FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Off Topic - tree service...and a flint lake report...  (Read 1772 times)

LundProv

Sorry this is so self serving but I will at least give a recent fish report.  Hit Flint lake here in Porter County Saturday from 3 to 6 PM and simply trolled 1/16th oz jigs/twister tails at about 1.2 mph in 10 feet of water.  Circled the lake a few times and ended up with 12 nice crappies from 9-11" and one nice gill.  Was out with my son and we hadn't fished together for a while so conversation made the time fly.  Really enjoy my Lund Impact 1775 Sport -- easy to launch and retrieve and overall just a nice boat to fish from.  Also, I live in Union Township just slightly west of Valpo and need a recommendation for a reliable tree service to take down an oak that I have been watching for a few years as it continues to lean towards my house.  It is not a monster in size but about 24" in diameter and pretty tall.  Every time I walk past it, I think I could handle this but as I enter the house, I remind myself that I am not 19 anymore and should probably have a professional with a bucket truck and who knows what they are doing.  I would also like the stump ground up.  Thanks as always for the advice and if you get a chance, give Flint a try...

RoeBoat

Re: Off Topic - tree service...and a flint lake report...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2019, 11:05 PM »
Good luck with that tree. Had a similar situation but thankfully it was leaning away from the house.  Got one estimate for $3250, didn't include stump removal!!!  Was working on getting more estimates literally when the tree fell.  Appears that carpenter ants took it down.  Took out the street lights but no other damage.  City cleaned up the top which was across the street and in the neighbor's yards.

abishop

« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2019, 12:09 AM »
Always nice to save money. Tree surgeons are high dollar. Used to know a guy that would put the climbing spikes on and top the tree first before falling it AND CHARGE 300 CLEAN UP AND STUMP REMOVAL. AAH, THE OLD DAYS.

Spooled85

« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2019, 03:16 PM »
Actually had a buddy call me about taking a tree down lean towards his barn as I was reading this post this morning ! All u need I bush light a chain saw and a rope 😂

fishcrazy

« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2019, 07:50 PM »
Glad you are enjoying your impact. Just picked my my Impact not looking forward to breaking in the mercury but all part of the deal I guess. I have dreamed of a Lund my whole life so pretty excited

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2019, 11:19 PM »
Removed at least a dozen large willow trees on the property a few months go with the help of  friend and my dad. Used a special rope and a quad on some of them to pull them away from the buildings. Also made sure the wind was in the right direction. Stumps were painted with Tordon herbicide to kill them and keep them from resprouting and it worked great. Next will drill holes in the stumps and add Potassium nitrate and diesel fuel and burn them. Was told we can burn them down that way to below ground. No grinding needed .

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2019, 11:25 PM »
This is what willow tree roots will do to a drainage pipe. After I removed an 8 inch drainage pipe that had filled to a solid mass of roots, they also started to fill the ditch the drainage pipe was in after only a couple of months.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

abishop

« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2019, 12:54 AM »
HAD WILLOWS ON FOLKS PROPERTY. THEY WERE ALWAYS HUGE AND ALWAYS DYING.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2019, 08:53 AM »
HAD WILLOWS ON FOLKS PROPERTY. THEY WERE ALWAYS HUGE AND ALWAYS DYING.

Not sure about dying but branches broke off easily in storms, and they were constantly losing leaves and small branches all year long.  Quite a mess! One Weeping Willow my mother convinced me to plant near my trout pond, grew roots into the water of about 50 percent of the shoreline and still spreading. Then nasty filamentous algae would grow on the roots. The  roots are dead now but still there in the water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.