FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Is this minnow a Eastern blacknose dace  (Read 1535 times)

charlys1954

Is this minnow a Eastern blacknose dace
« on: Sep 15, 2019, 05:17 PM »
I caught a bunch of these minnows and wanted to make sure they was legal to use. I know they're not shiners so I added photos to see if someone can ID them. They have a orange/brownish strip, top is dark green with black dots, fins are pretty much clear not orange, snot is pointed not blunt.

2nd pic is from a link I found it looks just like mine but lighter, my photo is the 1st

I'm a "Born in Ind" Redneck and proud of it

fishinator

Re: Is this minnow a Eastern blacknose dace
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2019, 12:26 PM »
There are 2 dace species and a few other minnows that are endangered in indiana.

abishop

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2019, 02:10 PM »
I only see the 1 pic.

charlys1954

« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2019, 12:44 PM »
There are 2 dace species and a few other minnows that are endangered in indiana.

I've always used bait shop minnows my whole life. Being retired I have allot of idol time so I thought I would see if I could catch some. Since I've never used traped minnows I wanted to make sure they was legal. I would say its a common creek minnow I've caught it in 3 different creeks. Does this minnow has a nick name.

Most of what I've caught are to big for crappie mainly bass, eye, and pike size(3"-7"). Monday I had a blast catching bass on a bobber while crappie/gill fishing, caught only one crappie and it was on a red wiggler go figure that.

BTW, the square 1gl water jug sold at Walmart for 98¢ make great traps, allot better/bigger than 2L pop bottle. First time I used it I caught approx. 20 minnows(3-6"). I'll add a photo if anyone wants to see it. To make holes in the sides/end/cone heat a big penny nail on stove and poke holes. Put the nail in vise grips to save burnt fingers. You have to put weight inside so it will sink faster, I used rocks. Cheaper than buying 1/4" welded screen which is $12 for a 3'x5' piece and they rust.

I'm a "Born in Ind" Redneck and proud of it

fishinator

« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2019, 12:54 PM »

Here is the list. I have no idea what any of them look like or their common names. Like someone else said, I have never had a C.O. ask to see whats in my minnow bucket but you never know.

fishinator

« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2019, 12:57 PM »

This is a list of "special concern"   I would assume it's illegal to possess them as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.