FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hemlock Lake trout  (Read 13063 times)

bhall

Hemlock Lake trout
« on: May 17, 2005, 09:26 AM »
Anyone have experience with catching trout in Hemlock lake? The surface water temp is currently 52 degrees, so I would think the trout would still be very shallow. I have been trolling stick baits in 10-15 ft of water, but only hooking pickeral and smallmouth. Is is better to fish with live bait? I have yet to catch a trout in this lake. I do have portable downriggers if needed, however, I would not think this should be neccessary given the very cold water temps.
thanks,
Burr

Dr. IceGeek

Re: Hemlock Lake trout
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 09:39 AM »
Bhall,
   I fished hemlock last week and caught quite a few fish on top.  Early in the morning trolled in as shallow as 8 fow with stickbaits.  Indeed I caught a few bass and pickeral, but I also ended up with 3 browns, 2 rainbows, and 4 lakers.  I was using smaller rapalas (F7's I think) and thunderstick Jrs.  Silver/black, silver/blue, silver/chart .   All colors produced.  Trolled between 1.8 and 2.1 mph mostly on the east side of the lake.  Picked a couple of the fish up out over 25 fow, but still on top.  Make sure you have at least 150 feet of line out as sometimes the trout can get spooky in the shallow water.  I also used a 6 lb. test leader as the water is very clear.  That's all I can really tell ya.  Hope this helps

bhall

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 01:04 PM »

Thank you very much for the information, I certainly appreciate it. I think I am going to try again this Saturday.

Bhall,

I fished hemlock last week and caught quite a few fish on top.  Early in the morning trolled in as shallow as 8 fow with stickbaits.  Indeed I caught a few bass and pickeral, but I also ended up with 3 browns, 2 rainbows, and 4 lakers.  I was using smaller rapalas (F7's I think) and thunderstick Jrs.  Silver/black, silver/blue, silver/chart .   All colors produced.  Trolled between 1.8 and 2.1 mph mostly on the east side of the lake.  Picked a couple of the fish up out over 25 fow, but still on top.  Make sure you have at least 150 feet of line out as sometimes the trout can get spooky in the shallow water.  I also used a 6 lb. test leader as the water is very clear.  That's all I can really tell ya.  Hope this helps

FarginIcehole

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 09:51 AM »
i will be on hemlock on saturday morning to watch the sun come up,and maybe catch a few fish too. i will post a report on saturday night. would love to hear some more chatter on the supposed walley population in this lake too. i have never caught one hear but i hear they are scattered in there.  Fargin

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 03:37 PM »
Fargin,
  I know of a few (walleyes) that have been caught, and they were all really nice healthy fish....I am fishing either Hemlock or Canadice this weekend, probably Sunday, but let me know how you do Saturday.  I had good luck on Hemlock last week trolling stickbaits on top so more than likely I will head there again. 

FarginIcehole

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 08:48 AM »
hey ice geek, they are still looking for the guy who drowned in the lake. i will assume hemlock will be closed to fishing for a while. i suppose i will fish canadice for the 1st time ever. Fargin

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 11:55 AM »
Fargin,
   I didn't even know anyone drowned until my grandmother told me yesterday....I live in Buffalo now so I don't hear much news from down that way.  I was thinking the same thing though and I may try Canadice Sunday.  For me the west side has always produced more trout, but I don't think my catch rate is as high as on Hemlock.   Let me know how you do On Canadice if you go.  I more than ikely will be outthere early Sunday morning

Shawner

• I'm goin' fishin'
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 10:37 AM »

Heard about the fellow fisherman that drowned. Thats a real shame, and my heart goes out to the family. Don't know the details except he was from Warsaw and was out alone.

Theres a creel survey going on at Hemlock right now by the DEC. So if you go, the agent may approach and ask if you want to take the survey down at the boat launch. Just looking for info about targeting species and succes rates, sizes and numbers being taken. They want to determine wether or not to allow stocking of walleys by a local Fish/Game club that's applied for a permit to do so. They allowed it some years back, and thought they had only minimal success. The game club ran out of money or enthusiasm I'm not sure or just didn't re-apply until recently. Before they go ahead and allow the stocking they want to see if it's feasable and that the success of a walleye stocking won't affect the trout and salmon population because they stock Hemlock already with so mant trout/salmon that that's what Hemlock is known for(besides the eagles and the water supply for Rochester). Before they put a survey together they netted down at the Springwater Creek and pulled in a couple sizable walleye, and were suprized at the size and great health of them. Now thinking that the previous, relatively small stocking that took place before could produce these resaults, they better make sure stocking on a larger scale won't effect the current populations of fish and that people do want to target Walleye's there. There used to be a natural population of walleye there, but it crashed in the late 40's early 50's and the DEC only speculates why, that's when they started stocking trout/salmon in big numbers. ;)

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 07:45 PM »
shawner,
  They approached me today except I was fishing Canadice.....they asked me all the standard questions.  I'm glad to see that they are considering the anglers input.

FarginIcehole

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 06:47 AM »
we loaded up 2 boats at noon on saturday and he didnt even get out of the truck??? 12 must have been his quittin time.  Fargin

Shawner

• I'm goin' fishin'
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 11:35 AM »

Yeah Dr., I failed to mention that Canadice is part of the same contract survey( both lakes at the same time, only one agent). Will go on for about a year if the state decides to continue funding it. I agree that its nice for the state to go right to the best source, honest fishermen/women who frequent both lakes. They survey Lake Erie/Ontario in a similar fashion. If the state deems the survey of Hemlock/Canadice a success, there's talk of them doing the other Finger Lakes. Good stuff!

FarginIcehole

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 06:18 AM »
fished saturday morning and it was nuts.one thing is for sure,just like lake ontario, the bite is early morning!! we actually caught most of our fish in 8 feet of water very early,between 615 am and 8 am, after that it was a few fish here and there. ended up with a limit of browns that ended up butterflied on the grill.what a great way to cook a trout!! you guys ever tried this ??? the absolute best part of the day is that after 9 years of marriage i finally got my wife some big fish. you see she likes to fish when it is sunny and 85 degrees,sunfish weather. her first fish was a 23 inch pickeral followed up by some browns.she was not happy about getting up at 4am but she is now. saw a bald eagle up close take a fish off the surface and took the angler poll from the dec officer. thinking about hitting the lake tuesday afternoon till dark.    Fargin

FarginIcehole

« Reply #12 on: Jun 14, 2005, 01:26 PM »
anyone been to the lake to wet a line lately??? i will be down there on saturday very early to chase trout and maybe a few bass. ICEGEEK, been to canadice lately??? if i hear no replies i will post a report. Fargin

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #13 on: Jun 15, 2005, 12:26 PM »
haven't been over there in quite some time.  Let us know how you do

FarginIcehole

« Reply #14 on: Jun 21, 2005, 08:52 AM »
slow,slow,slow!!!!!!!!! 2 browns caught in 5 hours. enormous schools of sawbellies just cruising under the surface. fish are too well fed this time of year.  Fargin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.