FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 559563 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #3435 on: Apr 30, 2017, 05:33 PM »
If they last for you Trapper. They're bombproof!

You, my friend, have a lifetime supply  ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

MattyP123

« Reply #3436 on: Apr 30, 2017, 08:09 PM »
Thanks trap and oatkasut.
If they last for you Trapper. They're bombproof!

Rg
I still use the ones you sent me Rg. Picked a couple up from  online retailers as well because I liked them. Other than the writing on the plastic bag no one  could tell the difference between them :thumbup_smilie:. Only use mono leader if chucking a lot of weight.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3437 on: May 01, 2017, 03:56 AM »
I make my own furled leaders. Not hard really. I haven't used a tied or tapered store bought in more years than I remember. There's so many options with furled leaders. Length, weight, rate of taper, color......it's limitless. Takes me about 5 minutes to furl a leader to whatever spec I want. Coat with payette and they float. Leave untreated and they sink.

I keep 2 Loop tippet dispensers with sizes from 8x to 0x in my vest and a variety of furled leaders. I can change in a matter of a couple minutes.

In my book, they turn a fly over like no tied or tapered mono leader can. Top that with the fact that they last virtually forever and they win in my opinion.

Rg

You make them as described here? I may have to try it.

http://midcurrent.com/knots/a-case-for-the-furled-leader/

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #3438 on: May 01, 2017, 01:15 PM »

You make them as described here? I may habe ti try it.

I know nothing about fly fishing but you old f--ts are sucking me back in.  Never heard of furled leaders but I've always been one of the best at twisting monofilament into knots.  Figured how hard can it be.  Actually whipped up two in less than an hour using 4lb. Vanish fluorocarbon using this video............  Wanted something to sink for some big 'gills and crappies. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVaEe3RIs
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3439 on: May 01, 2017, 05:34 PM »

You make them as described here? I may habe ti try it.

Kind of like that. I've been making them so long now, I don't really remember where I found the original layout. The system I use is probably unlike others. I've seen some pretty complicated operations depicted. I've threatened to make a video for quite a while.

My jig is 96" long with machined aluminum posts on a folding poplar board. A good friend of mine made the posts for me. The board is laid out for 36, 48, 60 and 72" leaders. Post positions are labeled for the various sizes. I've never seen a need for longer.

I work from a single hook at one end and wrap each side. The thread counts can be reversed if the leader taper calls for a longer or shorter butt section. Each side is twisted in the same direction then transferred to a hold point that is approximately 25% of the original length before twisting. Counting or timing based on the rpm of the drill is not as accurate and a reduction percentage.

After both segments are twisted in the same direction, they are both transferred to a single hook in the drill and twisted together in a reverse direction. As they're reverse twisted, the leader relaxes to its ultimate length. The furling is complete when it feels that the leader is beginning to shorten. The butt end receives a 2 - 3.5mm round or oval ring or a micro swivel. It's attached using a sailor's hitch with the "Nitpick". At least that's e way I do it.

The little accessories I use are just invention by necessity.

Mono furled leaders are ok I guess. I could see them for salt water fishing. But for delicate to heavy fly presentations, uni-thread are hard to beat. Too much memory in mono for my liking.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #3440 on: May 04, 2017, 07:52 AM »
Got to practice casting into a stiff headwind.  Caught a few dozen of these.  Great fun but give me 'gills..............

MattyP123

« Reply #3441 on: May 04, 2017, 08:01 PM »
Got to practice casting into a stiff headwind.  Caught a few dozen of these.  Great fun but give me 'gills..............
Well done! I've only been fly fishing 2-3 years and focus mainly on trout, BUT there's only one fish that makes me giggle like a kid farting in a bathtub .. GILS on a foam fly  :laugh:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3442 on: May 05, 2017, 03:27 AM »
Gills, Rockies, smallmouth, crappies.......all great fun on the fly.

But......we need to get you into some carp Matt.  :w00t: they're a hoot!

Rg

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3443 on: May 05, 2017, 06:33 AM »
I've had my furl leader on for almost 3 yrs and that was sent from rg he makes some good ones...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3444 on: May 05, 2017, 06:56 AM »
That's the problem with selling them bigguy. They hardly ever wear out ;D

Rg

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #3445 on: May 05, 2017, 09:22 AM »
I ordered one from Quigley's.  I learned long ago to pay attention to my elders.............. :D

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3446 on: May 05, 2017, 12:38 PM »
carp are the bomb man   :rotflol:  and  RG has a good recipe for them !!!
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3447 on: May 05, 2017, 02:35 PM »
I'm anxiously waiting for the Canal to rise just one more foot.........then it's game on ;D

Don't know if I'll get a break in the weather to uncover the boat, but I'm hoping.

Rg

MattyP123

« Reply #3448 on: May 05, 2017, 05:31 PM »
Gills, Rockies, smallmouth, crappies.......all great fun on the fly.

But......we need to get you into some carp Matt.  :w00t: they're a hoot!

Rg
Just burned some cash on some dry fly necks, next will be an 8 wt.  :flex: rig for lake runs/carp

lowaccord66

« Reply #3449 on: May 05, 2017, 08:28 PM »
Carp sound fun!  Albies are my next fly rod target....can't wait!  Thats a species where these furled leaders would help alot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.