FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Winni in August  (Read 5600 times)

DT5150

Re: Winni in August
« Reply #15 on: Aug 23, 2017, 10:46 AM »
palomar, for all (snap and swivel)

to add, when using the palomar knot on the swivel portion, tie your 6 ft short leader to the swivel first. then tie to the main line. you can't do it the other way around because of the way the knot is tied.

zwiggles

« Reply #16 on: Aug 23, 2017, 10:55 AM »
DT - do you prefer a certain brand of duo lock vs another? I'm assuming the same as swivels (spro, p-line, and sampo), but would be interested to hear from someone with experience.

DT5150

« Reply #17 on: Aug 23, 2017, 12:49 PM »
pretty sure the snaps i have are eagle claw, not sure what size but they're fairly small. swivels, p-lines are probably my preference. i think i'm using the spros just because i had them, but either will do fine. i like the p-lines the most because they're so small (they'll easily fit through rod eyes) and they do their job very well.

porkpiehat

« Reply #18 on: Aug 23, 2017, 01:24 PM »
pork,

while you certainly can run a fly on a rigger, you would much better off to run some blades on your rigger weight. verticals, horizontals, or both, and run the fly 5-10 behind the blades/ball.

i'll run 50 feet or so of fluoro leader, either 8lb or 6lb, which ever i have, then the same spro swivel, a 5-6ft 6lb. fluoro leader, duo-lock snap setup. i use a 5-6ft short leader so i can still use a swivel, but it keeps the swivel away from the lure enough that the fish don't see it. you can omit the swivel from the equation, but they really help with line twist so they're good to have on there. especially when pulling spoons.

So a swivel will put the fish off but a snap to to lure will not? I don't know that I've ever hooked up using a snap to lure. Or maybe I'm blaming the snap for getting skunked 8)

DT5150

« Reply #19 on: Aug 23, 2017, 02:36 PM »
seemingly so... perhaps the swivel is easier for them to see, i don't know. the spro or p-line swivel 5 or 6 feet up doesn't bother them. and neither does the snap at the lure. that's just my opinion, which is based purely on my own experiences. we catch our fair share and then some using the stuff so... 

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #20 on: Aug 23, 2017, 07:11 PM »
seemingly so... perhaps the swivel is easier for them to see, i don't know. the spro or p-line swivel 5 or 6 feet up doesn't bother them. and neither does the snap at the lure. that's just my opinion, which is based purely on my own experiences. we catch our fair share and then some using the stuff so...  
I agree.
Fish can be caught with a snap swivel. I don't troll with them around here because I think it changes the action of our spoons. I've used size 1 duolocks from Janns for years with no issues. I know guys who use size 2, but I prefer the smaller ones. Always tie em with a palomar.    

fishsluggos

« Reply #21 on: Aug 23, 2017, 08:07 PM »
pretty sure the snaps i have are eagle claw, not sure what size but they're fairly small. swivels, p-lines are probably my preference. i think i'm using the spros just because i had them, but either will do fine. i like the p-lines the most because they're so small (they'll easily fit through rod eyes) and they do their job very well.

My buddy bought a bunch of the small No-Knot-Fast-Snaps and I have been successfully using them for lures & flies. I call them Jesus clips because when I drop one it's, "Jesus where did that go"?

I really like them on lures as it prevents the knot from getting cut off on the edge of split rings. Plus I think they help add action to the lure or fly. Just my. 02.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/No-Knot-Fast-Snaps/701927.uts?productVariantId=1222436&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=10055898&rid=20&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp8Dx0NXu1QIViABpCh1o7gF0EAQYAiABEgJkBvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

porkpiehat

« Reply #22 on: Aug 23, 2017, 09:59 PM »
My buddy bought a bunch of the small No-Knot-Fast-Snaps and I have been successfully using them for lures & flies. I call them Jesus clips because when I drop one it's, "Jesus where did that go"?

I really like them on lures as it prevents the knot from getting cut off on the edge of split rings. Plus I think they help add action to the lure or fly. Just my. 02.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/No-Knot-Fast-Snaps/701927.uts?productVariantId=1222436&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=10055898&rid=20&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp8Dx0NXu1QIViABpCh1o7gF0EAQYAiABEgJkBvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

black or brass? you just made a sale, congrats

porkpiehat

« Reply #23 on: Aug 23, 2017, 10:06 PM »
sorry, nickel not brass

DT5150

« Reply #24 on: Aug 24, 2017, 07:20 AM »
i personally wouldn't use something that doesn't close, but that's just me. i've never tried those, but i wouldn't want to risk losing the fish, or my fly or lure to a jumping, flipping, flopping, rolling salmon. jmho.

fishsluggos

« Reply #25 on: Aug 25, 2017, 07:04 PM »
i personally wouldn't use something that doesn't close, but that's just me. i've never tried those, but i wouldn't want to risk losing the fish, or my fly or lure to a jumping, flipping, flopping, rolling salmon. jmho.

Yes, I was very skeptical also. But they have yet to fail.

However I have had split rings cut me off of nice fish when I've dropped down to 4# fluro leaders that increased the bite but created salmon jewelry.  :o

Again just my .02

fishsluggos

« Reply #26 on: Aug 25, 2017, 07:05 PM »
sorry, nickel not brass

I have the black ones., Don't know if it matters.

FWIW, I don't re-use them to swap lures as they are intended. Just for the possibility that they may get weak and separate as mentioned. I like them for the added action and cutoff protection. They're cheap enough to tie on a new one.

Your mileage may vary. 

dickbaker

« Reply #27 on: Aug 26, 2017, 07:47 AM »
 ???
nope, i still slam em  ;D

???From an old Maine troller, who ties everything directly to 6 lb. mono,   I have to ask what  "slamming" summer salmon indicates?
Dick

Hottuna5150

« Reply #28 on: Aug 26, 2017, 09:08 AM »

http://www.cabelas.com/product/No-Knot-Fast-Snaps/701927.uts?productVariantId=1222436&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=10055898&rid=20&gclid=EAIaI
QobChMIp8Dx0NXu1QIViABpCh1o7gF0EAQYAiABEgJkBvD_Bw E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I wonder if these would work for ice fishing. I hate using swivels above my jigs but I find myself re-tying leaders often when I don't. This could provide a less obvious solution to snap swivels?

DT5150

« Reply #29 on: Aug 28, 2017, 07:52 AM »
dick,

slammin em simply means catching a lot of them.

fellow VH fan,

the duo-lock snaps are just snaps without the swivel attached. much smaller in profile yet they still allow you to change lures quickly.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.