FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ticks 😡  (Read 6285 times)

filetandrelease

Ticks 😡
« on: Aug 07, 2018, 07:23 AM »

Just got done reading about the Asian long horned tick , another really unpleasant creature

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Ticks 😡
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2018, 07:33 AM »
Freddie  be careful near  some of our  trout  holes  I  had two ticks on me  when I came out .....I just sprayed  all my fishing  cloths  with permethrin  and put a  fresh pump bottle of off in my fishing vest and  bag....I  got  a  tick removeal card  from wal mart too  like  3 bucks 

you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

filetandrelease

« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2018, 07:40 AM »
 I’ll pick up some up , bud , I need a trip to runnings for a few spoons

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2018, 08:10 AM »
Yeah the tics are out of hand, I pulled one off my leg last week. Our dog has Lyme disease. She had the liquid medicine you put on her back, well she swims everyday in our pond when it's hot out. The Vet says, "you can't let her swim, it'll wash the meds off". She got the antibiotics, and now takes the oral med for tics. You can't keep that dog out of the water. Just a heads up for dog owners.
Last winter a friend of mine went out grouse hunting after a snow storm. He hiked a big loop way up the hill, got home and did the check. Yup 3 tics, walking in deep snow. Relentless bugs.... >:(

filetandrelease

Re: Ticks 😡 Asian long horn
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2018, 08:52 AM »
They are a tough customer
The ASIAN LONG HORNED TICK is heading our way ,

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2018, 09:20 AM »
NO CURE for lyme just control to a degree if you get it in time.
 :'( :'( :'(
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

mudchuck

« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2018, 01:42 PM »
Yeah the tics are out of hand, I pulled one off my leg last week. Our dog has Lyme disease. She had the liquid medicine you put on her back, well she swims everyday in our pond when it's hot out. The Vet says, "you can't let her swim, it'll wash the meds off". She got the antibiotics, and now takes the oral med for tics. You can't keep that dog out of the water. Just a heads up for dog owners.
Last winter a friend of mine went out grouse hunting after a snow storm. He hiked a big loop way up the hill, got home and did the check. Yup 3 tics, walking in deep snow. Relentless bugs.... >:(

INDEED! I lost a purebred black lab to kidney failure from Lyme 9 years ago, nasty stuff. She was only 4 and She loved to swim too and we always were treating her with topical and switched to an oral med and she still got it. Right up to the very end, she went blind when her kidneys were failing but still could smell the pond and went right for it and the next day we had to put her down, really glad she was able to get one last dip in since she enjoyed it so much...it meant a lot to me seeing her have that one last good time.
Now have an 11 year old yellow lab/Weimaraner mix and you cannot keep him out of the water...so far the oral meds are working and being overly diligent with keeping the yard and area around the duck pond in check by knocking down tall grass/weeds/shrubs has kept the ticks at bay, at least close to the living quarters...up on the mountain I hunt is another story...last 3 archery seasons here in VT I've had anywhere from 8-26 ticks on my cloths at one time or another while going to/from the hunting grounds/stand with some managing to get under my top layer of clothes, luckily none dug in. Kinda freaky when you sit down for a spell and take off your jacket to find dozens of them little buggers crawling all over the inside of the jacket!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Aug 07, 2018, 01:57 PM »
Can anyone pinpoint what type of brush or trees ticks prefer? Or are they just everywhere?
Wicked Wec

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Aug 07, 2018, 02:01 PM »
Can anyone pinpoint what type of brush or trees ticks prefer? Or are they just everywhere?

Trees , brush , tall grass , iow grass , leaf litter , there everywhere.. .     :P
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

trapper2000

« Reply #9 on: Aug 07, 2018, 05:19 PM »
If diagnosed in the early stages, Lyme disease can be cured with antibiotics. Without treatment, complications involving the joints, heart, and nervous system can occur. But these symptoms are still treatable and curable.Jan 31, 2018

you can  google  this  your  self    also

Early treatment is a simple 14 to 21 day course of oral antibiotics to eliminate all traces of infection. Medications used to treat Lyme disease include: doxycycline for adults and children older than 8 years old. cefuroxime and amoxicillin for adults, younger children, and women who are nursing or breastfeeding

if  you  find a  tick on  you  withing  72  hours  2  doxycycline  tablets    taken  stops  the  disease  from  taking hold

you can google  all of this  and talk to your  doctore  everyone  should   have a  good knowledge of  this  you  can't  be a outdoorsman and  not have a  experience  with ticks  sooner or later ...be  informed and  perpared

:flag:

trapper2000

« Reply #10 on: Aug 07, 2018, 05:28 PM »
I just read about the Asian long horned tick ,already here in  new  York  ...this  guy carries all  kinds of  bad  things  even  to live  stock ...he  doesn't  stand  for the national  anthem either!!!!!

:flag:

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #11 on: Aug 07, 2018, 05:35 PM »
  Trees , brush , tall grass , iow grass , leaf litter , there everywhere.. .     :P

x2. Everywhere there’s brush. They don’t fly, but they jump on you when you rub against any high grass, shrub or branch

jperch

« Reply #12 on: Aug 07, 2018, 05:51 PM »
As a kid I don't think I ever saw a tick, now they are common.  I especially worry about them during turkey season, the very tiny ones are out in force then.  It has been said before, use permethrin on your clothes, it works and is cheap.  In addition during turkey season I wear tight, light weight polypropylene thermal underwear and a tight fitting baclava to protect my neck and head.  When I get home the outer clothes are taken off in the garage and I hit the shower.  No ticks.  Then in June I was playing fetch the stick with the dog on the lawn and got bit.  They like grass.  Now I spray my street shoes with permethrin too.  Permethrin, when liquid, can be fatal for cats.  Supposedly it's ok for them once it has dried.       jperch

trapper2000

« Reply #13 on: Aug 08, 2018, 04:30 AM »
I found this interesting

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/blogs/long-island-deploys-bobwhite-quail-army-fight-ticks

I understand guinea hens and chickens   left running around your yard  help with tick control as well

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #14 on: Aug 08, 2018, 07:06 AM »
Bobwhites are a great idea; however,  they are regulated in the Great State of New York and a license is required to raise them legally. Whether a class A or B license depending on your intentions, this includes a fee, record keeping, and annual reports to DEC.  Nothing is as simple as it seems.   >:(
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.