FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fuse blowing in car when boat is in tow  (Read 3963 times)

taxid

Fuse blowing in car when boat is in tow
« on: Aug 20, 2017, 02:35 PM »
Blows out the fuse that controls the dash lights and tail lights except for the break lights and flashers. Boat trailer was rewired by a professional last year with no problems on several trips. Now it's a problem.

Ideas? What to look for?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Bowmandan

Re: Fuse blowing in car when boat is in tow
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2017, 03:45 PM »
Bare spot on trailer wire causing a short or pinched wire causing a short

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2017, 04:19 PM »
Bare spot on trailer wire causing a short or pinched wire causing a short

x2

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2017, 04:36 PM »
Thank you gentlemen!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2017, 10:04 AM »
The fish have learned basic wiring skills and are sabotaging your ride in the hopes that you stay home!

"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2017, 10:06 AM »
The fish have learned basic wiring skills and are sabotaging your ride in the hopes that you stay home!

I thought I saw one nipping at the trailer wiring when I was launching!  :o

Keith Walters

« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2017, 09:47 PM »
If you have a loose ground wire or the little sockets inside the flat rubber plug are not tight on the part that goes inside them, you can blow a fuse.  Intermittent contact can do it.  Try squeezing the sockets in the flat rubber plug VERY GENTLY. This is a problem that usually blows the fuse after you drive a few miles.
The brake lights are on different fuses.

Good luck,
Keith

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2017, 05:54 AM »
If you have a loose ground wire or the little sockets inside the flat rubber plug are not tight on the part that goes inside them, you can blow a fuse.  Intermittent contact can do it.  Try squeezing the sockets in the flat rubber plug VERY GENTLY. This is a problem that usually blows the fuse after you drive a few miles.
The brake lights are on different fuses.

Good luck,
Keith

Thank you Keith! Was looking things over the other day and so far haven't found anything except the ground wire on the trailer seems not to be in good shape where it connects to the bolt. I think I'll take it off the bolt, cut it and reattach a connector.

Fish Farmer

« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2017, 05:22 PM »
I had the same thing happening with my truck and it happened to be one of the wires coming from a rear taillight assembly that was rubbing raw on the inside of the body.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Aug 23, 2017, 09:38 PM »
I had the same thing happening with my truck and it happened to be one of the wires coming from a rear taillight assembly that was rubbing raw on the inside of the body.

Thanks. Still looking. Haven't found anything yet.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #10 on: Aug 23, 2017, 09:56 PM »
It could also be water in the light housing.  :)
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Aug 24, 2017, 07:40 AM »
It could also be water in the light housing.  :)

Good point! I have one light housing that is broken and after bringing back out of the water perhaps water stays in there? (I do unplug before I launch).

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #12 on: Aug 24, 2017, 07:49 AM »
Moisture and electricity......  :nono:
I'd replace it, especially if the wires look good everywhere else.  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Aug 24, 2017, 08:02 AM »
Good point! I have one light housing that is broken and after bringing back out of the water perhaps water stays in there? (I do unplug before I launch).

LED marine trailer lights.

https://www.amazon.com/CZC-AUTO-Submersible-Trailer-Snowmobile/dp/B06ZZRKYHD/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1503579701&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=led+trailer+lights&psc=1

I will NEVER use incandescent lights again on any trailer I own.  PERIOD!

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Aug 24, 2017, 08:06 AM »

LED marine trailer lights.

https://www.amazon.com/CZC-AUTO-Submersible-Trailer-Snowmobile/dp/B06ZZRKYHD/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1503579701&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=led+trailer+lights&psc=1

I will NEVER use incandescent lights again on any trailer I own.  PERIOD!

Sounds good but I just had the entire thing rewired last year and it wasn't cheap. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.