FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Zombie salmon - underwater footage  (Read 1543 times)

Fishingframes

Zombie salmon - underwater footage
« on: Oct 06, 2017, 09:54 AM »
Run is in full swing and the war wounds are undeniably noticeable. Sushi grade - think not! But still a wonderful display of Mother Nature!

https://youtu.be/lfuF7NHVzCo

taxid

Re: Zombie salmon - underwater footage
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2017, 10:14 AM »
Cool thanks for sharing.

Stupid question: Why would they close the season when they are going to die anyway and are bolstered by stocking?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Fishingframes

« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2017, 10:32 AM »
There is some natural reproduction - and in Ontario hatcheries have limited funding and resources.  Also, a state of mind and satisfaction here that fish can naturally reproduce - especially when talking about our steelies/rainbows.  Certain rivers - clubs and organizations don’t want hatchery fish sharing the same limited waters with the natural gene pool.  Selective harvest - bonk the hatchery fish.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2017, 02:03 PM »
again this is  opinion  but it is  backed  up  by the fact you never see  smolt or  catch a  fingerling  salmon  in  any of the  tribs natural  reproduction is  a lot  less  then   people  think! if there  was  any of  any amount  you  would  see  smolt and  fingerlings in  salmon  river   you  don't ..... is  it  different in  ontarion  ...maybe   but i  don't  think so  i  think they just  don't want to  put  money in the  fishery when they can  sit  back  and  get the  overflo  from  the US .......it's  called a  put and take  fishery  boys and  girls  ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2017, 02:41 PM »
Can't speak for larger tribes but small ones up near Watertown have lots of natural reproduction.  Saw it myself when I worked with Watertown DEC fisheries crew electroshocking them.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2017, 04:32 PM »
show  me  the  fingerlings  that's all I  ask ,,,

problem  with  naturel reprotection isn't if it  happens  i have seen salmon spawn  we all have  it's the  fact that   our  water   never stays  at a  constant flo  the  temps   the  extrem  spring run off  after that  the  little  guys that are  left  have  to get ate  by  fall back  steelies  then  rock bass  and  do you have  any idea  how many  smallies  come  up those  tribs??  of  so a  few  make  it  to the  shore  of lake ontario  were  the  cormorant awaits  diner  ......  they had the same  problem when they released  the  salmon   right from the  hatchery  or attempted to  stock in the tribs  themselves  most the   fish were  lost thats  why they now  take  them out  on the  barge and  dump them ...... after  50  years of stocking  if  we were  going to have a  self   sufficient fishery  it  would  have happened  about  46 years ago  ....

little  note   when the  big mercury and  mirex  scare  happened  in the  70's  then  Gov.  mario cuomo halted  the  stocking  program the results were   4  years later  no  fish!  no natural reprotection i guess  ......  just my  2  cents
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.