FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: line twist prevention  (Read 3170 times)

adipose

line twist prevention
« on: Jun 17, 2006, 02:28 AM »
I troll and fish with quite a few larger spinners and have yet to come up with any good line twist paraphernalia.Ive tried the popular barrel swivels and bearing swivels but they do little with the big spinners i use.Sure makes for a messed up line.Any one else know of a good prevention tool?thanks

fishryc

Re: line twist prevention
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2006, 04:47 AM »
I troll and fish with quite a few larger spinners and have yet to come up with any good line twist paraphernalia.Ive tried the popular barrel swivels and bearing swivels but they do little with the big spinners i use.Sure makes for a messed up line.Any one else know of a good prevention tool?thanks

A company called SPRO Corp. makes a premium quality ball bearing swivel. I used to do a lot of trolling for yellows with a worm harness and had always been somewhat satasfied with the popular Sampo brand of Japenese swivels. These blow them out of the water. You can almost surely get them online. You can always use two of them also; I can't imagine two of these champs ever allowing line twist.
Good luck-
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

tip-uptwo

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2006, 09:02 AM »
My father has been sponsered by SPRO for a little over a year now and I am more than impressed in the quality of there swivels.Check them out on there site...

Ball bearing with 2 welded rings...

''Heavy swivels''

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2006, 09:04 AM »
those look pretty nice how much do they cost
OR      [IMG]

tip-uptwo

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2006, 09:36 AM »
Not sure....I get em' free ;D

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2006, 03:55 PM »
i buy them in the 45# lb size for stripers...they are very small compared to other swivels of equal strength...they arent cheap but they are well worth the 5 bux it costs for a 3 pack...i get em at dicks sporting goods
Scotty 

devil-man

« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2006, 03:59 PM »
The link is right HERE.
Good stuff!

troutman

« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2006, 04:28 PM »
You are trolling to fast. Spinners are made to troll slow. It doesn’t take much water resistance to spin that blade. How I would rig up a system to troll spinners. Tie a sampo or Berkley ball bearing swivel to the end of your fish line. Make a 3’ section of 20lb leader. Connect it to the ball bearing and use a snap to connect it to the spinner. If you should get any line twist the 3’ leader will twist only. Your fishing line is protected with the ball bearing. Spinners are made to troll no more then 1.5 mph. if you go faster it will twist.
Ray

ifishhi

• fall togue on a 6wt.....what a fight!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2006, 10:43 PM »

those are nice swivels,but i'll stick with a little rudder for trolling...no line twist with those. 

fishryc

« Reply #9 on: Jun 18, 2006, 12:22 AM »
You are trolling to fast.

I was thinking the same thing and was gonna suggest an "In Line Blade" spinner (Panther Martin, etc) and slowing down.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

Niffken

• Tournament Plastic Baits Niffken.com
« Reply #10 on: Jun 18, 2006, 05:53 AM »
tsunami makes the reel on type swivels for a very good price.
Some People are like slinkies... they are not really good for anything, but... they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Wallywhacker

• Work is for days I'm not Fishin or Hunting!
« Reply #11 on: Jun 19, 2006, 10:37 PM »
Yeah! Don't troll! :w00t: :rotflol: Just kidding! ;D tightlines

pikie

« Reply #12 on: Jun 20, 2006, 03:57 PM »
They make inline spinners with a bend in the shaft close to where you tie on.  This is meant to keep your line from twisting at all.  I've also heard you can do it yourself on most spinners.  Eppinger (daredevil) makes one, it took me a while to find it online, but heres a link with a pic.

http://www.thornebros.com/muskie/baits/bucktails/bucktails_eppinger.html

Oh yeah, Using a fireline can really help too.  They do twist, but it doens't mess them up like Mono, plus superlines like Fireline or power pro are great for trolling since there is no line stretch.  You'll probably want to use a 10 ft. leader of florocarbon if your fishing in clear water.

biggeorge50

« Reply #13 on: Jun 21, 2006, 05:58 PM »
I use a keel sinker and casting reel.  That cured my twist problems.
I know enough, I just can't think of most of it.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #14 on: Jun 23, 2006, 08:39 PM »
In addition to the tips above, here are some general line twist tips:

If you have used them more than once on the same rig it doesn't hurt to give your swivels a squirt of 3 and 1 oil. 

Also, there is a product called Reel Magic that you can apply to your line that helps the line not retain as much memory.  I think that this stuff is great and makes your line cast out easier too. 

If you want to untwist your line, cut all your tackle off and allow about twice as much line as you'd use on a troll or cast out (or all of it if you want and your body of water doesn't have too much obstructions or is deep enough) to drift behind the boat all the way down the spool then reel it back in slowly.

If you get a loop in your spool (spinning reel) and don't want a tangled mess when you attempt to pull it out, simply take the spool off and peel the line off from the bottom of the spool.  All loops will come free without a problem.  The push button spools are a piece of cake, but I do this even with the traditional drag spools.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.