FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Did a stupid thing to my outboard - Pivot pin evinrude 15hp  (Read 2711 times)

TheDL

First off...I'm not that knowledgeable about motors and yes, I realize this was stupid.  Motor is a 1993 15HP evinrude

I went to change the lower unit oil last night (haven't done it before) and I accidentally took out the wrong screw  :oops: .  It wouldn't go back in, I moved the shift level from drive to neutral and it went right in.  A buddy told me this was the 'pivot pin' that puts the transmission in gear and I likely didn't get it back into it's correct alignment.  A quick google search on the subject confirms this was not a good screw to remove.

So...it does shift into forward and reverse now, which does seem to take the prop out of neutral spin.  The prop does spin BOTH ways with some effort to turn it over in both forward and reverse.  I've yet to start it up, but was thinking of starting it in the driveway (with the muffs on it) to see if it still spins the prop forward and backward. 

A few questions for those who may know more about this:

Is it a bad idea to just start it up and pop it in gear as is to test?

Do I need to pull apart the lower unit to line this pivot pin back up or is there some way to do it easily?
tight lines....

OTIS

Re: Did a stupid thing to my outboard - Pivot pin evinrude 15hp
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2014, 10:00 AM »
A little late but be warned, there's a LOT of rods and pins in the lower unit!  If you're not comfortable with this stuff it's easier and cheaper to take to a mechanic now than in a box.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Big Brother

Re: Did a stupid thing to my outboard - Pivot pin evinrude 15hp
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2014, 11:17 AM »
When in  neutral does the prop spin freely?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.