FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: cranking battery problems  (Read 4757 times)

bassandbucks2

cranking battery problems
« on: Jul 20, 2012, 09:51 AM »
The last few trips I've had my cranking battery seems to lose power quickly. I had the battery checked at walmart and it was fine. I have two depthfinders, the bilge and livewell pumps and the outboard attached to it. I've never had  a problem of a battery going dead before with the two depth finders on during a normal 6-8 hour trip, I haven't used the bilge or or livewell pumps at all in the last few trips. A few days ago after a 3 hour trip my volts dropped to 10. is it possible one of the depth finders is drawing extra juice? Any one have any suggestions? I do have a separate deep cycle battery that the trolling motor is hooked to and the only connection between the two is my on board battery charger. thanks.

tbfisherman

• FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
Re: cranking battery problems
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2012, 08:52 PM »
Hi

If your outboard has an altenator it sounds to me like it isn't working and your battery isn't being
charged while your fishing.
Hope it is an easy cheap fix but then again these days seems like nothing is cheap.

Bob

OTIS

« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2012, 06:44 AM »
My motor (2006 60hp Merc) had an in-line fuse that was blown causing the battery not to charge.  Quick and easy fix to the problem.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

bassandbucks2

« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2012, 08:24 AM »
Thanks for the tips. My last trip out I had charged the batteries and unplugged the charger the night before. I get to the ramp at mid-day and the cranking battery is only at about 9-10 volts!! I make it through the trip with the motor starting each time. When i got home I started looking around to see if there was a short someplace in one of the wires. When i realized how many wires there were between the bilge pump, airrator, two depth finders, all the gauges on the dash, etc. I decided to have the battery checked one more time. I took it to Auto Zone and they said it was a bad battery. I haven't had a chance to get it out on the water yet, but it is holding it's charge which is a good sign. I must say i'm not to happy with interstate batteries. I bought a new boat about a 1 1/2 years ago and it came fully rigged with two new interstate batteries, a cranking and deep cycle. I fish an a lot and use the trolling motor all the time. I usually only get 2 maybe three years out of them because of the use. Well, I've already replaced the interstate deep cycle about two months ago, and now the interstate cranking battery. my last boat i got 6 years out of my cranking battery before i had to replace it. thanks again for the tips.

Reel Force

« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2012, 07:15 PM »
Here's my experience - never have electronics plugged to the cracking batt. This should be ur set up.

1- Crancking Batt. - dedicated to cranking motor

1- deep cycle for electronics

1-2 deep cycle - ( depending on volts for trolling motor)

Flying tiger

• love paying taxes to the state thanks for asking
« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2012, 06:29 PM »
Here's my experience - never have electronics plugged to the cracking batt. This should be ur set up.

1- Crancking Batt. - dedicated to cranking motor

1- deep cycle for electronics

1-2 deep cycle - ( depending on volts for trolling motor)

:) :) :tipup:
love paying taxes to the state thanks for asking. flying tiger out

mr tip up

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 01:46 PM »
you have to make sure your battery is holding a charge  it sound to me its not you should have your cranking battery only for your motor and other batterys for every thing else
a bad day of fishing is better then a good day of work

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.