FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Spinnerbaits  (Read 4998 times)

Mackdaddy21

Spinnerbaits
« on: Mar 31, 2005, 10:50 PM »
I was wondering what sorts of spinnerbaits you guys choose for bass and pike. I use them about equally for both. For pike they are my go to bait usually. I use 1/8 - 1/4 ounce models, either tandem, single colorado, or double willow for bass, and tandem or double willows for pike in 1/4 to 3/4 ounce size.
Also, I was wondering if any of you know much about weighting spinnerbaits to make smaller baits cast farther? I have heard slipping a small rubbercore sinker on the hook shaft does this trick well.

Tyler

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Spinnerbaits
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2005, 12:27 AM »
for pike, i like 3/8 and 1/2 oz chartrues/white spinnerbaits,  with tandem blades in gold/silver, or wide willowleaf/colorado combo in the same color.  For bass, i use the booyah mini-shad in rivers, strike king mini-king in ponds, and terminator t-1s with the oklahoma blades for lakes.

As for weighting spinnerbaits, the rubbercore trick works well, as does wrapping lead wire around the hook shank.  Also, always use a trailer hook.

G.Horne

« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2005, 06:24 AM »
I use Hog Stiker spinnerbaits made in NH. I mostly use the 1/2oz- 3/4oz but when I want to get them deeper(15'-20') I go with the 1oz- 1 1/4oz spinnerbait for bass. When a bass hits a big spinnerbait like that hold on ;D As for adding weight, there is a spinnerbait called the VPR pro that is the size of a 1/4oz-3/8oz but comes in 3/4-1oz. Not sure of the web site I use to buy them off of. It was a company from California.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2005, 06:43 AM »
Oh my, one of my favorite topics!

For bass, I have a big supply of them from 1/16 oz. to 1 oz. in several colors, both tandem and single spin.  I have a wide selection of skirts and blades too and interchange them to get the color/size combo that I want for any particular day.  Early season I start with larger blades to better match baitfish size.  After spawn I start smaller.  Water clarity and cover (weeds, wood, rocks) also dictate which ones I may use.  I find that this way of storing spinnerbaits is very effective, stores easily and much less expensive.  I also carry spare parts with me (ball bearing snap swivels and clevises) in case I need a quick repair on one.   My core colors are black, chartreuse, and white for the spinnerbaits themselves and usually carry 2 each of each size and core blade color.  The outside blade on the tandems is the one that I change colors and sizes for and on the singles I only carry 2 of each size with no blades attached (add them as I need them).  For blades, I carry Indiana, Colorado, a hybrid of those, and willow leaf blades in sizes 4 through 8 in several colors including, copper, nickle, gold, chartreuse, white and black.  I carry skirts of all colors stored in zip lock bags but always have the following in my selection:  chartreuse, white, black, white/chartreuse, firetiger, pumpkin/chartreuse.  I add other colors if I find good deals on them especially if they have good flash.  I always buy silicone ones now or ones that don't gum up.  I also carry an assortment of skirts for my skirted jigs as I store them without skirts as well.  This gives me more flexibility too with that lure.  Same with buzzbaits too.  With any of these lures if I carried each size and color combination I'd probably have 200 lures with me.  I can cut that down to about 40 or 50 total (spinnerbaits, buzzers, and skirted jigs combined).

Also, I make my own skirts and assemble my spinnerbaits myself, buying the parts separately to save money.  I'd pour my own but I don't have the space in my house to do that or ventilation (nor do I have a place outside or in a garage).

I don't add weight because the one ounce size seems to do the job for me in deeper water.  I slow roll the 1/2 oz. to 1 oz. sizes depending on the depth that I find the fish at.  If the bite is tough, I may try that some day.

When I've pike fished, I've used pretty much the same lures.  The larger sizes tend to work best for me especially in chartreuse or firetiger.  Also, blue seems to be a good color for them.

In line spinnerbaits are also very good for both species.  I could go on forever about them but I'll leave that topic to you guys!

