FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Headed to minn  (Read 2063 times)

bigr

Headed to minn
« on: Sep 12, 2017, 01:33 PM »
Leaving the 22nd for a week on a familiar lake chain. Big/Deep/Rice portage lakes. Just a few miles east of Backus MN. Anyone one have any suggestions for a walleye lake in the area for us to try? Not interested in hunting fish on a big body of water. We'll do well on the lg mouth and crappie and gils. Lots of small pike mixed in. No walleye however. Would like to have a good dinner of eyes. Thanks guys. 

MC_angler

Re: Headed to minn
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2017, 03:28 PM »
I have heard good things about Baby Lake, Woman Lake, and Tenmile Lake in the area.

Obviously, Leech Lake is right there and it's famous for walleye, but the no big water requirement rules it out

abishop

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2017, 08:56 PM »
I fished Woman. Nice lake. Only caught 1 walleye there after midnight opening day. I forgot but there is a certain technique presentation that we never seemed to master. Good luck.

bherr24

« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2017, 09:38 PM »
Can't help ya big r, i have never been to Minnesota. Hope you have a great trip though and find ya some walleye. In the meantime maybe hit up the wabash, the eye/sauger bite has started to pick back up for me.

bigr

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2017, 04:27 AM »
Fishing here locally is better but I need a get away. This trip isn't all about fishing. Relaxing, scenic, quiet with the kind of weather I love. The fish are just a bonus. Don't want to put much work into finding fish. If we run into a walleye that will be great but as most of you know eye fishing is alittle tougher than the run of the mill gill crappie bass fishing.

Greg2ha

• Must fish for fun!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2017, 04:47 AM »
Good luck

Gartoon

« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2017, 08:48 AM »
Lake Winnibigoshish was good thought the ice two years ago for eyes
Should be just North of ya  ;D

HoosierPoleCat

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2017, 05:39 AM »
Lindsey lake is a nice lake. I have not fished it in some years though.  :tipup:

bigr

« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2017, 08:48 AM »
We will fish lindsey. Hugh gils but a five fish limit. Not a big deal since we aren't after the meat. It has some big crappie also as well as big jumbo perch. Never caught an eye in there but never really fished for them. Big draw back on Lindsey is it is patrolled by co's almost hourly. If you don't follow every boating and fishing reg you will get a ticket. There is so many regs in Minn it's nearly impossible to know all of them. On the water you don't see many co's but when you put on or take off you can expect a complete inspection.

Jig_Head

« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2017, 11:08 AM »
I fished Woman. Nice lake. Only caught 1 walleye there after midnight opening day. I forgot but there is a certain technique presentation that we never seemed to master. Good luck.
Ya never mastered your technique on woman huh? Lol

Jig_Head

« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 2017, 11:12 AM »
I've only been to Minn once and it was to Leech lake when I was a kid. Good luck

HoosierPoleCat

« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2017, 05:10 AM »
JigHead woman I don't believe can be mastered...no matter how long you try. :tipup:

Jig_Head

« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2017, 12:56 PM »
JigHead woman I don't believe can be mastered...no matter how long you try. :tipup:
:rotflol: :rotflol:

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #13 on: Sep 19, 2017, 12:26 PM »
Good luck. I just got home last Friday from UP of Michigan. Weather was beautiful! 70's during day, down to 40 at night. They had a lot of heat couple of weeks before I went and water temp was 62. Bass were not in shallow until Wednesday night. Caught quite a few in 14' on crank baits during the day. High skys and lots of sun, super clear water and water temps a bit high. Fished several nights had  a couple very slow but a couple had them on the bank! When water temps start to get towards 50's degrees should get better. We had one meal of largemouth and all were stuffed with crawdads which is normal. Couldn't find the big gills.

Leech Lake is loaded with walleyes. Buddy has a place there, they have a slot limit. Difficult to hit the slot as they have a ton of big walleyes!

Great  trip!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

bigr

« Reply #14 on: Oct 04, 2017, 08:46 AM »
Fishing was as good as usual and quality was slightly better. The work required to have these results was tougher. As much as I enjoyed the time away and the area we stayed I still enjoy the familiar and ease of the waters I fish here in Indiana. For me fishing here will result in better numbers, as good as quality with not near the effort. Sad to say but the last thing that I remember about the trip was the white knuckle drive home. Glad to be back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.