FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Floor repair on a 30 year old boat  (Read 4863 times)

Joe in T.C.

Floor repair on a 30 year old boat
« on: Aug 01, 2015, 01:33 PM »

I noticed some soft spots in our boats starboard side floor. They seemed to start where brackets for a cooler were installed. The port side had a small soft spot as well. I had recommendations from a piece of tin with roofing cement to fiber glassing and gel coating the entire floor and installing snap in carpets. I decided to go somewhere in between the two.

First step was to remove the interior and carpet so I could assess the damage:

I cut the floor back farther than necessary, but I wanted a good look to make sure it was just the floor that was damaged. A trim saw set to cut just thru the floor works well:

I cut new floors out of premium exterior grade plywood. I eased the edges and scuffed up the surface on both sides with a 40 grit disc on an orbital sander:                                                                                                                                   

Next I used a waterproof sealer on the bottom side and edges:

Here I added some extra supports at the edges. It should fit snug but not overly tight. Some custom grinding and cutting is required. The fiberglass lip was screwed to the new supports and the new floor will screw to these supports as well:

I used some tiger hair fiberglass to fill any cracks and level out some areas that were uneven.I also cleaned up the original fiberglass and wood with a 40 grit disc on an orbital sander:                                                 

I always like to Pre-cut and pre-fit all glass mat and cloth before mixing any resin:

After the fiberglass work was done I added a couple coats of waterproof sealer:

When installing carpet on a boat, make sure to use a solvent based adhesive that is waterproof not water resistant. My favorite is “Henry 263” but it’s hard to find and difficult to ship into Michigan. I ended up using Dap Weldwood “All Weather Outdoor Carpet Adhesive”, which worked very well and has a very similar makeup to “Henry 263”:

The project took longer than anticipated, and the color turned out to be a deeper blue than what I was lead to believe, but I was pleased with how it turned out:

Now it’s time to get the gear ready and get fishing. Good luck all and enjoy the summer

[

Mac Attack

Re: Floor repair on a 30 year old boat
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2015, 01:42 PM »
Nice job and excellent report.

Mac

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2015, 01:53 PM »
Well done!

I like people who plan.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2015, 04:00 PM »
Great job..  Better than new...  ;D
Welcome to the site... 
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2015, 04:31 PM »
Never noticed that was your 1st post
Impressive!

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2015, 05:30 PM »
Just like new. Nice job...h2l

Joe in T.C.

« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2015, 08:56 AM »
Thanks everyone :)

I've been on  iceshanty.com for a few years now and some of the guys over there recommended this site.

Nothing wrong with talking ice fishing year round, but spring, summer and fall open water fishing is great too.

Went out yesterday afternoon and got some gills for dinner, they are just a good eating fish.

Good Luck All  :tipup:

http://www.iceshanty.com/

pot-belly-pike

« Reply #7 on: Aug 02, 2015, 10:06 PM »
sweet  Fix   
X2 
&
Welcome   to the site
Smile it makes others wonder what your up to

~:+)

oh no fish-on i gotta get fishin

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2015, 09:06 AM »
Wow, don't let anyone tell you a fiberglass pleasure craft can't function perfectly fine as a fishing vessel!! Nicely equipped!

Greg2ha

• Must fish for fun!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2015, 06:21 PM »
Nice rebuild! Looks great.

iceman260

« Reply #10 on: Aug 06, 2015, 07:12 PM »
Nice job on the rebuild.

youp50

« Reply #11 on: Aug 07, 2015, 06:16 PM »
Good looking job.  I have a feeling this was not your first rodeo.

How many hours in this project?

Why premium exterior plywood vs marine plywood or pressure treated below grade plywood?

Joe in T.C.

« Reply #12 on: Aug 07, 2015, 07:39 PM »
youp50,

I did a bass boat several years back, which can be a little more challenging on the carpet layout.

For this application I like the premium exterior grade plywood because its close to marine grade quality at about half the cost.

I don't use the pressure treated below grade plywood because resins and sealers don't stick to it very well. I've heard it will stick to it if you put it outside and let it air dry and age for a few months first though.

Its kind of hard to guesstimate the time over a few weekends, but I think 30+ hours would be close for the tear down, repair and re installing the interior.

Thanks for the questions and interest.

Good Luck All  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.