FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Recommendations for Boat Trailer Lights?  (Read 4333 times)

taxid

Recommendations for Boat Trailer Lights?
« on: Aug 27, 2017, 03:48 PM »
After doing some troubleshooting on a fuse blowing situation with my small Shoreland'r Tadpull trailer I've decided to replace the trailer lights. I had the trailer rewired by a pro last year, but these cheap Peterson lights seem to have continuous corrosion issues no doubt because they are probably not 100 percent waterproof.

I do unplug the lights before launching, but of course that still doesn't prevent water from being in the light housings temporally. And I've never been impressed with the way the bulbs are seated either.

Any suggestions for lights that are sealed and waterproof that would be appropriate for a small trailer? Maybe even LED?

I saw someone here singing praises for LED lights not too long ago, but can't seem to find the thread.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

Re: Recommendations for Boat Trailer Lights?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2017, 04:04 PM »
Hmmm… I see the Peterson lights listed at one supplier's website have rubber seals. Mine don't. Of course mine are quite old.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

FISHFORPIKE

• Phil
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2017, 05:53 PM »
I changed out my boat trailer lights a few years back with LED units.  Best theing ever done.  Wally world has them and ETtrailer - online - is a good source as well.  They are waterproof = no shorts and no having to unplug before submerging.
Member - Black Lake Hooks & Bullets Crowd

boondox

« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2017, 05:57 PM »
I changed out my boat trailer lights a few years back with LED units.  Best theing ever done.  Wally world has them and ETtrailer - online - is a good source as well.  They are waterproof = no shorts and no having to unplug before submerging.

X2 on the led sealed for boating lights..

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2017, 06:08 PM »
Is it tricky to switch over as in differences in wiring?

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2017, 06:28 PM »
Simple

Same wiring

An LED kit will come with full instructions.

greensider

« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2017, 07:30 PM »
I put a set of led lights from Harber freight tools on mine they are great

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2017, 01:15 AM »
Thank you gentlemen! Ordered the one set off of Amazon this morning!

ericbres

« Reply #9 on: Aug 31, 2017, 12:54 PM »
Throwing in my 2cents ... changed my boat trailer to the LED housings last season and haven't had a lick of trouble (side note - I did use the heat-shrink crimp connectors on the wiring when I installed them. IMO it's worth the extra couple bucks, assuming you've got a heat gun available to you). Can't tell you the last time I have unplugged them at the ramp either.
Even with every time I hear the "Hey idiot, you forgot to unplug your trailer lights!" being yelled from the old-timers ... I just smile and wave. ;)

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Aug 31, 2017, 01:18 PM »
Here's another note.

My 2008 Ford Escape did not work from the factory with LED trailer lights.
There wasn't enough current draw for them to let the vehicle's computer know they were working.
I was getting error messages on my dashboard saying I had a blown trailer light.
There was a couple other minor things related to this too.
Ford came out with a wiring harness replacement for the vehicle that fixed things.
But it was a royal pain.
I was simply going to add a resistor to each leg and get around it but felt better with Ford handling the problem

My 2013 Escape (totaled) and my current 2016 Escape don't have any issues running LED trailer lights.

Mac

boondox

« Reply #11 on: Aug 31, 2017, 02:07 PM »
I am guessing some one close works for ford's attack?? Cause you owened a lot of escapes .. lol's my dad worked at ford's before he retired and now is enjoying life sister works at gm now and when we get together it gets intresting lols.. I am the biased one it don't matter I will drive it..

Mac Attack

« Reply #12 on: Aug 31, 2017, 03:51 PM »
I am guessing some one close works for ford's attack?? Cause you owened a lot of escapes .. lol's my dad worked at ford's before he retired and now is enjoying life sister works at gm now and when we get together it gets intresting lols.. I am the biased one it don't matter I will drive it..

Dad worked for the Stamping plant here in Buffalo.  Skilled trades in Machine Repair.
My son Chris now works there as an EE in Control, but he just got the job less than 2 mos ago.

My first Escape ran into tranny trouble about 2K miles before the 75K warranty ran out.
Good thing.
They rebuilt it but it never felt quite right.
So I spoke to the dealer and traded it in for a new 2013 Escape Titanium.  Fully loaded!
Payment went down $18 too.

In January of 2016 a kid ran a red light and totaled the 2013.
I was upset!!!  I loved that SUV.
Anyway, the insurance then bought me the new 2016.
But it wasn't a Titanium.

The Escapes are nice.

BTW, my wife drives it daily.
I drive the 2016 Fusion - which is a lease.

Lease runs out in March of 2019.
I will then buy a new Ranger P/U.
Diesel if they offer it.

Mac

boondox

« Reply #13 on: Aug 31, 2017, 04:56 PM »
My dad has a 2013 escape sister a 2013 escape too it upset her that his has the auto open tail gate she bought hers first. . Best part is she wants to sell it and get gm still had not.. if you know what I mean I think she likes her escape.. any how I can't wait for the Rangers to come out my dad worked at quite a few facilities at ford all around Dearborn though he was a tool and die maker by trade.  He was one of the guys in engine reasearch and development that if the engine threw the piston he would wire edm/cut in to sections  the block  to find out what went wrong with the engine still together... then  got move to the molds and development end for plastic rubber  molds etc.. started back in 70 as a q.c. inspector  on the mustang line..  checking the qc of the roof leading wore a  diving bell so he did not get lead poisoning.. any how got laid of when in the 70's then rehired in the 80's and got his 30 years in.. now enjoys every minute of that retirement used to fish now all he does is wood works and stained glass.. cause he gets to sea sick every time out he claims it was the similator at fords..  they have a whole car in doors  with v.r. system set up on hydraulics.. etc etc end out getting sick from it cause it was enclosed.. could not look at were the sky meets the sea in the distance if you know what i mean?? and it made him sicker every time he goes out now..  any how his dad was a truck driver at ford's way back when etc long history of family at ford's..  hay we live in the motor city and nothing is more American then driving american..

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Aug 31, 2017, 08:05 PM »
Here's another note.

My 2008 Ford Escape did not work from the factory with LED trailer lights.
There wasn't enough current draw for them to let the vehicle's computer know they were working.
I was getting error messages on my dashboard saying I had a blown trailer light.
There was a couple other minor things related to this too.
Ford came out with a wiring harness replacement for the vehicle that fixed things.
But it was a royal pain.
I was simply going to add a resistor to each leg and get around it but felt better with Ford handling the problem

My 2013 Escape (totaled) and my current 2016 Escape don't have any issues running LED trailer lights.

Mac

I almost got the LED wiring done but ran out of time this evening.

I have a Saturn Vue and the place that wired my lights last year (not LED) had issues because it was a Saturn. Maybe something similar to the Ford?  

I'm hoping since all I did was replace the harness on the boat trailer and not mess with the vehicle wiring (which they had to change) I won't have any issues.

The previous trailer wiring had the side amber light brown wire run back separately and connected to the tail lights in a recess, but the LED wiring drawing shows the amber light  splicing in farther up the trailer on the main trunk on the brown wires.  I'm thinking it's basically the same thing?

I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

I like the fact that there is a ground wire on each side light. Not so on the previous lights.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.