FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Can't find the cats  (Read 3454 times)

Stink Bait

Can't find the cats
« on: Apr 14, 2005, 12:25 PM »
Well I have been fishing twice in the last week and haven't seen hide nor hair of the cats yet. I have tried high and low from bottum to top and haven't caught one yet. My first trip I only got 4 bites all day and only caught 2 bluegills. Yesterday was a little better, we caught a couple small bass and several bluegills. I also caught a gar that got wrapped up in my line, I didn't even hook him. I guess the water is still a little cold for the cats. Here is a pic of the gar I caught on the end of my knife:

http://www.hunt101.com/?p=275191&c=500&z=1"][/url]

Trophy Hunter639

Re: Can't find the cats
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2005, 03:59 PM »
That's a cool looking fish SB!! The body kinda looks like a pike :DDid you try looking for cats below a dam or around inflowing creeks and shallow right tight to shore in some spots.I'd be trying to find out what the fish they eat are doing this time of year and likely spots to find the baitfish then look for likely ambush spots for cats.Current seams and eddies are good spots to look as well. I can't wait to see the pics 8) 8) 8)

Stink Bait

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2005, 05:22 PM »
I never thought of it but the gar does kind of remind me of a pike. It's got some wicked teeth too. I tried the shallows last saturday but still didn't find them. I talked a lady that lives right by the dam and she did catch a 10 pounder there last week at night. I am going to try by the dam next time I go plus another shallow area that I know of. She said she caught the cat at night so I am hoping to do a little nite fishing soon too. I am thinking the same as you, find the bluegills and baitfish and I'll find the cats. So far, I'm still looking.

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2005, 05:33 PM »
Good luck bud!! You'll find em and I need the pics to keep me going till season opens back up here on may 15th ;D

treed942000

• Bailee and Sandee
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2005, 06:01 AM »
Stink Bait

Hopefully the weather will warm up soon.  I think the water temps are still to cool.  I haven't had a chance to go target them, but come May I'll be out about every Friday night.

TReed
Tight Lines,
TReed

Open Water @ www.myfishfinder.com Icy Conditions @ www.iceshanty.com Hunting @
www.myhuntingforum.com

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2005, 06:16 AM »
stinkbait: i have found that when the water temps are under 55 or so, i have done best for cats in deeper holes that have very little current (wintering holes).

Stink Bait

« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2005, 03:49 PM »
Water temps were 57 degrees here last week. I marked a few fish deep with my fishfinder and tried floating a live and a cut bluegill by them at about a foot off the bottom. Couldn't get them to bite. I finally caught a couple Friday. I caught this one on a cut bluegill at about 5 feet from the surface.

And I caught this one on a worm up along the edge of the bank.

I caught them both in the hottest part of the day. It was about 80 degrees here that day.

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2005, 04:06 PM »
WTG Stink-Bait! 5 feet unfer the surface eh........ sounds like float fishing time ;D 8) Thanks for posting pics still got till may 15th here until the season opens again. 8) 8)

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2005, 11:19 PM »
Are you fishing a river or lake? Looks more like a lake in that photo?

Tyler

Stink Bait

« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2005, 01:24 PM »
I'm fishing a resevoir  that is behind my house. It is nearly 100 years old and has bever been drained. A buddy of mine caught an 87 pound flathead there 2 years ago. It is usually really good for catfish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.