FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Panfish Maniacs !!!!!  (Read 286525 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Panfish Maniacs !!!!!
« Reply #1710 on: Jul 27, 2020, 04:40 AM »
when herb phillips  was in oswego  ( i liked that store ) i  got a  great deal on panther martins and  got a bunch of differnt sizes.....  trout love  them  but so  do big blue gills ! just  wondering what other  lures  do  you folks  toss  for  the  famous panfish
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #1711 on: Jul 27, 2020, 07:48 AM »
when herb phillips  was in oswego  ( i liked that store ) i  got a  great deal on panther martins and  got a bunch of differnt sizes.....  trout love  them  but so  do big blue gills ! just  wondering what other  lures  do  you folks  toss  for  the  famous panfish
I like and pour my own "RoadRunner" style jigs.  Versatile fish finders and will catch anything that swims.

Took my buddy and wife to catch a mess of gills this past week.  She likes to vertically jig for whatever will bite with a 24" Ice Blue rod and spring bobber.  Located gills suspended 20 ft. down over 30 fow and told her to drop her jig, count to 18 and start jigging.  We filled their little cooler with 3 dozen nice gills in a few hours.  Released many more gills, a few perch, and a dozen nice crappies 10" to 13" whose lucky day it was.  They don't care for crappie and I wasn't keeping any that day.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1712 on: Jul 27, 2020, 07:52 AM »
Small rooster tails work very well for me in my backyard stream and on the canal.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1713 on: Jul 27, 2020, 05:42 PM »
I like and pour my own "RoadRunner" style jigs.  Versatile fish finders and will catch anything that swims.

Took my buddy and wife to catch a mess of gills this past week.  She likes to vertically jig for whatever will bite with a 24" Ice Blue rod and spring bobber.  Located gills suspended 20 ft. down over 30 fow and told her to drop her jig, count to 18 and start jigging.  We filled their little cooler with 3 dozen nice gills in a few hours.  Released many more gills, a few perch, and a dozen nice crappies 10" to 13" whose lucky day it was.  They don't care for crappie and I wasn't keeping any that day.

i rather  have   gills  then  crappies  myself  but thats  me  ...sounds  like a great day  ....i  fish  roaster tails  and  everything  takes  them  small mouths  love  them  too
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #1714 on: Jul 27, 2020, 07:06 PM »
I'm a fan of the small spinners as well.  Tend to put a single hook on them rather than the treble.  Picked up a box of stuff at an estate sale with components for CP Swing style spinners.  Cast them a mile and fish any water depth.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #1715 on: Jul 29, 2020, 05:11 PM »
Different water, same pattern, yesterday.  Struggled to find decent gills in along the weeds but moved over deeper water and marked fish stacked on what must be the thermocline.  Swung ice jigs to them on short casts and they were gills stacked 15 to 20 feet deep over 40 fow.  Bellies full of nasty muck.  Guessing they're hanging in the cooler water and feeding on plankton, etc. suspended in the thermocline?

Pequod1

« Reply #1716 on: Aug 13, 2020, 05:03 AM »
I’ve been on a mission the last two weeks forgoing the long trips to Erie for some shorter trips to the fingers for panfish.  This time of year is tough but I’m a stubborn old fart and can’t take a hint. All of the lakes I hit were pretty good in the spring until late July so I know they have fish in them.
First trip was south end Canandaigua. Fished the south end for a couple hrs.  Only tiny bass and tiny rockbass.
Next Cayuga.  Just a couple tiny perch and I tried all my usual haunts. 
Yesterday was Keuka. I fished the east side of the bluff. Just a couple descent size Rockies a couple nice sunfish, a pickerel and no perch. Tried for  lakers and could not mark any. I’ve been disappointed in the perch population here. Seems the only place you can find them is in the belly of a laker!
The “ gem” find of the summer is Owasco.  I have been able to catch as many perch as I want along with a few huge sunfish.  I thought I had a winner in this lake until I read the mercury contamination warning posted last April by the DEC. This years fishing guide does not highlight the mercury there so I have no clue what the true story is
I have not been to Skinny yet. I might hit it soon.  It should be good for action but bad for size as always.
Almost forgot one. I even tried Cuba lake in the southern tier.  Good ice fishing, not so good open water.  Only one Crappie for the 180 mile roundtrip. 

