FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 625838 times)

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3315 on: Mar 21, 2018, 05:30 PM »
Thanks, guys!   I see fishing weather next week.  On to Copper Johns I think.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3316 on: Mar 21, 2018, 05:49 PM »
Looks good everyone, but here's my tip.

Shorten the tails guys. Too long. Shouldn't be more than 1/3 the total length or about equal to the hook gape. You'll get a lot of short strikes with those longer tails.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3317 on: Mar 21, 2018, 07:41 PM »
Swamp rat like your tie you can get a line on it cause you can see the hook eye!!

Thanks!

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3318 on: Mar 21, 2018, 07:45 PM »
Looks good everyone, but here's my tip.

Shorten the tails guys. Too long. Shouldn't be more than 1/3 the total length or about equal to the hook gape. You'll get a lot of short strikes with those longer tails.

Rg

Thanks for the tip rg, didn't think about the short strikes I just thought the tail measurement was aesthetic. I'm glad they're not too short lol they can be trimmed ;)

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3319 on: Mar 22, 2018, 11:11 PM »
I tried to make short tails on my mop flies once for some reason the fish didn't like them .on my nymphs I make them short sometimes to short I think but they still work pretty good.i like seeing everyone's ties always different ..one thing I learned I tie fly's  to catch fish not fisherman..😁..I've tied the goofiest  flies and they work..but thanks for the tip rg I always have a hard time with a nymph tail ..never sure how many feathers to use ..5 or 8 or 3 that I could  use help on

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3320 on: Mar 23, 2018, 03:21 AM »
Sparse is usually better in my opinion. In nature, aquatic nymphs have little or no tail but rather a few short caudal filaments. The Mayfly nymph normally has 3 distinct filaments sometimes as long as it's entire body. So, a big clump of stuff on the rear end of a nymph isn't too natural looking. Scuds have 3 pairs of separated uropods. So a few fibers in a bunch would look pretty normal. But again, the general shape and getting the fly down to the bottom where it would be found by a fish is much more important than whether it has 6 or 12 fibers for a tail. I've caught fish on red, yellow, blue, green and brown scuds. Color doesn't seem to make much difference most days.

These are fish. They eat stuff that swims by or gets in their path. For me it's always been, location.....presentation........offering. What fly you toss and how perfect an imitation it might be isn't nearly as important as where and How you present it.

One caveat.....I'm not a trout fisherman.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3321 on: Mar 23, 2018, 06:55 AM »
Thanks rg.thats what I was thinking all in all ..all bugs are different by mother nature I use wire on some of my nymphs and some I don't..I also like using hi vis dubbing for the bodies on some of my nymphs I guess when a bug is going 20 miles an hour down the creek the trout don't really study it they eat it😁😁

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3322 on: Mar 23, 2018, 02:29 PM »
Tied some of these, freestyle....my interpretation of a caddis nymph. The middle color is greener, just doesn't show in the photo. Size 16

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3323 on: Mar 23, 2018, 06:03 PM »

.....a few of my nymphs

boondox

« Reply #3324 on: Mar 23, 2018, 06:26 PM »
Tied some of these, freestyle....my interpretation of a caddis nymph. The middle color is greener, just doesn't show in the photo. Size16

Got any chartruse green thread and fine sliver wire?? I tie with peacock heral down to 18...  smaller then that I just take a black sharpie to the thread to change color old school technique..  remember all nymphs use the 3 thirds method two thirds for the tail or abdomen  and one third for the wing case segment ..  I think my dry tail are shank lenght and my nymph tail are gape to gape and a half max.. sorry been a while since I did a lot of tieing  and beards are to the hook poit or 1/3 some times depending on fly?? Very nice tie none the the swamp rat .. takes a lot of patience to tie small ..

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #3325 on: Mar 23, 2018, 07:47 PM »
Nice tie, boon.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

boondox

« Reply #3326 on: Mar 23, 2018, 07:52 PM »
Nice tie, boon.   ;D

Sorry not mine I just quoted swamp rat and his picture he had appeared..  I will delete the picture so no one is confused..

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #3327 on: Mar 23, 2018, 07:54 PM »
No. My confusion. I was at at a microbrewery for dinner!  ;D
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #3328 on: Mar 23, 2018, 09:12 PM »
Went with bluegill bugs today, still hoping for spring.......

Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #3329 on: Mar 23, 2018, 09:21 PM »
If I couldn't catch a fish on that stonefly, I can't fish!  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.