made for cheap, and very little time.

wile.e.1

« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2008, 12:17 PM »
I make/use 3way rigs also...have for years. Fish ERIE mostly. Drifting or trolling depending on the wind. I tie 3 hooks on mine and get all the stuff ( blades ,beads,hooks etc.) at a local bait shop. You can save a few pennies buying bulk at like cabela's or BP. But I would rather pick my own from a local place. They should have all the good colors in blades and prism tape that work in your area in stock. And like was mentioned in earlier posts, you can do this for just a few bucks ;D.  Theres somethin about catching eyes on a harness you made ya know!. Have a great season folks, hope everyone gets out allot

baybound1526

« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2008, 12:26 PM »
I learned how to make crawler harnesses a couple years ago. I agree with you wile.e.1 about catching big ol walleye on a harness you tied. Started tying already for this year. I use #5 blade and 6mm beads with one single hook and a treble. Heres a few so far...

THERES NO HEAD LIKE STEELHEAD

walleyeseeker

« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2008, 04:31 PM »
What type of line does everyone use? I have been tying my own for several years but the Pike can be a pain for bite offs. Is anyone using Flourcarbon leader material?

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2008, 03:37 PM »
I have made a few spinner blade rigs for leeches and minnows this year.
I to have found that pike can go through a regular mono rig in no time, so I have tied a few out of Fireline. I hope it will last a bit longer.

If the Fireline does not work I am going to add a spinner blade rig to the longest steel or titanium leader I can find. :-\

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

MnSportsman

• 21 inch Brown. Tied Personal Best, 30 yrs apart
« Reply #10 on: Apr 21, 2008, 07:11 PM »
I am going to put in here, how I tie my own harness rigs. These are the "Lindy rig " style. Since I didn't see anyone else put "how they do it" yet.
I hope that I can explain the process , so anyone can read it & do it. I have much better luck "showing" than "telling".

The size line you use & the size hooks you use are your choice. Depending on the fish ya target. So , here's the way I do it, as best I can explain..

I take a bait holder hook,(the ones with  the barbs on the shank) Usually the first one is a size or so smaller than the second, or even the third one.  Take a piece of line about 4-6 ' long. ( once again your choice on line test & length) thread one end of the line thru the eye of the hook so that it runs along the shank(where the barbs are) leave about 2" of line out, running out past the hook end. Take the longer end of the line, & bend the line down the shank(over the eye)& start wrapping it around the shank (where the barbs are), from the eye end toward the hook end & short line end.Do about 5-7 wraps. Then take the end of the the long "leader" end of the line & put it thru the eye back toward where the "rod" end would be. Now , wet the shank of the hook where the wraps are & holding the short 2" end & hook, pull the long "leader" end tight (like if a fish was pulling on the hook). You now basically have a "snell"  on the first hook. Now take the long end of the "leader" & feed it thru another hook going thru the eye from the hook end to the rod end). Now you have a choice of how long of a Crawler/worm/leech/minnow you are going to set this up for. I usually with a 2 hook rig , go about 3". For longer baits/larger  or, more hooks, adjust. Take the newest hook & holding it like ya did the first one(let's say 3" from hook eye to hook eye) . Repeat the process ya used for the first hook. Now you can repeat as necessary for more hooks/distance..etc...  Now you would take a bead or 2 or 5 or whatever ya like or a blade or 2 , a float..etc...whatever ya like( colors, blade styles, bead sizes..) & so on) & put them on coming onto the leader from the end you would tie or fasten to a barrel/snap swivel. It's your rig.. do what ya like! ;).
Then tie a loop knot or a swivel on the "leader" end, trim the 2" part ya left on your first hook back to about an 1/8 " from the first shank knot(snell), & there ya are. ...
:D

I hope this description may help someone who wants to try this on their own!

Go fish, Be Safe & Enjoy!

Note:I use a different method for wire tied rigs , & I also have a tip for those of ya that want to make your own "snaglesss" bottom draggers..

2 Browns & a rainbow                Chubby BlueGills with Shoulders. :)

papamike

« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2009, 05:39 AM »
I typed in how to tie craeler harnesses .com and got instructions with pics and all you need to know

Small Craft Warning

« Reply #12 on: Jun 29, 2010, 07:29 PM »
Good video on here on how to snell a hook.
fishdoctorcharters.com/template.tpl?selector=video

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.