Other species that I've caught using the safety pin style (either accidentally or on purpose ::) )

White bass, striped bass, yellow perch, crappie, muskie, walleye, lake trout, rainbow trout, rock bass, and bluefish.

phead lakeman

« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2005, 08:55 PM »
fat boy is the type of guy you want on your boat youll learn alot from him

devil-man

« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2005, 02:25 AM »
Also, I make my own skirts and assemble my spinnerbaits myself, buying the parts separately to save money.

Can you elaborate on this point a little, FB?
Curious minds would like to know...  ;D

Original FISHER Jodoin

« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2005, 04:36 PM »
lime green strike king
GIT _ R _ DONE

big big rdg

« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2005, 05:01 PM »
Titanium is the way to go, I like using chart. 3/8 for Bass, and dont go pike fishing at all...
FSHON!

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2005, 11:03 AM »

Thanks.  I'm not as dumb as I look, LOL!  :) 

Pikeguy

« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2005, 11:22 AM »

Thanks.  I'm not as dumb as I look, LOL!  :) 

Good thing right?  :whistling:LOL Just kidding, I don't want any arguments ;D

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2005, 11:40 AM »
Also, I make my own skirts and assemble my spinnerbaits myself, buying the parts separately to save money.

Curious minds would like to know... ;D

Curious minds would like to know... ;D

You can buy kits to make skirts from Jann's Netcraft or Barlows, also you can buy all the parts, lure components, and tools that you need to make spinnerbaits and buzzbaits.  Cabelas and Bass Pro also have some lure making supplies.  I don't pour my own lead so I buy preformed spinnerbaits and buzzbaits mainly because I don't currently have the space in my home to do this.  So, for now, I buy them painted in chartreuse, black, and white mainly because I like to put them together in a hurry, but you can paint them yourself to save money too.  It is eventually cheaper to pour your own and I'll one day do that.  Right now, to buy components and painted heads it costs me about a dollar a spinnerbait completed.  Of course, the more you buy the cheaper it is per bait but the initial investment seems high.  I have enough spinnerbaits and buzzers to last me for years.  Here are the links to those sites: 

Jann's Netcraft

Barlow's

One thing for sure is that you save money making your own, but that isn't the only reason I like doing it.  I also like to design my own stuff and when it works (sometimes better than stuff on the market) it's very rewarding.  Fly tiers also get this same sort of satisfaction.  By the way, you can pretty much make any kind of lure with supplies, including flies and ice jigs, from these catalogues. 

Here are the components that you'd need (for how I do it, from Jann's - by the way, I'm not endorsing one company over another here, they are both very good and have good service, I've purchased a lot of stuff from both of them, I'm just using these links here to show pics of what you'd need):

(Click on the link for a picture)
Wire spinnerbait preformed heads

Wire clevises

Solid Metal Beads - don't have to be solid metal, I just like the added weight to the bait

Ball Bearing Snap Swivels - I like these because I can change blades quickly.  If you prefer ball bear swivels with no snap which gives you a tighter spin on the outer blade, then it only takes a minute or so to change blades using split ring pliers, which by the way I'd recommend buying anyway.

Blades - the combinations are endless it seems.  I already spoke of my preferences above, but for the inside blades, I like size 3 but 2 works good.  You don't want this blade too large.  For tandem willowleaf baits, I prefer the same size as the outer blade but if you use a huge outer blade like say size 7 then go with a 4 for the inside as the largest size.

Skirts and tools for skirt making - again, the possibilities are endless!

Split rings and split ring pliers - you might find that split rings come in handy.  I use them for connecting lure components on in line buzzers some times and for emergency replacement on my swivels.  They also come in handy for crankbaits too.

Wire and wire bending tools - the wire bending tool comes in handy for making in line baits, loop ends, twists, etc.  You can do this stuff with needlenose pliers but it is more time consuming.  I have made a lot of use of these tools.  Make sure that you buy the right size bending tool for the size wire that you intend to bend.

You also can find paint and lead molds for just about anything.

devil-man

« Reply #11 on: Apr 06, 2005, 01:41 PM »
Thank you, sir!  8)

bassbait

• KICKIN SOME BASS
« Reply #12 on: Apr 08, 2005, 04:45 PM »
terminator 's and stanley spinner baits, natural colors for bass, double willow for clear water, single willow with tamdem blade

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.