MFF US Northeast > Maine

livewell system

(1/3) > >>

StriperMaineac:
I'm looking to make a better livewell system to keep mackeral alive for live lineing..you guys have any ideas? ???

bluefinforme:
I prefer commercial grade bait tanks but if you are looking to build a CHEAP live well that works great too,  try:

1)Get a 15-30 gallon trash can (plastic) MAKE SURE THE CAN IS COMPLETLEY ROUND>>>>NO CORNERS!! This is the most important feature of your well!  If it is square (like a cooler) or has corners, the mackerel will kill themselves by running into the sides.  If it is round, they swim freely and live all day long!

2)You need bubbles or a flow-thru design.  Especially with mackeral....if you get a "air pump" "FISH SAVER" works great in Saltwater and is 25 bucks at Boater's World.  Or a "SUPER SAVER" 12 volt pump for 40 bucks.   

3) WRAP THE PUMP IN A PANTY HOSE SOCK IF THERE IS NO FILTER!!  Mackerel/Herring scales will ruin a pump in an hour if you don't have a filter!

4) keep water cold with SEVERAL BLOCKS OF ICE (2-3)   This way you don't have to change the water much at all.  If you don't use ice---switch 75% of the water every 45 minutes or your bait will die!

5)Attach pump with screws or suction and your off!

6)DON"T PUT TOO MANY IN!!!  try not to cram the well full as O2 levels will be non-existant

**for 300 bucks you can get an awesome livewell...go to :
http://www.castnetworld.com/livebaitwells.html?source=overture

trust me......this is the only way to go!!  its' worth the $

StriperMaineac:
Thanks for your help...........I think the round tank issue was my problem..I always used a cooler..thanks again

bluefinforme:

--- Quote from: StriperMaineac on Apr 05, 2004, 07:08 PM ---Thanks for your help...........I think the round tank issue was my problem..I always used a cooler..thanks again

--- End quote ---
make sure you use blocks of ice too ;)

loveice:
the fresh water fromthe melting ice wont mess up the mack.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version