FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Get ready on Resi's  (Read 6002 times)

bigr

Get ready on Resi's
« on: Mar 03, 2021, 06:07 AM »
With open water this time of year the crappie and catfishing will get good. The corp is dumping water fast and levels are quickly returning to winter pool and never did get real dirty. I love the catfish bite this time of year because the water color or level doesn't make much difference. I use a pc of cut bait but I think any bait that's meant for cats will work. Bottom fish the flats near drops but again I haven't seen many places I couldn't get a bite. A couple locations I fish on the Sally is the lost bridge west camp area in pirates cove and at the beach. Both easy walks good parking. Take a third pole and cast a jigging bobber for the crappie while you wait on mr whiskers. On the miss the red bridge area and just about any portion of that area could be good. I plan on soaking some cut bait Friday. Those cats are good eating this time of year. I've found that if you really clean the meat up by trimming, removing anything that might make them alittle strong(red meat,yellow meat) they make for what may be the best fish of the year.   

techja

Re: Get ready on Resi's
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2021, 09:37 AM »
Do you have better success fishing for the catfish in the afternoons as it warms up?

bigr

« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2021, 12:21 PM »
Not much difference but I would say yes,

bigr

« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2021, 08:43 AM »
I agree on the flatheads. I would trade a walleye in a second for a flathead and yes the right eating size is the challenge.

lovetfish

« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2021, 09:38 AM »
Public announcement concerning Salamonie Lake Tailwaters. Beginning yesterday, Thursday, March 4, 2021:
Salamonie Lake, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Chicago District
t17hraSgponsorged  ·
**CLOSED FOR CONSTRUCTION**
From today until further notice, the Salamonie Lake Tailwater Recreation Area will be closed for construction work on the Outlet Retreat Channel (Tailwater) to ensure public safety while the contractors are performing the improvements.
The closure includes shelter areas and restrooms, and access to the Tailwater from Hominy Ridge. Also, there will be no fishing in the Tailwater. #USACEChicago #SalamonieLake
For more information, go to https://www.lrc.usace.army.mil/.../salamonie-lake..

bherr24

« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2021, 07:01 PM »
Fished missy today for first time this year. Kept 22 and threw back probably 30 or more. Water was muddy and the fish were shallow up near the banks. I fished closer to the dam and was the only person there but i heard red bridge area was good as well.

bigr

« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2021, 05:23 AM »
I fished the 550 area also yesterday and did well. Thru out a couple cat poles while jigging and caught a couple with several bites. Should only get better as week goes on. Water was a very good color up in that area. Cut bait for the cats.

bigr

« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2021, 08:51 AM »
Catfishing is picking up about anywhere you want to cast a line. Had trouble fishing two poles yesterday evening. Cut bait is what I used. Probable better stuff out there but it's free and easy. Take a casting pole for the crappie while waiting for a cat bite. I couldn't use it yesterday but that's how I get my cut bait. If a fresh dead shad drift to shore use it they are the best. Crappie bite has been pretty good this week from watching and talking to others around me. Lets hope we don't get a lot of rain. Both Sally and Missy are back to winter pool and water is clearing nicely, cats don't care but crappie is better as clarity improves. Cooler weather shouldn't effect the bite much now. If we continue to get warmer weather the crappie will start moving upstream into the river soon along with white bass. That's when it gets real good and also very easy.

bigr

« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2021, 08:55 AM »
Not sure of the exact dates the Corp starts holding water back to bring levels back to summer pool but that likely will begin by 1st of april and summer pool made by 15th of May. A slow rise is always best that's why I always hope for dry weather for the next month or so. 

bigr

« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2021, 05:43 AM »
Wish I could but I don't know how. I've tried in the past and it's beyond my skills. What I'm doing now is as far as it goes for me.

techja

« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2021, 09:49 AM »
Does anyone have an idea on how long the crappie bite will last at missy? Will the water temps or lake levels determine  the bite? I saw a small white car with “fish on” written on the back window at Redbridge parking area, was this someone from this forum? Do members ever get together to fish?

bigr

« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2021, 11:13 AM »
Best bite of the year is just beginning, rain or shine. You'll need to be mobile and follow migration of fish. With this rain the red bridge area will be done for a while but locations closer to the dam or further upstream in river will produce fish. Water color depending on depth and area your fishing won't make much difference. I see your from Marion. If water goes real high you won't have to travel far. Normally this time of year the majority of the fish move up stream and sometimes as far as the Dam in Marion. I love the chase up and down river finding those small remote slack areas holding fish. Great exercise and usually have the spots to myself until water levels change and fish move to new locations. Also in just a few weeks the white bass will start their run up river and they are a blast to catch and are decent table fare when clean proper. The bite will last til sometime late may early June. If your in to cats right now is I believe the easiest and best time for them. Cut bait on bottom and hold on. 

Big Buck

« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2021, 02:22 PM »
As usual BigR right on point great post...the Missy lake side bite has been good for a few weeks...after this rain I'm hoping the river bite gets going...easy Pickens!!!!

techja

« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2021, 08:12 PM »
Has anyone been able to catch any fish with the high water? Hopefully the warm weather and steady barometric pressure will help turn things around.

bherr24

« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2021, 11:06 PM »
I havent been over there since the rain but heard its up and muddy. I would think upriver will be good for crappie as soon as the levels drop and it clears up. I have all this week off so hopefully it clears soon...if not i may take my boy over and try for some cats instead.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.