FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Circle Hooks  (Read 3483 times)

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Circle Hooks
« Reply #15 on: Jun 22, 2006, 02:33 PM »
sometime when bass are in a "frenzy" they will strait up inhale the lure or bait of choice to avoid competeing with other fish over the forage. so sometimes there is just no getting out of it.

or. you might be sitting there wwwaaayyyyy too long before initiating the hook into the side of its mouth and its swallowing it by the time you apply pressure.

~Neal

Which is precisely why I like to use circle hooks with senkos.  Usually they take'em right down, but sometimes  the bite doesn't show.  I do everything I can to detect a bite, the biggest thing of which is using braid - braid floats and you can visually see just about any hit - even in windy weather.  Either way, I like to release those big fat mommas in as best condition as possible to go on and spawn again.

eyedokta, I bet it is those hard fighting bronzebacks that out compete those slow walleyes ;D not necessarily the green pigs.

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #16 on: Jun 22, 2006, 03:45 PM »
Hey bigred, are you using circle hooks just for whacky rigging senkos, or do you nose-hook with them too?
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #17 on: Jun 22, 2006, 04:39 PM »
Hey bigred, are you using circle hooks just for whacky rigging senkos, or do you nose-hook with them too?

I nose hook them too, especially when the middle gets torn up.  It seems they like 'em any way they can get'em. ;D

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #18 on: Jun 23, 2006, 08:19 AM »
I nose hook them too, especially when the middle gets torn up.  It seems they like 'em any way they can get'em. ;D

Thanks.  I fish them a lot around grass beds in current so I'm a little concerned about getting hung up, but I'll give it a shot.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

pinche

• Amen
« Reply #19 on: Jun 23, 2006, 10:00 AM »
Rockbassin everyone is doing it !!

Proud member of M.I.R.C. since 2006

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #20 on: Jun 23, 2006, 10:29 PM »
Actually, the term is called "kirbed" when the point of the hook is not in line with the shank of the hook, not offset.  If the hook is not kirbed, then it should lie flat on a level surface.  We're talking semantics here, but offset refers to a bend in the shank that keeps bait (like a plastic worm) from slipping down the hook.  For example, in a bass fishing worm hook, the offset bend is the bend that keeps the plastic worm from slipping down the hook where you pull the hook out on your Texas rigged worm.  The "kirb" refers to a bend on the shank of the hook that keeps the hook shank off the same plane and provides the hook with two things, hooking power because the hook point isn't in line with the shaft, and torque in some cases (like the tru turn hooks) that give you added hook setting ability (debated by some folks yet lauded by others).

A "circle hook" that is preferred by a lot of bass anglers is the Gamakatsu split shot hook (or the Gary Yamamoto split shot hook).  This hook has excellent hooking ability in the circle hook fashion yet is not kirbed and, if you practice catch and release Senko bass fishing, will result in far less gut hooked fish.

If a hook is kirbed it WILL stick at once, as soon as any tension is applied.  If the hook is not kirbed but the gap is open or too wide it will probably stick as soon as pressure is applied.  If the hook isn't kirbed and the point literally points thru the eye of the hook, then it will pull out of the throat and rarely hooks flesh until it reaches the corner of the mouth. 

Use the Yamamoto (or Gamakatsu) split shot hook when using Senkos for a higher percentage of hook ups, much lower fish losses (very rare gut hooked fish).  I prefer the #4 size especially for nose hooking the Senko.  It works on wacky rigs as well.  Bigger size hooks work, but the #4 seems to match the Senko the best.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.