FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: My Yearly plea for Compliance with Boating Laws  (Read 8365 times)

Action Seekers

My Yearly plea for Compliance with Boating Laws
« on: Mar 20, 2012, 10:39 AM »
As with many of you I fish in many parts of the state and I get tired and frustrated with folks who just don't know the Boating laws with regard to who has the right of way.  It makes it difficult when trolling and leads to lines being run over, loss fish etc.  IF you could do me a favor and get the word out to any newbies out there that a person approaching from your right has the right of way, that is you must allow them to pass in front to of your boat.  Also, if you are attempting to pass a boat, that boat has the right of way. I am sure you would agree that If everyone just kept this in mind, fishing would be much more enjoyable.

Turnbuckle

Re: My Yearly plea for Compliance with Boating Laws
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2012, 10:50 AM »
As with many of you I fish in many parts of the state and I get tired and frustrated with folks who just don't know the Boating laws with regard to who has the right of way.  It makes it difficult when trolling and leads to lines being run over, loss fish etc.  IF you could do me a favor and get the word out to any newbies out there that a person approaching from your right has the right of way, that is you must allow them to pass in front to of your boat.  Also, if you are attempting to pass a boat, that boat has the right of way. I am sure you would agree that If everyone just kept this in mind, fishing would be much more enjoyable.

Good suggestion, but it should be known that "no vessel has the right-of-way over another vessel", there is just suggested ettiquite. Like at the docks, when the idiot pulls up to the end of an empty dock and ties off to go get his truck while 3 other boats could be tying up behind him and also getting their vehicles. Mostly Flats...
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

Action Seekers

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2012, 11:55 AM »
I am sorry but according to the Maine Boating Laws (on Inland waters anyway) this is the law not just a nice thing to do.     

fishlessman

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2012, 12:08 PM »
I am sorry but according to the Maine Boating Laws (on Inland waters anyway) this is the law not just a nice thing to do.     

i would like to see how that works with 40 something boats heading east and 60 something boats heading west and 6 boats heading north and 12 boats heading south all in a 50 yard radius infront of the songo buoys. throw in a few anchored boats and someone dropping in a skiier ;D im actually amazed how lines are not crossed too often out there

Turnbuckle

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2012, 12:24 PM »

As a guide, you may want to print this out and read it.  :D :D Just kidding with you.

It's really not a law, it's suggested etiquette.

"Even though no vessel has the "right-of-way" over another vessel, there are some rules that every operator should follow when encountering other vessels."

http://www.boat-ed.com/maine/handbook/book.html#page7

At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2012, 01:02 PM »
i would like to see how that works with 40 something boats heading east and 60 something boats heading west and 6 boats heading north and 12 boats heading south all in a 50 yard radius infront of the songo buoys. throw in a few anchored boats and someone dropping in a skiier ;D im actually amazed how lines are not crossed too often out there

You beat me to it!   That might be the boating laws while generally underway, however, at the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

Turnbuckle

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2012, 01:22 PM »
You beat me to it!   That might be the boating laws while generally underway, however, "at the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest!" ;D ;D

That's T-shirt, banner, and signature worthy right there!  :D :D

rpc55

• aka "Bonehead"
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2012, 01:42 PM »
You beat me to it!   That might be the boating laws while generally underway, however, at the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

yesah!!

gamefisher

« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2012, 02:00 PM »

Don't forget about that one guy Bob who thinks he has an exemption - always going north - south in that beat up red boat fishing about 6 lines solo. ;D

buddah

• Stick'em!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2012, 02:22 PM »
Don't forget about that one guy Bob who thinks he has an exemption - always going north - south in that beat up red boat fishing about 6 lines solo. ;D

That would be "Hammerhead".Call him on channel 14 on the CB and he'll answer.

gamefisher

« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2012, 02:26 PM »
That would be "Hammerhead".Call him on channel 14 on the CB and he'll answer.

Appropriate handle I'll say that Boot. :rotflol:  He pushed Mark, Scotty, and I into about 7' of water by the bouy one day before relinquishing.  Gave Mark a look like it was on us! :w00t: :wacko:  That didn't go all that well. ;D

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2012, 03:45 PM »

The first time I saw that guy out there, his boat reminded me of a Chuck Norris movie with one of those boats on the Mekong Delta. ;D   He sure doesn't need a megaphone. :)

I didn't see him once last year? But then again, I don't fish there many weekends either. ::)
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

buddah

• Stick'em!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2012, 04:06 PM »
The first time I saw that guy out there, his boat reminded me of a Chuck Norris movie with one of those boats on the Mekong Delta. ;D   He sure doesn't need a megaphone. :)

I didn't see him once last year? But then again, I don't fish there many weekends either. ::)

Rising gas prices will keep him off the water.

bugman1964

« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2012, 04:32 PM »
Everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people. Hopefully the gene pool thinned a little over the winter. ;D

gamefisher

« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2012, 06:22 PM »
The first time I saw that guy out there, his boat reminded me of a Chuck Norris movie with one of those boats on the Mekong Delta. ;D 

:rotflol:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.