FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Where are the inshore cod?  (Read 2341 times)

Rapala7G

Where are the inshore cod?
« on: Sep 27, 2020, 05:56 PM »
For many decades I got my cod fix by fishing directly off Halibut Point, Rockport, MA.

Fishing in depths of between 60 and 80 feet, the cod were easily caught using sea clams or sea worms.

I am well aware that the cod stock is diminished and the take limit and season are minimal.

My question is this:

Without motoring all the way to Jeffrey's Ledge, where can I find cod off the NH coast?

The Isles of Shoals are easy for me to reach and on a calm day, I'd go as far as another five miles out.

Anchoring is ok up to about 150' but less depth is easier.

Thanks for your help!

Steve H.

Re: Where are the inshore cod?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2020, 06:57 AM »
I've caught keeper cod at Breaking Rocks in Seabrook while fishing for mackerel in early summer so they're around.  I would try Hampton Shoal Ledge. 
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

bikrsrule

« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2020, 05:52 PM »
about 5 miles east of the shoals is Scantum, if its calm you dont have to anchor, just drift and jig or bait fish..

Rapala7G

« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2020, 09:30 PM »
Thank you for the responses.  The names sound familiar but I am not finding these areas using Navionics. 

Are these charted and labeled as such on NOAA charts?

My cod season is over now due to weather but I hope to hit the ground (sea?) running for the April 1-14 season next year.

I can't remember a September this windy!

In the spring I hope to find some haddock in close.

A keeper cod and a limit of haddock would be great!

Steve H.

« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2020, 08:46 AM »
Kinda hard to see on this old chart but gives you an idea.

You can see that Hampton Shoal Ledge is inshore while Scantum is quite a ways offshore.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Steve H.

« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2020, 09:26 AM »
Thank you for the responses.  The names sound familiar but I am not finding these areas using Navionics. 

Do yourself a favor and pick up a Captain Seagull's chart.  Way more named spots than Navionics.

https://shop.captainsegullcharts.com/Massachusetts/Bathymetric-Cape-Ann-to-Jeffreys-Ledge.html

Rapala7G

« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2020, 03:05 PM »
Thanks for the help identifying these places.

"Old Scantum" will require a very calm day for me.

My 17' center console is built big but I know my limits.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.