FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wabash river condition report  (Read 5442 times)

bigr

Wabash river condition report
« on: Jul 24, 2019, 05:27 AM »
From watching the corp of eng site the river should be down close to it's normal summer levels and good shape for fishing this coming weekend. Also don't forget the cleanup in Wabash county section Saturday morning if any are interested. Pm me for details. Been awhile since the river has been down for any extended length of time and it looks like we may get a good run at her now.

lovetfish

Re: Wabash river condition report
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2019, 07:57 AM »
 :thumbup_smilie:

RoeBoat

« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2019, 09:32 AM »
Been a crazy year for fishing the rivers!  Do you remember another year like this bigr?

bigr

« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2019, 11:28 AM »
Yes. A lot like last year. Very little early fishing for more than a day or so until mid to late summer. The very best fishing on the river is normally mid may to 1st of july then it slows til weather cools in sept. I havn't got to do any of the best period for atleast the last two years.

Walleyechaser96

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2019, 03:04 PM »

Walleyechaser96

« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2019, 03:05 PM »
Been catching a few. Been waiting for the water to go down and now it has! Fish on!

RoeBoat

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2019, 03:21 PM »
Great job, nice eyes!

bigr

« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2019, 08:49 AM »
conditions have been right for fishing the river atleast up to today. Yesterdays rains didn't have much effect but I do notice the resi's are slightly up from summer pool so it is possisble the corp may discharge at a higher rate for a day or two soon. A combined discharge of 450cfu's from sally and roush will make current much fast and fishing the holes tougher. I've caught and seen several nice eyes the past week and expect to continue with good outing as long as normal summer conditions continue. A float trip will be in my near future.   

bherr24

« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2019, 10:17 PM »
I waded a new spot on the wabash here in logansport this evening for a couple hours. Caught one 16 inch sauger and an 18 inch walleye. Walleye slipped out of my hands as i was reachin for my stringer so i just ended up releasing the sauger too. I also caught 5 or 6 smallmouths. Not too bad for a search mission. Ill fish the spot more thoroughly either tomorrow or over the weekend.

bherr24

« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2019, 02:05 PM »
Hit same spot again on wednesday afternoon...ended up with one keeper eye and sauger....one short...and had 2 more get away. Buddy hit it this morning and got a 18 and 20 inch eye. Im stocked up on cranks and ready to try this evening.

bherr24

« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2019, 10:54 AM »
Threw all i had at em last evening and only managed 2 short eyes and one 16 inch sauger. River is down and in pretty good shape. Water where im at is almost clear...at least by wabash standards.

bigr

« Reply #11 on: Aug 06, 2019, 01:25 PM »
River is down pretty much as low as you want and is as clear for this time of year. Best for several years. I've not been able to get in her for a couple weeks but that all changes this evening. I'll be fishing her everyday the rest of the week. Watch for updates.

bherr24

« Reply #12 on: Aug 06, 2019, 05:10 PM »
Good luck bigr. Im giving it a rest today. I got another keeper eye and sauger last evening along with a short eye. Bite has been tougher though. Went to a spot in peru saturday with a friend and got a 19 inch eye on my 3rd cast then not a bite the next 3 hours. Have another deep hole here in logan that was excellent 2 years ago in the fall but have not found any fish there yet this year. Might be a touch early for there yet.

bigr

« Reply #13 on: Aug 07, 2019, 05:18 AM »
Not many bites but still managed 2 sauger and a legal eye along with a couple skipjacks. Normally I get a lot of taps and short lived hook ups. I'll be trying the mouth of sally and Wabash this evening. I expect about the same thing there. Water is as warm as its going to get and as low. If we have the same water conditions in may and june we would be limiting ever trip but August is always tougher for number of bites. The fish just move to deeper water down stream. Sept will bring a better bite if water conditions stay as they are. The guys willing to night fish seem to do as well right now as any time. I don't think they get anymore bites but do get larger fish. I'll take three on my stringer for a couple hrs fishing and be happy about it.

bigr

« Reply #14 on: Aug 08, 2019, 05:24 AM »
Number of hits was up last evening. Caught a variety of fish. Two short eyes, one sauger, one nice smallie. one short nose gar, one white bass, three skipjacks, four or five short hook ups and that many hard hits. Been using a Zuri Pin fish with rattle in the blue and green mirror finish. I like the results but think I should try one with a white hair tail. That might focus them in on the business end. Next trip will be a float Saturday morning or a twenty mile drive down stream toward Logansport to some deeper water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.