FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What do you think of the colors on these trout?  (Read 3379 times)

taxid

What do you think of the colors on these trout?
« on: Oct 21, 2017, 06:36 PM »
I've been feeding them a feed that has something called astaxanthin in it to enhance color.

Brookie still has a little ways to go.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

seamonkey84

Re: What do you think of the colors on these trout?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2017, 07:04 PM »
That first one is amazing! Tiger trout? Funny thing is, I did he same thing with my clownfish when I kept the orange versions, it really made a difference for them in about a Month.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2017, 07:17 PM »
Yep tiger trout.

My female brook trout are not coloring up on the outside at all. I'm thinking it's because they are not sexually mature and the males are? They are only 10 months old after all. They usually lag behind the males about a year.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

seamonkey84

« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2017, 08:26 PM »
I've seen yearling stocked trout spilling eggs, and none of them were as colorful as the males from the same stocking. I know that females can be very colorful too, but the males are always deeper colored.  With the fish I've seen through different waters, the ones coming from more tannin stained waters were also deeper colored.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2017, 08:36 AM »
I've seen yearling stocked trout spilling eggs, and none of them were as colorful as the males from the same stocking. I know that females can be very colorful too, but the males are always deeper colored.  With the fish I've seen through different waters, the ones coming from more tannin stained waters were also deeper colored.

Likewise. Fished some mountain ponds above Namakanta Lake, Maine with some waters tannin stained and others not. The tannin stained water brookies were much brighter than the trout we caught out of e.g. The Rainbow Deadwaters which IIRR receives water from Rainbow Lake -- which is crystal clear.

I can easily dye the larger pond they are being moved to soon just in case I get a visit from an Osprey. But they are more fun to watch in clear water and that pond is extremely clear. I wonder if the dye making the water darker would enhance color further as in tannin stained water?

filetandrelease

« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2017, 08:54 AM »

Omg taxid that tiger is awesome 👍🏻

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2017, 09:07 AM »
Omg taxid that tiger is awesome 👍🏻

Thanks. Can't wait until they get to be 4 to 6 pounds next fall if they get as big as my brook and brown trout have for me in the past. Was told by a state hatchery supervisor in Massachusetts they grown slower than the other trout at first, but catch up and surpass them when the other trout reach sexual maturity due to the tigers being sterile.  Will see. My first year with tigers.

My biggest brooks are 13 to 14 inches now but biggest tiger I've seen was just over 12 inches.

seamonkey84

« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2017, 09:16 AM »
What color would it dye the water? I'm thinking as long as the water is stained but remains clear so it doesn't give them the feeling that it's murky or muddy it might work. so keep it like tea not like coffee lol.
These are from springtime, but I feel it's a good example (just because I like to share). They were caught just a week or so apart so it's not the seasonal color shift.
These was from a small brook that has very stained water, but it's very clear

These were from a stream that is usually fairly silty to almost mud colored.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2017, 12:30 PM »
Yeah definitely a difference! Native fish that were never planted?

As a fish taxidermist I get fish from clear, muddy, and stained waters. The muddy watered largemouth bass tend to be really light in color.

Here's a fish that was about 2 years old that was on the astaxanthin for several months. Looks like a wild fish doesn't it? Was in the three to four pound range IIRR.

seamonkey84

« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2017, 01:24 PM »
The ones in the stained water were native, the second set were from fingerlings that were put out to grow. The trout you raise look beautiful, maybe a little too well fed lol.

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2017, 05:26 PM »
The tigers back is very similar to a mackerel pattern.  Very cool.

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2017, 08:55 PM »
The ones in the stained water were native, the second set were from fingerlings that were put out to grow. The trout you raise look beautiful, maybe a little too well fed lol.

I try not to overfeed them but it's hard to get total pounds in a pond vs. a raceway. If I overestimate the pounds in the pond I end up overfeeding them. And fish are like people: they will eat more than they need.

Part of it is they are in a lacustrine environment so they don't expend as many calories swimming against a current like stream and river trout.

We get browns in the Great Lakes fatter then the above fish. They don't call them football browns for nothing!

seamonkey84

« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2017, 11:53 AM »
All in jest lol. I know that Stillwater trout tend to be less streamline and gain weight cause they're not living on a treadmill. I'd say your feeding smartly still, as some who feed to the point they don't look more like a sausage with fins and a mouth. Some fat fish jokes included in this article. http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-fishing-tips-technique/sooooo-ee-calling-all-pellet-pigs-what-you-should-know-about-feeding-trout/

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2017, 04:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing that.  And I found it humorous. Some of it doesn't apply to me as I sell the trout and catching them is just the way to harvest them when it's time to take them out.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2017, 11:12 AM »
Beautiful colors.
Abnormally large fish (they don't normally get that fat in the wild).
With whatever you feed them, surely you aren't eating them, huh? (Maybe you'll pee in a rainbow of colors?)

Anyway, they are great looking fish.
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.