OneBucketMike

• OneBucketMike
« Reply #1717 on: Aug 13, 2020, 07:25 PM »
I’ve been on a mission the last two weeks forgoing the long trips to Erie for some shorter trips to the fingers for panfish.  This time of year is tough but I’m a stubborn old fart and can’t take a hint. All of the lakes I hit were pretty good in the spring until late July so I know they have fish in them.
First trip was south end Canandaigua. Fished the south end for a couple hrs.  Only tiny bass and tiny rockbass.
Next Cayuga.  Just a couple tiny perch and I tried all my usual haunts. 
Yesterday was Keuka. I fished the east side of the bluff. Just a couple descent size Rockies a couple nice sunfish, a pickerel and no perch. Tried for  lakers and could not mark any. I’ve been disappointed in the perch population here. Seems the only place you can find them is in the belly of a laker!
The “ gem” find of the summer is Owasco.  I have been able to catch as many perch as I want along with a few huge sunfish.  I thought I had a winner in this lake until I read the mercury contamination warning posted last April by the DEC. This years fishing guide does not highlight the mercury there so I have no clue what the true story is
I have not been to Skinny yet. I might hit it soon.  It should be good for action but bad for size as always.
Almost forgot one. I even tried Cuba lake in the southern tier.  Good ice fishing, not so good open water.  Only one Crappie for the 180 mile roundtrip.

Those deeper Finger Lakes are tough when those panfish go deep to feed. Would think Conesus/Honeoye might have better structure and less depth to try and find them? Good luck.
One Bucket Mike

Pequod1

« Reply #1718 on: Aug 14, 2020, 02:40 PM »
Found them today..  Took a gamble and drove 3/4 of the way down Owasco.  Landed right on a big school along the drop in 30’.  Had to use crabs on a drop shot to get them going.  I didn’t keep any so they are still there.

gotagetm

« Reply #1719 on: Aug 14, 2020, 04:31 PM »
Nice job Jim , surgery next week won't be fishing or working for 2 months

DANMAN

« Reply #1720 on: Aug 14, 2020, 06:22 PM »
Found them today..  Took a gamble and drove 3/4 of the way down Owasco.  Landed right on a big school along the drop in 30’.  Had to use crabs on a drop shot to get them going.  I didn’t keep any so they are still there.

crayfish?   for gills ?

Pequod1

« Reply #1721 on: Aug 15, 2020, 04:55 AM »
Tiny crayfish work for gills too but I had worms, spikes and plastics rigged on three different rods. The number one rug yesterday was crayfish followed closely by plastic.
Last week I caught my one and only Crappie in Cuba lake on a crayfish. I thought that was odd.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #1722 on: Aug 21, 2020, 07:54 PM »
Had a good morning with a friend and his wife.  Couldn't find anything they wouldn't bite.  A couple 10 1/4" and a few over 9"s.  Had all we wanted to keep by 0930, C&R'd till 1100, home in time for lunch and a nap. 

filetandrelease

« Reply #1723 on: Aug 22, 2020, 05:39 AM »

Good eats right there 10.25” that’s good one

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1724 on: Aug 22, 2020, 06:41 AM »
Had a good morning with a friend and his wife.  Couldn't find anything they wouldn't bite.  A couple 10 1/4" and a few over 9"s.  Had all we wanted to keep by 0930, C&R'd till 1100, home in time for lunch and a nap. 

Nice! Trolling?

Ive been using the little worm harnesses slow trolling on the canal. The bigger perch love them. Only snagged one rig in many days of fishing. One day I drifted right down the middle trailing the harness and caught just about everything there is in the canal. Perch, gills, bass even a pike.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.