FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Starting issues  (Read 3472 times)

Ironic

Starting issues
« on: May 28, 2015, 03:41 PM »
Hi guys.  I know very little about outboards, and always take mine to a shop for work.  Unfortunately, he's backed-up right now and won't be able to get it in for a couple of weeks.  So I turn to my friends on MFF for advice.  Here's the story...

I've got a 1978 Johnson 35 HP, model 35BL78R.  About an hour's usage ago I had my "guy" replace the electronic control unit with a used one that he had on hand.  It worked like a charm for the day that I had it out, and I had no issues.  I went to take it out last weekend and it wouldn't start.  I turned the key, the motor turned over, coughed, then stopped.  That happened a couple more times before turning the key had no effect whatsoever. 

The boat's in my garage now.  The battery is fully charged.  I can trace the battery wires to the motor and test it on a multimeter and it reads over 12 volts on the motor.  But that's as far as I can get.  I'm stumped, and am hoping that there's something simple that I can try to do to fix this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ron

Ironic

Re: Starting issues
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 05:04 PM »
Good news.  I tore out as many wires as I could safely tear out and found that one was corroded.  After replacing the corroded section we're up and running again.

I'll replace the entire wire and ending connection, but for now, I get to get to my fishing spots quickly.

-Ron

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.