FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Champlain pike warmup.  (Read 2558 times)

lowaccord66

Champlain pike warmup.
« on: Oct 09, 2017, 06:40 PM »
A weekend trip to the northern most part of Champlain provided a challenge, great memories, and of course some pike for buddy Eric and me.  We stayed at Holiday Harbor  which continued to be an awesome place to stay.

The forecast a week out looked great.  Light south winds, cloud cover and showers.  Seemed perfect.  Of course the light south wind was actually much stronger than forecast and made a few spots I wanted to check out unfishable.  We persisted and ended up with a handful of pike and only pike.  The 9 mile ride back to to hotel probably broke my spleen a little...

Sunday was much windier.  I had decided to pull the boat rather than dock it at Bruce's figuring we may want to launch closer to the target area.  That proved to be smart because we backtracked to the area we fished the evening before to find some big chop and too many floating weeds to fish in.

We made a move back very close to the Canadian border trying to escape the wind and to find some fishable water.  Eventually we found a group of pike and racked up 11 or so between us in a couple hours.  It poured hard to a point where visibility sucked so I decided to stay put which helped us land a few more.  As soon as the sun came out the bite stopped and we called it early after seeing a few miles of brown lake water where it had previously been clear.

Here are some pics...a few from Saturday:

Sunday was more productive for a few larger specimens but nothing life changing:

Eric was excited to get started...

Great weekend, we are lucky we were able to get a few with the weather the way it was.  Ill be returning soon when conditions are ideal because the bite is peaking.  For any of the guys that love the place on ice.  I was around the corner...the bite in open water is something you need to try!

Baitbucket

Re: Champlain pike warmup.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2017, 06:46 PM »
Nice looking slimers there Jon! I may make my first trip ever up that way this winter.

imsafanct

« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2017, 07:09 PM »
Nicely written as I knew it would be. Thank you Jon, that was a blast and it's gonna be hard to compete with a weekend like that here in CT for the next bit. Looking forward to the next trip!

-Eric

bogtrotter

« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2017, 07:11 PM »
Some gorgeous fish!  Congratulations!

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2017, 07:16 PM »
Nice trip Jon

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2017, 07:27 PM »
Thanks guys.  Hard not to like it up there.  Will you'd enjoy it.  Its kind of like a massive quabbin you can ice fish on.  With good ice you could effictively chase almost every freshwater sport fish in New England.   

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2017, 08:50 PM »
Looks like some good fishing. Can't wait to hit there on the hardwater. Still finding it hard to drag myself away from the salt just yet. You are right Jon. When the ice is good there you can fish for anything.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2017, 08:02 AM »
Jeff we could have easily been into 30 or 40 if the weather wasnt so rough.  The bite was solid...controlling the presentations so they got hit....not as solid. 

manitron

« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2017, 08:09 AM »
Great post as usual Jon.  Persistence and fortitude rule the day.

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2017, 08:19 AM »
Thanks Manny.  On a seperate note...the border patrol efforts have been ramped up a lot.  If you travel up that way 87 in NY, 89 in VT, 93 in NH have had stops.  We got stopped on the way back from lakers last trip up.  Not a huge deal but 78 miles from the border is slightly disconcerting.  For me the traffic and towing with the 5.9 leads to a warm engine so I try to avoid them.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2017, 09:00 AM »
Looks like a good time!!!

westernmas

« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2017, 12:20 PM »
Nice trip.  Looks like a fun time.  I haven't caught a pike in a long while.  Might be feeling sick sometime soon.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

fish wayniac

« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2017, 05:36 AM »
You guys got into some nice Pike. That is a long boat ride back to North hero on a rough lake. Looks like a nice trip.

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2017, 05:47 AM »
You guys got into some nice Pike. That is a long boat ride back to North hero on a rough lake. Looks like a nice trip.

It was a long one for sure!  9 miles felt like 20!

fontona19

« Reply #14 on: Oct 11, 2017, 06:27 PM »
Nice captures sir!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.