FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Float trip on the Wabash  (Read 7573 times)

bigr

Re: Float trip on the Wabash
« Reply #30 on: Sep 18, 2017, 11:22 AM »
With the river as low as it is the fish don't move up and down as much to replenish the holes. If you've caught several over the past couple weeks you've probable caught the easy ones and majority so you should expect a slow down. Give that hole a break and search out fresh portions with similar features. Your numbers will remain high and you'll add new sections to fish next season. You'll likely get your Indiana limit several times a year and run into those 30 40 fish trips. I would say I have 10 to 15 go to locations from upstream from the Wabash and sally connections all the way to Logansport. I always start upstream early and by now i'll be as far downstream as I know then start my way back up as the river cools and discharge from dams brings fish back upstream for the fall bite. My biggest problem is choosing what water or species I want to chase this time of year. A good problem to have.

bherr24

« Reply #31 on: Sep 18, 2017, 09:07 PM »
I thought about that too, i have another location that i want to look at maybe this weekend upstream a ways from where i have been fishing.  Im not sure on the depth or bottom structure of the hole but has a big set of ripples leading up to it.  I had an hour to spend this afternoon around 4pm so i drove by the river and the bank was empty so i fished from 4 to 5 and caught 3 more saugers from 15 to 18 inches. If my math is correct we have caught probably close to 15 saugers and 5 or 6 legal walleye in the last week out of this hole which is probably only 20 yards long.

bigr

« Reply #32 on: Sep 19, 2017, 05:15 AM »
I would call that a honey hole.

Spooled85

« Reply #33 on: Sep 19, 2017, 06:25 AM »

X's 2 !!

bherr24

« Reply #34 on: Sep 20, 2017, 02:54 PM »

It's been good to me recently, and i found it while catfishing lol.  I'm concerned though that this heat wave is about to put the brakes on the good fishing.  Might have to start fishing after dark.

bigr

« Reply #35 on: Sep 21, 2017, 05:05 AM »
River is up atleast two feet over night. I thinking it was from the rain upstream but they may have started the fall draw down for the roush. Watch the corp site for updates.

bherr24

« Reply #36 on: Sep 21, 2017, 11:39 AM »
Interesting. Looks like they may have started Roush as it dropped 4 inches below pool since yesterday.  I fished a little yesterday and thought the river seemed up a bit, but not much. I caught one 14 inch walleye, only bite i had. Water is still on the rise here according to the graph i just checked. This rise in water may be exactly what i needed as i usually do real well here when the drawdowns start. Now if we could just do something about these ridiculous temps. Im ready for the low 60s again, looks like not until next week into early october though.

bherr24

« Reply #37 on: Sep 23, 2017, 11:21 PM »
Bite has died this week with the hottest temps of the year. The water was as warm as bath water this evening. I could only fish for a half hour this evening before i quit, i was dripping with sweat. The channel catfish aren't even biting now. My son had a pole out with liver and not one bite. He was hammering them 2 weeks ago. Last 2 trips i have not had one bite, i even fished well after dark thursday night.  I walked over to the eel side of the river and by comparison that water was much cooler then the wabash, as is typically the case. But there simply isnt enough water in the eel right now to make fishing much good. Cooler weather coming next weekend.

indianahooker

« Reply #38 on: Sep 24, 2017, 06:36 PM »
sounds like the wabash is the new walleye capital of indiana on this tread. lol  keep up the good work and post some pics for us that cant get there.

bherr24

« Reply #39 on: Sep 25, 2017, 11:39 AM »
sounds like the wabash is the new walleye capital of indiana on this tread. lol  keep up the good work and post some pics for us that cant get there.

Here are some pics from 2 weekends ago, this was 3 different trips.  Saturday evening, sunday morning and then one hour of fishing on monday afternoon.

Spooled85

« Reply #40 on: Sep 25, 2017, 11:58 AM »
Here are some pics from 2 weekends ago, this was 3 different trips.  Saturday evening, sunday morning and then one hour of fishing on monday afternoon.

Nice pics !! Congrats nice to see someone is getting um !!

Walleyechaser96

« Reply #41 on: Sep 26, 2017, 04:10 AM »

Here is one my buddy caugt last month. His first time walleye fishing and he catches a 26 lol

bherr24

« Reply #42 on: Sep 26, 2017, 10:55 AM »
I got invited to fish a different part of the wabash yesterday evening over in Peru. A fishing buddy of mines friend invited us both over. The last time he had been out was the same weekend where i did so well here in Logansport, he said they caught about 2 dozen walleye and sauger that day along with several catfish and drum. We waded and fished 2 deep holes, much bigger holes then what i fish here in town. Between the 3 of us, there was only 2 short walleye and 1 sauger caught and none were by me as i didn't even get a bump.  Something deffinitely has shut the fish off, glad to see it wasn't just my honey hole lol. My guess would be the heat,  we had a week or 2 of nice cool weather and the bite for all fish really took off. Then the hottest temps of the year show up and it has sucked ever since.  The cool down starts tomorrow, i can't wait.

Greg2ha

• Must fish for fun!
« Reply #43 on: Sep 26, 2017, 12:23 PM »
Nice trip!

bherr24

« Reply #44 on: Sep 27, 2017, 08:18 PM »
Cooler weather has arrived, got  2 wallleye and a sauger tonight. Waded the river a little further upstream from where i had been fishing.  Caught one short walleye, a 17 inch eye and a 16 inch sauger.  My 9 year old son actually caught the bigger walleye tonight i got the shorty and the sauger. Will probably get back out saturday.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.