FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Closing out the salmon season on winni  (Read 1798 times)

zwiggles

Closing out the salmon season on winni
« on: Sep 25, 2017, 10:03 AM »
I am spending the week up on winni with my parents and brother at my mothers friends cottage. We got up Friday/Saturday and will be here until next Saturday. I had my blinders on last week and somehow missed the forecasted weather as I brought a lot of fall clothes and no shorts. The weather so far has called for swimming more so than fall fishing, but so far we have had great fishing, and nice sunny days. I’ll keep adding reports as the week goes and some photos.

Saturday afternoon we went out for a few hours, and caught a few. I lost a nice salmon after a leap a ways behind the boat, but my friend landed a nice 17” salmon which got released. Finished the night after dark, and started brining in lines, and my dad felt some heavy pressure on one of the lines. He reeled it in, and about 70ft behind the boat something big broke the surface, and all the pressure went off and he reeled in a 5” rock bass. The line was on an otter boat and had 7 colors of lead so we think maybe something big grabbed the rock bass and went for a ride before popping off.

Sunday morning we had lines in just before six, and I lost another salmon right off the bat behind the boat. An hour of chaos ensued with around ten fish in the boat and a few more lost, and then the bite died hard at 7:25am. We got 4 salmon, 2 lakers, and 2 rock bass and smallmouths. Two salmon were over 20”, and we kept them for dinner. One had an RV fin clip and was probably a five year old.

That afternoon we went out again, and caught some diesel white perch, and some more Rockies and smallmouth, but no trout.

My father and I went out again this morning, and had a great morning other than the fog. I am glad the boat traffic disappeared with the weekend, because it was sketchy for a half hour or so with how thick the fog was. Caught 4 salmon, and 4 lakers with 2 smallmouth and a rock bass/eagle food, and lost a few more before we got a look. I caught one real nice male salmon, which again looked to have an RV clip and was over 20”, and fat. My dad got the fish of the day with what we are guessing was the boats PB rainbow. Probably 22”, and close to 5lbs. He fought hard in the top of the water column so we released it quickly, but the fish had massive girth.

The best fish have all come on single flies. I need to go to AJs and get some more.

zwiggles

Re: Closing out the salmon season on winni
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2017, 09:13 AM »
1 nice salmon this morning via the fly rod, and four lakers, some bass, and one huge white perch. Definitely the biggest WP I have caught.

dickbaker

« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2017, 10:07 AM »
 :o Wow!  I'm next year I'm going to give up on Champlain and head down to Winni?
Dick

porkpiehat

« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2017, 02:13 PM »
Before sunrise is key I guess! Mind if I ask which side of the lake you were on?

brownbagger247

« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2017, 06:17 PM »
Nice fish! I'll be fishing the last day on Saturday hopefully end it big. Keep posting them

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2017, 08:06 PM »
Thanks guys!

Out again this evening, and managed a nice salmon 55’ down on the rigger. Really healthy looking male around 17-18”. I got a nice smallmouth 35’ down over 100 fow (go figure), and my dad got another giant white perch. Rock bass as well, I’m really starting to loath them even more so as they keep wrecking my streamers.

No pics tonight. The surface temp was 75 degrees this evening. Hard to believe it’s the end of the season.

zwiggles

« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2017, 08:49 AM »
Out this morning again with my dad. Fog was thick enough that we got turned around twice before we got the ipilot in which was a huge help. First bite around 630, and I lost a nice salmon on the third jump.

Then we missed a few hits, before I landed a nice rainbow probably about 16”. Then we comensed to missing about 6 fish in short hits and ldr’s. Once the fog broke we moved to a deep hole, and trolled up a laker before heading in. Today was a day of misses, but we were so for one after the past few days.

The lake is flat, and beautiful right now. Another nice day so far.

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2017, 07:30 AM »
Nice work!  Catch them up!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.